How do I know when I'm being bluffed?

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are folding too much, your opponents will likely notice it and start bluff you more often than they should, now you have to call more than usual.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldn't worry if someone is bluffing you. What is more important is weighing how strong your hand is against how much its going to cost you to continue in a hand either in a tourn or in a cash game.

As folks have told you in this thread. you will have to take notes on the strength of folks hands when they go to showdown and pay attention to how many hands they play. A lot of hands played means they have zero clue about starting hands. Calling a big bet when they don't need to or with a weak hand means they're a calling station. And I'm not talking about your hands with people but how they play others at the table. So its important to pay attention to what is going on at the table.

When I play freerolls either with Cardschat or on the poker site I play, I rarely bluff and that goes back to the old saying "you don't bluff a bad player". If I bluff and show you then it means I think you're at least not a calling station and you have a clue about starting hands.

My real message to you is to forget about the bluffing stuff and weigh the cost of continuing to play a hand against the strength of your hand. And don't fall for these beginner mistakes of watching some maniac play and raise every hand and you decide to play back at them with a marginal or drawing hand and they finally get a hand and sucker you into giving them your chips. That's what these folks try to do, give action so that when they finally get a hand you pay them off, lol. Its silly.

Check your ego and don't worry about if someone bluffs you. They are making mistakes left and right and they're going to pay one way or another.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just let the bluffer go crazy with his/ her bids. Sooner or later you or somebody will have THE hand that will take them down. Try not to laugh too hard when it happens !!

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No idea, but chances are if you over bet, a bluffer will fold. It is a big risk for you but sometimes you have to do it. Before doing it, you should know who you are raising against. Your cards should be good come showdown, or you are just bluffing yourself.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at Postflop Aggression stats and make a decision

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situation.
The enemy's unreasonable bluff may also be hit.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
get more tight and go only with strong hands

I

intheline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately there is no recipe for this. Try to understand the atmosphere of the spot and see if there are hands in his range that would make sense for him to use the bluff tool in that situation.
Rate the player if it's someone very loose, only accept if you can't defend yourself. Poker money also comes from our fold.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have to show off here a little . i am a player who often has called with not having much but won because i thought that the opponent is bluffing and i was right many times

to be honest i often go by my "feeling" . i often can sense that something is not right . but often i also analyse the betting pattern ...if it makes sense or not . for example if i raise with AK and get called and the flop comes K-8-3 with 2 hearts and i c-bet and get called and the turn is a 8 of spades and i check and he/she checks . then the river is a 4 of diamonds and i check and the opponents bets heavily . i can sense that it is a missed flush draw and trying to represent an 8 . because he/she would have bet on the turn most likely

it just comes with experience . many times you may be wrong until you get your flow . dont try to bust bluffs too often though . it can become expenseive

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It is very common that from time to time, a bluffer appears who raises the bet and continues to play me and shows and has nothing, It is annoying how I can detect them when they bluff, or some tips to not fall for bluffers so much
''

There is no exact way to know when your being bluffed. I could bluff and show you 10 times in a row and then you finally call me I could each 4 of a kind.

Bluffing properly is really a science as is bluff catching. A great player can bluff you and you would never know. How do greet players catch so many bluffs? They read the players and the board very well.

My suggestion on how to best start learning bluff and this will take you a lot of time to get down is this. When you working on this you should probably only play 1 table. You need to watch each player and more, the hand the show and how they play. Every hand you watch try playing them. Look at they actions made and what hands they could have.

Now how to tell if its a bluff. It depends on the players. Very lose and aggressive are harder than tighter players. Lets say you have AsKs and you raise UTG and get called by a tighter player who you suspect bluffs in the SB who is a decent player. You know he is not crazy and playing to many hands. The flop is Ac Kd 2s. You bet and he calls. What hands does he have He called so aces and kings are out. What 2's does he have other than pocket 2's. the turn is a 3 of hears. You bet again and he just calls. OK what does he really have here? Would he really call the flop like this with pocket 3's? river is a 3d and bets out pot and 1/2. So he is representing the 3 was big for him.

You should ask you self what hands would he have called in the SB that have a 3? A3 would make sense but does it. I said he was not crazy. would he call 32 or 42 or even 52? no. K2s or Q2s? I said he was not to loose so that does not make sense. A3o not but A3s he may. you have the ace of spaids so A3s is out. Ace of club on the flop A3c is out. a 3 of hearts and and 3 of diamonds on the river take out A3 of hearts and diamond. SO that all bluff here.

We already know he did not 3 bet you preflop so a boat holding pocket aces or kings are out.

Pocket 2's are all that left but is it? UTG does not raise many hands so they? if your not crazy he will see that and realize you may have some thinking like aces, kings or a big ace. If he has flopped the set he would have most likely check raised you on the flop or turn now wouldn't he? In this situation you are most likely being bluffed. He could have it but how often would he?

Read the story he is tell and ask yourself if it makes sense. It it does not you maybe seeing a bluff. You will never be 100% correct or very much better than 40 or 50% correct but this is what you can do to attempt to catch them. I have done well catching them but there are alot of time its just wrong.

B

bethqueen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Buy to know this only with crystal ball.
There are certain micro details that can sell this kind of situation like the weather, sizes etc.
The tip I can give you is to notice these details and know who you're playing with.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to watch your opponent play if raise a lot and many times are more likely to bluff more than once.
The problem with this is that you can't tell if he's bluffing right now or if for example 8.4o at her hand on an 8.4.4 flop .
This is why it is difficult to play against such players. In this case, one can do it by waiting for a better card and trapping the aggressive raiser opponent.
Of course, it is also the case that someone is tight all the way through and takes advantage of this to hide a well-executed bluff, but this is rarer and less common, which is why it can be such a lucrative solution.