How do I get better? What can I do to improve my game?

SweeTeaRex

SweeTeaRex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Sorry if simple question.

Currently I play cash games on ignition and America's Card Room. I use a poker tracker to track my funds. I'm losing money playing micro stakes online.

I just played in a freeroll tournament the other day, and won 3rd and 10 dollars.

Maybe tournaments are a better investment?

I've been using my money won/lose as a skill indicator.

Since I keep losing money, what can I do to improve?

Some say online is too hard, while others do fine.

Some swear by doing only live games. I haven't played a live game yet.

joan moreno

joan moreno

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
friend, study before playing, help and be as relaxed as possible, the variance in poker is something that cannot be controlled, focus on your skills as a player and don't lose hope, keep insisting until you reach the goal

SweeTeaRex

SweeTeaRex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
friend, study before playing, help and be as relaxed as possible, the variance in poker is something that cannot be controlled, focus on your skills as a player and don't lose hope, keep insisting until you reach the goal
Thank you for your words!

When you say study, what should I be studying?

joan moreno

joan moreno

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
¡Gracias por tus palabras!

Cuando dices estudiar, ¿qué debería estar estudia
It depends on what you are failing but nevertheless the study is not only what we need to improve but in general everything you know

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Currently I play cash games on Ignition and America's Card Room. I use a poker tracker to track my funds. I'm losing money playing micro stakes online.

I just played in a freeroll tournament the other day, and won 3rd and 10 dollars.

Everything is simple. Play freerolls, accumulate bankroll, gain experience and improve your skills. Freerolls are a great option, you play without risking your own money, and at the same time you gain experience and improve your skills. After a year, when your bankroll is really big, you can start playing in tournaments with buy-ins. Step by step, take your time :)

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Study everything! You are always going to be the big blind and small blind so go to YouTube and find strategies in those positions. Do the same for the button. Then do the same for all the positions. Study everything you can find on bet sizing. Study on how to play when you have a small, medium, and big chip stacks. Study ranges. This is a big one, study poker math (maybe start with this one). There are tons and tons of stuff to study with this game. The game continues to change so there is always something to be studied. You can improve your game, it is all up to you and how hard you want to work at it.

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The only way to get out of low levels is to study constantly, whether as part of a school or studying on your own. But without studies nothing is achieved

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is the desire to play more than interest in the game? microlimit cash is a swamp, it’s easy to get stuck there

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You must work on your game by watching video work with poker programs work with coach play game and find the mistake in game

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your words!

When you say study, what should I be studying?
First thing to study is GTO ranges- they are the starting point for all online-play- exploit poker means moving from gto but if you do not know gto how do you move away correctly?

Luckily you can study preflop ranges for free by signing up to GTOWIZARD- It also allows you one post flop solution every day so you can study that as well for free.

:unsure::geek:

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
I think you should spend some time learning poker on online tournaments to gain experience.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Currently I play cash games on Ignition and America's Card Room. I use a poker tracker to track my funds. I'm losing money playing micro stakes online.

I am assuming that you are new to poker, or at least playing for real money, so apologies if that is not the case.

Firstly, you should not expect to be a winning player straight away almost no one is and of those that are, they are almost certainly on the correct end of variance.

Secondly, do not use money won/lost as a skill indicator - yes, winnings is how we keep score, but it is only a fraction of the story.

Lastly, how do you improve? There are loads of things you can do. Some are free, some are cheap and some are very expensive.

Free:
Number one recommendation for beginners is CardChats own 30 Day course - https://www.cardschat.com/poker/strategy/become-a-winning-poker-player/ - this is great for beginners. Breaks down the main concepts of the game and gives you an insight into basic strategy.

YouTube / Twitch - There is so much free content out there with training videos and live streamers. Check out people like Jonathan Little, Bencb, Doug Polk etc. *Warning* watching live streamers can be entertaining, but if you're looking to learn good strategy, you must focus on one or two points and take notes. Simply passively watching adds about as much value as watching your favourite show on Netflix.

Forums - post hands, read and join in discussions. Post your opinions and question other people's if it doesn't make sense to you.

Cheap:
Books. There are loads of books out there. I won't bother to list them, but take a look through the forum and you will find loads of recommendations.

Tracking software. Something like Holdem Manager or Poker Tracker is a must. They're relatively cheap, especially for the micro-stakes versions, but probably the single best investment you can make. Having the ability to review your own hands, share with others and find leaks is HUGE.

Expensive:
Join a training site. Some training sites are cheaper than others and some allow you to buy a certain package or course. This will prove expensive over the long run, but if you apply yourself and study in the right ways, it will pay you back in the long run.
Hire a coach. Probably the most expensive option, depending on the coach. The thing with a coach is they will have a knowledge of the game that will allow them to fast track you through a lot of the learning. Learning by yourself takes a lot longer because you likely don't even know what you're looking for, so you're often stumbling around until you happen across something that looks like it might be a mistake and then you have to figure out how to fix it. A coach can do all of that, probably in an hour and then help create a plan for fixing your leak(s).

Last edited:
sibkaz

sibkaz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
The desire if there is, is found and motivation that will give the opportunity to see prospects.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am assuming that you are new to poker, or at least playing for real money, so apologies if that is not the case.

Firstly, you should not expect to be a winning player straight away almost no one is and of those that are, they are almost certainly on the correct end of variance.

Secondly, do not use money won/lost as a skill indicator - yes, winnings is how we keep score, but it is only a fraction of the story.

Lastly, how do you improve? There are loads of things you can do. Some are free, some are cheap and some are very expensive.

Free:
Number one recommendation for beginners is CardChats own 30 Day course - https://www.cardschat.com/poker/strategy/become-a-winning-poker-player/ - this is great for beginners. Breaks down the main concepts of the game and gives you an insight into basic strategy.

YouTube / Twitch - There is so much free content out there with training videos and live streamers. Check out people like Jonathan Little, Bencb, Doug Polk etc. *Warning* watching live streamers can be entertaining, but if you're looking to learn good strategy, you must focus on one or two points and take notes. Simply passively watching adds about as much value as watching your favourite show on Netflix.

Forums - post hands, read and join in discussions. Post your opinions and question other people's if it doesn't make sense to you.

Cheap:
Books. There are loads of books out there. I won't bother to list them, but take a look through the forum and you will find loads of recommendations.

Tracking software. Something like Holdem Manager or Poker Tracker is a must. They're relatively cheap, especially for the micro-stakes versions, but probably the single best investment you can make. Having the ability to review your own hands, share with others and find leaks is HUGE.

Expensive:
Join a training site. Some training sites are cheaper than others and some allow you to buy a certain package or course. This will prove expensive over the long run, but if you apply yourself and study in the right ways, it will pay you back in the long run.
Hire a coach. Probably the most expensive option, depending on the coach. The thing with a coach is they will have a knowledge of the game that will allow them to fast track you through a lot of the learning. Learning by yourself takes a lot longer because you likely don't even know what you're looking for, so you're often stumbling around until you happen across something that looks like it might be a mistake and then you have to figure out how to fix it. A coach can do all of that, probably in an hour and then help create a plan for fixing your leak(s).

Great answer Matt & I've noticed that your studying has been paying off for yourself.

I'd agree with everything you've written here except for 'hire a coach'. I just think it's way too early for OP to be looking at this as an option (although I'm guessing you weren't meaning it to be an immediate option but more as something further down the road)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Check out Matt_Burns answer in this thread (Just a couple posts above this one).

Rex, check out the Cardschat 30-day course.

And yes, online poker is tougher than live poker (it's because the players are better).
Try playing cheap tournaments for awhile... and then try playing cheapest cash games for awhile (not at the same time, stick with one format for at least a few weeks before trying out the other, and do so in hopes of discovering which format you like playing more). Once you think you've found the format you prefer, stick to that and play it for months!

Hope you're able to enjoy the journey!

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Great answer Matt & I've noticed that your studying has been paying off for yourself.

I'd agree with everything you've written here except for 'hire a coach'. I just think it's way too early for OP to be looking at this as an option (although I'm guessing you weren't meaning it to be an immediate option but more as something further down the road)
Thanks! Yes, studying certainly pays you back in the long run.

re: a coach. Yes, normally I would say this is something for much further down the line, as you can make so many significant improvements to your game with all the other, cheaper content out there. You will get to a point though, where a coach is necessary to take you to that "next level". Personally, I have never paid for private coaching and I doubt I ever will, but it is an option. Also, if you have a lot of expendable income, then hiring a coach will definitely fast-track your learning. However finding a good coach to teach the fundamentals is not easy, because the good coaches are generally teaching more advanced stuff.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You can definitely start keeping your own statistics. Statistics are a very valuable source of information, and this information will allow you to better understand which games you should focus on. For example, I play only in tournaments, because according to statistics, they are more profitable for me than cash games.

Top 10 Games