How to build a br from 0$ on ftp

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chris ferguson had a pretty good article on full tilt about starting with no money and building it to $10,000 is his goal. thanks for the input. I am trying to play with out making any deposits

yes i saw it, i like his ideas but i just dont like playing at low buy in sit n gos. I think they are just a joke with bunch of donks in them that love the all in button. I'm not saying everyone in them is a donk because there are some good players that play in them, but I find it a lot easier to win the 5 and 6$ games.

the clêaner

the clêaner

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Op, if it is you that is interested in building a bankroll from 0. I can give you some advise. Does it has to be FTP ?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the quirk with FTP is that it doesn't offer 1/2c ring games, so if you've got a bankroll of $2 from a freeroll, you've only got four choices: $1.25 SnGs in either 9 or 90-player NLHE, 8-player Razz or 8-player HORSE. 90 player NLHE is a major crapshoot at this level.

I chose Razz, came 4th (after well over an hour of play - even the chip leader had less than 10 big bets in their stack) and now I'm back to the start again *sigh*

This time I'll probably try what the OP suggested and see if I can get a couple of cashes under my belt before I start back on the real money.

R

ruffcut68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting, check out Chris Ferguson's challenge on full tilt for his perspective on Bank Roll management

Heard there is a tough crowd on poker stars so am starting there with nothing. Site I used to play crashed a lot.
If you want to sign up at poker stars use the links provided on this site.

millviller

millviller

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you bob just take your time and play the freerolls and build your bankroll before hitting the real tables. I am just starting that theroy and will let everone know how it is going in a month or so. Everyone keep up the good work and hope all your cards are pocket rockets haha.

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like a good idea. But i don't agree that the $5 and $6 sng's are easier than the $2 and $3. It should make it easier that there are donks there, not harder.

F

fishfood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You read my mind. It took Chris Ferguson 7 months to get a br steady at $6.50 and from there he has built it up to nearly $10,000 in a total of 16 months. I want to do the same thing but I am also getting rakeback so I hope that will help me.

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
7 months to $6.50? I dont belive that!!

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
7 months to $6.50? I dont belive that!!

I find that hard to believe, too. I have won a few cents to a dollar in a number of freerolls this last week and I am not QUITE as good as Chris. Also, I have to take 8 hours out every day to go to work.:rolleyes:

S

Shumla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the information. I have been playing the dollar ones will try the 5 dollar ones and see if it helps.
Shumla

XXIII

XXIII

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am trying the same at Ultimate Bet. After 6 hours in a Freeroll I left with $4.

After some .01/.02 tables and SnGs I got it to about $8 at the end of my 1st week.

But then I had a horrible run and by the end of the 2nd week I was down to .75.

So I took my .75 and went to the .50+.05 SnG. And haven't looked back.

My Bankroll is over $21 as of 15 mins ago.

Impressive? Nah. But I was at $0 a few weeks ago.

Eour

Eour

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i agree, but im just talking about people who do have a card and just dont want to deposit so if they lose it they dont get addicted to it. I really dont think you would have to wait 2 month. Like in the CC free rolls u can win couple of bucks here and there and in regular free rolls. But im saving to save it up and then play something bigger. also those 1$ 2$ mtts r not even worth it, most of the time you will get unlucky against some donk and lose. but starting from 0 is hard but it is possible and i know a guy who started with nothing and now he got a nice br.

If your on this site you are addicted.

A

AnAirplane

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been trying this for the past few days, getting in every freeroll I can on Full Tilt and Poker Stars. So far my bankroll's at $0.10--lovely, eh?

R

ruffcut68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, I like your idea. I started with nothing on Poker Stars. Now have $2.56 it's not much but it is a start. Going to enter 1 tourney when it's up to $10

A

Alcatraz75

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what i'm doing right now started from 0$ but my goal is to reach 100$
before starting to play cash game or mtt here my result so far :

so far i played in 8 freeroll at Full Tilt

08/15/2007
finish in 9th place for 3$

08/16/2007
finish in 3rd place for 9$

08/17/2007
finish in 8th place for 3$

Total :15$ not bad so far ;)

Talk to you later i'm in one right now ;) (33 of 181)

A

Alcatraz75

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what i'm doing right now started from 0$ but my goal is to reach 100$
before starting to play cash game or mtt here my result so far :

so far i played in 8 freeroll at Full Tilt

08/15/2007
finish in 9th place for 3$

08/16/2007
finish in 3rd place for 9$

08/17/2007
finish in 8th place for 3$

Total :15$ not bad so far ;)

Talk to you later i'm in one right now ;) (30 of 174)

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a really interesting post. At the end of the day, there are 2 ways to approach this once you win some $ in the freerolls and it's all depedent on your attitude to 'risk of ruin'. I like the OP's idea of building a BR up through the freerolls, so it gives you a better shot at using the money later, with a more meaningful BR. The usual common 'safe' approach to BR management is 20+ buy ins for NL cash, 300BB's for Limit cash and 20+ buy ins for SnG's. So finding a site that has really low micro limits is essential here. If, however, you have a more riskier approach then once you have a few $ you can take a shot at 1 or 2 SNG's or a couple of buy ins at cash. I suppose you are basically hoping you get lucky early here and double up your money. Chances are you wil go broke, so you start again. I prefer the safe approach here as I have gone bust a few times when under rolled.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one question i doo have how do we get the money out once we decide to cash out

Here is a question nobody addressed. Depending on the site, this may be a problem. Some other post talked about FTP procedures and suggested depositing changes the rules so withdrawal is easier. Back when I could use neteller, this was no problem since I could move my bankroll from site to site with no charges.

e_jenks

e_jenks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bob , this was a good read and i will keep it in mind when im playing , also the chris ferguson challenge is very intersting and havent checked it in a while but he must be at 10000 now

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bob , this was a good read and i will keep it in mind when im playing , also the chris ferguson challenge is very intersting and havent checked it in a while but he must be at 10000 now

I think he is at 13k. There was a poll at full tilt, and people vote for when they think he should stop this experiment.
The options are 10k, 100k and 1M. I think he has got the hardest part out the way and he should try to get to 100k. :)

D

DCL88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is Chirs's Ferguson's article for those of you who are too lazy to look it up :p
"
I'm almost a year into an experiment on full tilt poker. I'm attempting to turn $0 into a $10,000 bankroll. With no money to start with, I had no choice but to start out playing Freerolls. Starting out, I'd often manage to win a dollar or two, but I'd quickly get busted and have to start over again. It took some time but, after awhile, I was eventually able to graduate to games that required an actual buy-in.
Even today, people don't believe it's really me when I sit down at Full Tilt's small stakes games. They ask what I'm doing down here, and often tell me stories about how they turned $5 into $500 or $100 into $1,000. Usually, these stories end with the person telling me that they went broke. There's no surprise there. These folks tried to quickly build a bankroll by gambling. They'd play in a game that was beyond their bankroll and, if they happened to win, they'd move up to a higher limit and risk it all one more time. Inevitably, they'd lose a few big hands and go broke.
For me, this experiment isn't about the money. It's about showing how, with proper bankroll management, you can start from nothing and move up to the point where you're playing in some pretty big games. I know it's possible because I did it once before, turning $1 into $20,000.
To ensure that I keep my bankroll intact, I've adopted some key rules:
I'll never buy into a cash game or a Sit & Go with more than 5 percent of my total bankroll (there is an exception for the lowest limits: I'm allowed to buy into any game with a buy-in of $2.50 or less).
I won't buy into a multi-table tournament for more than 2 percent of my total bankroll and I'm allowed to buy into any multi-table tournament that costs $1.
If at any time during a No-Limit or Pot-Limit cash-game session the money on the table represents more than 10 percent of my total bankroll, I must leave the game when the blinds reach me.
I think a lot of players would do well to apply these rules. One great benefit from this approach to bankroll management is that it ensures you'll be playing in games you can afford. You'll never play for very long in a game that's over your head because, when you're losing, you'll have no choice but to drop down to a smaller game. You can continue to sharpen your game at that lower limit until your bankroll allows you to move up and take another shot. These rules also prevent you from being completely decimated by a bad run of cards.
Dropping down and playing lower limits is difficult for a lot of players. They view it as a failure and their egos get in the way. Many want to remain at the level they'd been playing and win back their losses. But this can lead to some pretty severe tilt - and that can go through a bankroll in a hurry. I know that dropping down was difficult for me in my run from $1 to $20,000. When I first played in the $25/$50 game, I lost. Sticking to my rules, I dropped down to the $10/$25 game. I had a losing streak there and had to go down to $5/$10. That was tough. After playing $25/$50, a $5/$10 game was boring to me.
But I had the discipline to stick to my rules, and that motivated me to play better at the lower levels. I really didn't want to lose any more because I knew the consequences: I'd have to play even lower and work even harder to get back to where I'd been, which could take as long as a month. If you ever find yourself bored or frustrated playing at the lower limits, you're obviously not playing well. Take a break from the game. Often, stepping away can give you a fresh perspective and heightened motivation to play well when you return.
There are a couple of more tips I'd like to share regarding bankroll management. First, you should never play in a game that is beyond your bankroll simply because the game seems to be soft that day. It's never soft enough to risk money that puts your bankroll in jeopardy. The other point is that you should avoid playing in games that are at the top of your bankroll limits, when a lower game offers more opportunity for profit.
I'm confident that by sticking to these sound bankroll management rules, I'll make it to my $10,000 goal. These rules are sure to help you as well, as you pursue your own poker ambitions. So, if you want to start your own quest - or play against me while I'm continuing with mine - come open a free account at Full Tilt Poker and look for me online. But hurry, because I'm hoping I won't be in the lower limits for too much longer."
Chris Ferguson

H

HntrBride

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love reading these, you get so much input and strategy. Great Ideas! I for one....the first thing I hda to learn is PATIENCE----without that..bankroll or not....you WILL lose your winnings. The discipline of NOT spending your winnings ie: .78 in a free roll was my latest and what's currently in my bankroll on FT.... well there it's easy cuz I can't do anything with it. I'm going to try...TRY I SAY...to win more...let it build...so I have more respect for the buy in amount and not just say...screw it it's only .25c...lol. Great food for thought...I will take it with me :D

I

Ironsong

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i saw it, i like his ideas but i just dont like playing at low buy in sit n gos. I think they are just a joke with bunch of donks in them that love the all in button.

I liked the article, which I am working on atm, but I haven't had much luck, yet:confused: . I think his rules are strict, 2% for MTT and 10% STT (I think that is correct, but I'd have to go back and check to make sure), and if you get more than 10% of your bank roll in front of you, then you have to leave the game. I have yet to cash in any freeroll that I have signed up for. Best I've did in any of them is 215th out of 2700. Not sure if that is good or not, but it's what I did.

I consider myself a newbie even thouogh I've played about a year now, and maybe I play too tight for my own good. The donks that love the all in button annoy me to no end. Now I can see getting a good starting hand 2 times in a row, MAYBE 3 times, but more than that...come on. I consider myself a patient person when it comes to cards. I can wait 20 to 30 hands before I get one i'll even think of playing with, and I have even blinded out of a tourny and never got what I consider a good starting hand.

Oh well, maybe that will change once I figure out how to play the other cards I consider junk :D .

respectfully,
Ironsong

I

Ironsong

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i saw it, i like his ideas but i just dont like playing at low buy in sit n gos. I think they are just a joke with bunch of donks in them that love the all in button.

I liked the article, which I am working on atm, but I haven't had much luck, yet:confused: . I think his rules are strict, 2% for MTT and 10% STT (I think that is correct, but I'd have to go back and check to make sure), and if you get more than 10% of your bank roll in front of you, then you have to leave the game. I have yet to cash in any freeroll that I have signed up for. Best I've did in any of them is 215th out of 2700. Not sure if that is good or not, but it's what I did.

I consider myself a newbie even thouogh I've played about a year now, and maybe I play too tight for my own good. The donks that love the all in button annoy me to no end. Now I can see getting a good starting hand 2 times in a row, MAYBE 3 times, but more than that...come on. I consider myself a patient person when it comes to cards. I can wait 20 to 30 hands before I get one i'll even think of playing with, and I have even blinded out of a tourny and never got what I consider a good starting hand.

Oh well, maybe that will change once I figure out how to play the other cards I consider junk :D .

respectfully,
Ironsong