How to approach a freeroll decently

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend to you t play really tight way just play the best hand and when you have one try to do the best to double up your chips after that pretty much the same for the first levels once with a decent above average stack you could start playing more hands when it's chip meet player who are tight maybe try to bluff some time using your stack but really careful you most of time just have to be patient and understand that if you play 20 freerrols if you're lucky you'll win 2 or 3 tops with a very good strategy because variance in tournaments is really really high... I just was playing yestarday and bust out with AA I go all in little below average stack someone calls with KK and the K comes on the turn nothing to do there just to be patient :D

N

nathan66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've a played a lot of freerolls those past weeks (thanks pokerstars with their 100, 200 and 300$ hourly freerolls, they're gone now :( ), just don't follow the early all-ins and play really tight in early then you can play a lot more hands, be agressive sometimes and try to be unpredictable that's the key of success

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Few things not mentioned are your stack size with regards to the starting blinds, whether it's a hyper-turbo, turbo tournament, the deeper you are the more mind games..

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each freeroll i use to play i struggle to stay ITM and i bust when i hit the money. I want to go further. Should i play mor agressive when the blinds are smaller? Do you have some tips ?

Thanks you

I think you'd better play by default, not invent too much.
Tight at the beginning and it's coming loose.
Sometimes playing the game starts to work, but when you play without that standard a freeroll will certainly be knocked over in the first few rounds. In short, play the strength of the cards because if you pay attention you will realize that most players do not know what they are doing, let alone what the opponent is doing,

Q

Quinoto21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people do bust when they hit the money, because after being ITM, you are going for the win!!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play more aggressively when the blinds are more on the bubble.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each freeroll i use to play i struggle to stay ITM and i bust when i hit the money. I want to go further. Should i play mor agressive when the blinds are smaller? Do you have some tips ?

Thanks you
I think your problem probably is that you're not playing as aggressive as you should when the blinds are getting significant in proportion to your stack, not when the blinds are "small".

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing tight for the first hour and raising only top hands is a good start, nearing the bubble is also a good time to increase your stack when many just fold trying to get to ITM, At the final table ,its time to be aggressive to be able to win

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is ok to take gambles early on. I'd rather bust out early or build a big stack than to sit around patiently only to be force to fight for your tourney life as blinds rise.

If you bubble, you just wasted your time. I'd rather be boom or bust.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like others have said, tight ABC. Yes, some others who are going all in will double up several times, but they'll face huge variance and go out more often than win their shoves. I've placed ITM in a couple freerolls so far, and what helps me is to resist the urge to bluff, they'll call your shove with literally anything (but then hit a set on the river). You can't scare freerollers in the early stages, don't try. Assume you're goinng to the showdown every time, unless you have a table full of limpers and you're on the button. Every single time I lose in a freeroll, it's because I tried to bluff and they didn't know or care enough to play poker.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I gamble it up early and try to build a stack then turn to my A game. Not really the best game plan but it let's me test some -ev poker moves for free.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's smart to treat free rolls like a regular tournament so you feel some sense of pressure. If you skip the first 5-10 minutes of them the all-in's will be over with and you can start to play your style.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way is to avoid going all in in the first minutes of play unless we have very strong hands like AA or KK. In these instances many players go all in without any sense just because it is a free tournament and we can lose having a good hand. After a few minutes the game is normalized and we can play in a better way. And when we are close to the bubble ... let them be eliminated among them and wait for the collection. regards