How to approach a freeroll decently

P

pierreb292

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each freeroll i use to play i struggle to stay ITM and i bust when i hit the money. I want to go further. Should i play mor agressive when the blinds are smaller? Do you have some tips ?

Thanks you

mike55k

mike55k

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes its hard to play aggressive in the first round of a free roll because so many people Just go all in over and over until thy double or bust

drejva11

drejva11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should stay a bit passive at at the start unless you have a really good hand to go all-in and try to build a decent stack to the bubble. Then you should maybe start playing a bit aggresive with bets etc.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a general rule, playing very tight at the beginning is ideal.
Early, any two cards may call a be,t and the more callers the more likely your hand looses strength. I additionally like to play very aggressive with my premium hands. If I lose, then I did not waste too much time.

Building your stack is definitely ideal during the middle game. A little looser, play position, and tight on the flop.

Finally, I find that more aggression is ideal for the end game play as the less experienced will want to hold on to their chips and are less hesitant to play.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each freeroll i use to play i struggle to stay ITM and i bust when i hit the money. I want to go further. Should i play mor agressive when the blinds are smaller? Do you have some tips ?

Thanks you

freerolls are no different than any other tournament. You have a tighter range early on, open up slightly more during the middle stages of the tournament. Open up even more towards the end. Aggression is important throughout the tournament. Early on it doesn't matter as much if you are aggressive because some of the players are just there wasting time and don't care if they bust. Therefore they will call down just to call down. Just pay attention to the players it's not hard to figure out how someone is playing.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im one that will try to double or triple up no matter what. then I play my game I am very tight after that, unnless I have a stack to play alot of hands. I will fold alot on final table to bump. But thats me.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Most people do bust when they hit the money, because after being ITM, you are going for the win. Unless you play the same way you were when trying to get ITM, which wins you a few more coin moving up the prize ladder. Here, usually the blinds are so huge, you only last 1 to three rounds, compared to first starting the game you can last 8 to ten rounds around the table when blinds are not so big.

T

Tatomircg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks you

at freerolls,sometimes players don t care because is free,on the other hand if they play their own money,they will not go all in like they do in freerolls never,i think best way is be patient and play normally

P

pierreb292

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tips i'll work on it

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best Strategy for Freerolls is to to tighten up the maximum during the early levels and wait for some hands to double up. Once you have doubled up 2 or 3 times you open a bit your range and you start playing some suited connectors and defending more from the Big Blind.
When you are near the bubble back to the A-Game play solid cards and only in position with less defense from the big blind and when you are already ITM you should gear totally your way of play hence you need to play only the best hands Big pairs and Suited premium cards till you reach 2-3 tables where you start the Push Fold strategy.I hope this will help.

P

pierreb292

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks top top ! time to double up so !

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what everyone is saying. Tight early FOR SURE, then continual aggression during the ladder stages of the tournament. You'll take some down eventually. Good luck!

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are notoriously hard to run deep in due to the fact that there are so many players and a lot of players who go all in every second hand no matter what they have. Try to play tight early until most of these players have busted then start to play more aggressive. By then you will probably only have one or two callers instead of the whole table.

Perceval

Perceval

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Me, i played verry hard , with very risk at the begening. Sometimes i made a lot of chips ( or not).
After i played my poker.

But it s was long time ago. Now I play sit and go : 1 table or cash game.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed I would focus at your normal play, approach a freeroll the same as you would any other tournament. But if you're unsure about how to play in the later stages on a short stack. Try studying a couple of push-fold charts. That really worked in improving my game. Pretty sure you can find some good ones through google.

Hope this helps a bit ^^

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always play hard throughout the game. If, of course, I have a small or medium stack. At the last table, in any case, you need to carefully choose a card. Here you do not need to hurry and think, maybe luck. You played a lot of time not just to give chips.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For Freerolls only I want to double or triple up no matter what in the 1st 15 hands. After that I play my game very tight more like ABC poker but with Aggression .

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must mix the two together.You cannot start aggressively because you don't have reputation on the table,your reputation is the hands that you win and chips that you have.If you start aggressively every fish will follow you with all the cards possible and you will often loose because if 6 or 8 players goes all-in who knows what flop,turn and river can deliver.So first you triple and then you must start aggressively if you want to win.If you want just to enter the prizes then you're good.

tamara skenderovic

tamara skenderovic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At first, I'm looking to double myself. If I succeed, then I have the opportunity, from the very beginning, to play as I want. I can not throw it out right away and I can always pay to someone as much as I want. I know that even if I lose my hand I stay in the game because I have more chips than him. I can try and cheat in order to scare other players, whatever happens to my senses at that moment.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many times the same thing happens to me. Because I try to play conscientiously and in a regular way these tournaments but we meet many fish. The idea is that as we get closer to ITM we must play close and strong hands to be able to steal the blinds and that those short chip players do not risk playing these hands and thus be able to get into money. Regards!

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It also depends on your stack size when you get ITM, and the stack size of the players around you. If I'm deep stacked ITM and there are a lot of short stacks, I'm generally only raising if I'll call a 3-bet allin too.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are fun! Early on, it's like the wild wild west. I like to try to double up early, or bust. Don't want to hand around with a small stack.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys. Lots of good advise here. I have been trying these ideas lately and it has been working for me. I have been finishing a lot higher in tournaments now than I used to earlier in this year.

interbul1908

interbul1908

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
At the freeroll the more players are hope for luck at the start of tournament and often lose.