How to get to a basic, solid winning game at micro's

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right now I can see merits in either stratagy.

That is the beauty of poker. There is never a correct answer for this.
It depends basically. On villain, his range, history if there is any and the board texture.

what size do you make your cbets? and do you change it up at all?

That is actually a different topic and not an easy one. Standard I make it 3/4 pot around that. It depends if I'm giving it in manually or using a potbet script.
But it also depends on villain and board. If there are draws and u want to protect ur hand u probably should bet bigger, close to pot.
Also for value it's better to bet bigger for obvious reasons. And at the micros, especially 10nl and lower most people are basically retards. And they will usually call a bigger bet as often as they would a smaller one. Just because they think: 'I'm gonna call his bet' and don't look so much at size and what it means.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one of my biggest problems.. if they raised I would happily fold, but for some reason if my c-bet is called and not raised I either think they must be very weak or that they may be trying to out play me on the turn. If they call the turn than im happy to check/fold ther river.

I do see a lot of players call the c-bet and then fold the turn so its not as though I lose every time this happens.. I just cant figure out if my defult play should be to check the turn or to bet it. Right now I can see merits in either stratagy.

If you have any advice on this it would be apreciated.

Basically you should need a specific reason to barrel after your cbet gets called. So you're looking to only bet again if a scare card hits or you're against a player who floats a lot of flops but gives up on the turn. So if you cbet a Q high dry flop and get called, betting the turn if an Ace hits the board should be pretty automatic but betting any under card is basically just throwing $$ away against most micro opponents.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what size do you make your cbets? and do you change it up at all?

i was wondering more about the cbet bluffs. but you pretty much summed it up for me thanks. i've not started playing micros yet and will be starting at 2nl. this all seems pretty solid advice thanks for making this threat. the 2 pair or better thing also answered a question i had on vbetting. i'm waiting till i get $40 to start the 2nl and am getting close i hope within a week or two to be playing 2nl.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically you should need a specific reason to barrel after your cbet gets called. So you're looking to only bet again if a scare card hits or you're against a player who floats a lot of flops but gives up on the turn. So if you cbet a Q high dry flop and get called, betting the turn if an Ace hits the board should be pretty automatic but betting any under card is basically just throwing $$ away against most micro opponents.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense

M

Michelle5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've stopped 2barrelling at 10nl and under. I just looked at my turn cbet success rate and it is super low. As i'm playing 12tables, as a default i just give it up on the turn. Even with scare cards appearing.

I've actually changed my game alot in recent weeks. I'm no longer trying to semi bluff, take guys off hands on dry flops. Mostly playing a nitty, value town game at these levels.

ItsMe

ItsMe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good thread. Just wondering though what you are pitching the cbet at (% of pot) if you are OR? And also how you adjust with flop texture and number of opponents (type of opponent) seeing the flop?

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually 3/4 of pot. If I have a good hand that I want to protect against draws I'll make it closer to pot or if I'm up against a known calling station I'll try to value town him as much as possible.

Against more than one villain it's trickier. Basically the size doesn't change still bet 3/4 standard or more to protect but you have to take in account what kind of villains ur up against more. If they are both tag/nitty regs and I wiff with something like AQ on a K high flop I'll probably still cbet.

People just give u a big amount of respect if they have any clue and when they don't or play back it should be easy to slowdown and/or give up.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You really don't have to size your cbets that big at micro stakes. You can actually generally get by with cbetting smaller 1/2 to 2/3 when you miss or when you hit on dry boards. When you hit and the board is draw heavy increase the size of your cbet to 3/4 or pot. At 50nl and below (where I have experience) basically no one is paying attention to bet sizing so just maximize your value by varying your cbet sizing, because, despite being exploitable, it rarely get noticed.

There is a whole class of players that I almost always cbet small against. That is the tight reg that limp/calls from EP. They almost always just give up if they don't hit their set regardless of bet size so why risk more than you absolutely must?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You really don't have to size your cbets that big at micro stakes. You can actually generally get by with cbetting smaller 1/2 to 2/3 when you miss or when you hit on dry boards. When you hit and the board is draw heavy increase the size of your cbet to 3/4 or pot. At 50nl and below (where I have experience) basically no one is paying attention to bet sizing so just maximize your value by varing your cbet sizing, becasue, despite being exploitable, it rarely get noticed.

it's not exploitable if you adapt your bet sizing to the flop instead of adapting it to your pocket cards.

S

SONIC589

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is solid micro limit advice!! There is no need to get fancy in the micros! Following this should have you turning a fairly consistant profit over the long run! Obviously there are minor tweaks that can be made to suit you and the table but overall its a solid strategy!

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone actually been following these guidelines to the letter or just sort of incorporating them ?

Has they changed your game at all ?

F

fergy05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have tried to incorporate it, but have not been overly successful with it. I have not seen a significant improvement in my game with the guidelines, but am also finding it is only a small percentage of hands that actually go this way (either I am not the original raiser when I have a hand, or the play takes it down a different path - this is the most common as I am seeing 4 or 5 people in most pots in the 0.01/0.02 level that I play and therefore cannot really do this). I have a fairly small sample set that I have tried it on though, so I wouldn't say it has helped nor has it hindered me given the few opportunities I have had to try it.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The higher you'll go, the less people there will be in pots.
But even with 4 people you can try some cbets on some boards that should obviously hit ur range.

But anyway, the point is: focus on value betting and getting to showdown cheaply if u have a marginal hand.

Caseace48

Caseace48

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone actually been following these guidelines to the letter or just sort of incorporating them ?

Has they changed your game at all ?

Been following them pretty solid, mixing in a few different plays adding some extra aggression where I see fit, but like i've posted before this was just what I needed to get me out of my rut thanks!:D

Top 10 Games