Hey guys, do you usually read books about poker?

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, do you usually read books about poker? Any good ones to recommend? I'm reading the "green book of poker" and I'm really enjoying it, it's making me perceive things in a different way in terms of how to play.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hey guys, do you usually read books about poker? Any good ones to recommend? I'm reading the "green book of poker" and I'm really enjoying it, it's making me perceive things in a different way in terms of how to play.

I was recommended Jared Tendler's book, The Mental Game of Poker. So far I have not found free time to read it, but I plan to read it soon.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I also recommend The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler- I did it to a lot of friends and also here to a few community members and I received only positive feedback from the people reading the books(I've read the first 2 books and I think the 3rd one is out too)... IMO you can learn poker from different videos/ courses(like the one here on CardsChat), or even watching streams on Twich/YouTube(lots of good poker players there), but the mental game is so important and if you can fix this from the start it will help you in how to deal with your emotions in many situations and for sure your overall performance at the tables will be better...

Jonathan Little also is a great poker author and pretty much all his books are worth trying out(great for beginners too as he has books on playing low stakes for both cash games and mtts) and probably he's the best to follow on YouTube too(lots of free content with great advices there, just search for his name and you'll easily find his channel on YouTube...).

PS. I would advise you to avoid reading 'outdated' books as the poker game is always evolving and this books might still be a good read but unfortunately most of the information is useless at the tables and if you'll try those strategies nowadays you'll get crushed...

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't read books, just what I found on the internet is enough ... the more beautiful it is when you flip through the pages of a book.

M

mmmmma

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really, but it's always a good idea learn more to improve your skills.

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From poker books I read only about poker math, because now I think there is no point in reading books (many strategies are already outdated), and from the current ones nothing interesting.
So from books, it makes sense, to read and learn only poker math.
My opinion, it is better to watch and analyze tournaments, where professionals play.

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I don't read poker books. However, if someone is reading, he must remember not to fall into a certain trap. The point is not to learn poker strategy from old books because poker strategy has evolved strongly over the years.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read some parts of one book. That's it.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly no, but whenever I saw someone asking for advice about it, they mentioned the book; Doyle Brunson's Super System

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I've never read it so maybe that's a bad thing.:eek:

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was recommended Jared Tendler's book, The Mental Game of Poker. So far I have not found free time to read it, but I plan to read it soon.

I started reading it, when I'm done I'll post about the experience

D

Decades

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't read a book about poker yet, but i will be interested in. Has anybody a recommendation?

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also recommend The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler- I did it to a lot of friends and also here to a few community members and I received only positive feedback from the people reading the books(I've read the first 2 books and I think the 3rd one is out too)... IMO you can learn poker from different videos/ courses(like the one here on CardsChat), or even watching streams on Twich/YouTube(lots of good poker players there), but the mental game is so important and if you can fix this from the start it will help you in how to deal with your emotions in many situations and for sure your overall performance at the tables will be better...

Jonathan Little also is a great poker author and pretty much all his books are worth trying out(great for beginners too as he has books on playing low stakes for both cash games and mtts) and probably he's the best to follow on YouTube too(lots of free content with great advices there, just search for his name and you'll easily find his channel on YouTube...).

PS. I would advise you to avoid reading 'outdated' books as the poker game is always evolving and this books might still be a good read but unfortunately most of the information is useless at the tables and if you'll try those strategies nowadays you'll get crushed...

thanks for the advice, but I think it's good to see the outdated ones to know what shouldn't be done anymore

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really, but it's always a good idea learn more to improve your skills.

I agree with that, the more knowledge the better, as long as you can use it in practice and that it doesn't interfere with the game anymore

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From poker books I read only about poker math, because now I think there is no point in reading books (many strategies are already outdated), and from the current ones nothing interesting.
So from books, it makes sense, to read and learn only poker math.
My opinion, it is better to watch and analyze tournaments, where professionals play.

interesting, I liked the tip, I will research about it

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
No, I don't read poker books. I think this kind of training is outdated. Now it is much more convenient to watch training videos.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For some mental, or personal evolution i agree. But on this days, poker evolution is much fast.

Today, u learn much better watching videos and discuss hands on internet.

Nizar

Nizar

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hardly read poker books but I always watch tournaments and cash on YouTube.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. I read books to cover to cover with any book which interests me and naturally some of those books happen to be poker.

I will say that there are many other ways to work on your game too though (YouTube videos, online courses, solvers and so on). I do read poker books, but I also wouldn't consider that a primary focus for my poker learning either though.

I used to read a lot more poker books when I was first starting out, but now I probably watch poker YouTube videos more often.

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think most of books now not actuality. much better watch streams or courses look like BenCB and etc. Poker books wast ur time

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Reading the comments, can anyone tell me which poker book is the best to really learn a lot from?
Which contains not only general descriptions, but also useful tips and lessons?
Thank you in advance.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a fresh mind I read books about poker, when I'm tired I watch videos

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys
No Generally I don't read any book about Poker sometimes I watch a lot of videos and I see a lot of hands from another professional player🙃

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Until about four years ago, I was trying to read every book that came out.
Right now, I don't read it, because it feels pointless.