The Guide to Pre-Flop (Day 6 Course Discussion)

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising 2x preflop usually goes multiway pot. My question is what is really the effective sizing against loose agressive players?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising 2x preflop usually goes multiway pot. My question is what is really the effective sizing against loose agressive players?

Good question. I recommend basing raise-size mostly on effective stack instead of opponent type.

For example, if an opponent is very aggressive, he may shove with a wide range with a 20bb stack. Min-raising has you lose the least when you're raise-folding against this type of player.

Also keep in mind that it's not a disaster if you get called. For example, if you min-raise on the button and a loose player calls from the big blind, then you're heads-up in position with overlay from the small blind and antes. Plus you have the betting lead.

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question. I recommend basing raise-size mostly on effective stack instead of opponent type.

For example, if an opponent is very aggressive, he may shove with a wide range with a 20bb stack. Min-raising has you lose the least when you're raise-folding against this type of player.

Also keep in mind that it's not a disaster if you get called. For example, if you min-raise on the button and a loose player calls from the big blind, then you're heads-up in position with overlay from the small blind and antes. Plus you have the betting lead.

This is very useful! Before I had no idea about raising I just do it no matter their stack sizes are... But is it the same with the cash games?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is very useful! Before I had no idea about raising I just do it no matter their stack sizes are... But is it the same with the cash games?

At the risk of answering on Collin’s behalf, yes it is the same :) The difference is that most of the time, cash will be played with deeper effective stacks than tournaments tend to be once the money approaches (and beyond).

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the risk of answering on Collin’s behalf, yes it is the same :) The difference is that most of the time, cash will be played with deeper effective stacks than tournaments tend to be once the money approaches (and beyond).

I hope Collin agrees with you lol:D. I love watching you guys on youtube hope you upload more contents there.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope Collin agrees with you lol:D. I love watching you guys on youtube hope you upload more contents there.

Haha he usually does, so long as I’m cooking dinner! :D

So glad to hear you enjoy our YouTube content, thanks for that!

B

birdman666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen more than 3 different pre-flop ranges in official guides of Cardchat. Of all them, Collins range seems to be the loosest one (the one from the workbook).
Any comments about that? Which range do you prefer?

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Your advice is very important to me. preflop play changes depending on the stage of the tournament towards the end of the tournament, more and more players go all-in. How can I avoid losing chips if I feel that the card is not entering and the blinds are getting bigger? this is the situation at the final table today. blinds 75000 150000. Player A from position UPG goes all-in-pair of nines, from position MO goes all-in-pair of tens and I from the button go all-in-pair of threes. flop - 2 8 3. turn-9, river king. and there are many such examples. does it mean that I played correctly? the pot was 10,000,000 in chips, the first place at that time had 6,000,000 in chips, I had 3,000,000. the question is, when there are few chips left and the blinds are very high, do we all-in on a very wide range including 2 2+? suited connectors and any two pictures?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen more than 3 different pre-flop ranges in official guides of Cardchat. Of all them, Collins range seems to be the loosest one (the one from the workbook).
Any comments about that? Which range do you prefer?

The ranges are just good guidelines to use. It's good to modify them to fit your style, the table, and game dynamic.

With that said, anyone is welcome to answer your question with the "Official CardsChat range" that they like best :)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your advice is very important to me. preflop play changes depending on the stage of the tournament towards the end of the tournament, more and more players go all-in. How can I avoid losing chips if I feel that the card is not entering and the blinds are getting bigger? this is the situation at the final table today. blinds 75000 150000. Player A from position UPG goes all-in-pair of nines, from position MO goes all-in-pair of tens and I from the button go all-in-pair of threes. flop - 2 8 3. turn-9, river king. and there are many such examples. does it mean that I played correctly? the pot was 10,000,000 in chips, the first place at that time had 6,000,000 in chips, I had 3,000,000. the question is, when there are few chips left and the blinds are very high, do we all-in on a very wide range including 2 2+? suited connectors and any two pictures?

Let me answer these two questions Pichman!

1. No, it doesn't mean that you played correctly when you hit the 3. This is called "results-oriented thinking" and you want to decide if a pre-flop play was profitable independent of what community cards ended up coming.

2. Yes, you can usually shove first in with the magic range of 22+ A2s+ JTs+ and related hands when stacks are short. Hands like JTo are also going to be good to shove or at least close most of the time with 10bb or less.

Hope that helps!

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

1. No, it doesn't mean that you played correctly when you hit the 3. This is called "results-oriented thinking" and you want to decide if a pre-flop play was profitable independent of what community cards ended up coming.

2. Yes, you can usually shove first in with the magic range of 22+ A2s+ JTs+ and related hands when stacks are short. Hands like JTo are also going to be good to shove or at least close most of the time with 10bb or less.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the detailed answer. Of course, sometimes you already rub your hands in anticipation of the first place and having received two threes a great desire to push, especially when it is the final table.

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is known that the strongest pocket pair is 2 aces. But how do you play 6max preflop if it's the final table and you only have 10 big blinds, widen your all-in range?
With the magic range of 22+ A2s+ JTs+?
Please tell me about the psychology of online poker. How to make the opponent fold his hand especially in the final? For him to throw off his two queens or jacks. Is psychological pressure possible in online poker?

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hope that helps!

Is a pause important when playing online poker?
Could this be used as a bluff trick for example?
The opinion of a professional is interesting. Maybe all-in preflop after a long pause with 2 5 for everyone to fold?)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is known that the strongest pocket pair is 2 aces. But how do you play 6max preflop if it's the final table and you only have 10 big blinds, widen your all-in range?
With the magic range of 22+ A2s+ JTs+?
Please tell me about the psychology of online poker. How to make the opponent fold his hand especially in the final? For him to throw off his two queens or jacks. Is psychological pressure possible in online poker?

You should generally keep the same range. The reason is because the ranges are already based on position. So for example, if you're the cutoff with 10bb, you should shove a similar range from this position if it's 9-handed or 6-max.

Is a pause important when playing online poker?
Could this be used as a bluff trick for example?
The opinion of a professional is interesting. Maybe all-in preflop after a long pause with 2 5 for everyone to fold?)

It's possible that type of trick will work, but be careful if you're systematically making the same type of pauses since it's possible that good players will catch on.

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should generally keep the same range. The reason is because the ranges are already based on position. So for example, if you're the cutoff with 10bb, you should shove a similar range from this position if it's 9-handed or 6-max.

It's possible that type of trick will work, but be careful if you're systematically making the same type of pauses since it's possible that good players will catch on.

Thanks, what other tricks can there be in poker besides pause during the game? Its very interesting.I think very few people ask this question. But for me, the psychological aspect is very important in poker, especially during preflop pushing.:)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, what other tricks can there be in poker besides pause during the game? Its very interesting.I think very few people ask this question. But for me, the psychological aspect is very important in poker, especially during preflop pushing.:)

Tricks can be good, like trying to use reverse tells live on occasion, but for the most part you want to rely on solid fundamentals and perceptive play instead of tricks.

With that said, if you find some that are working and opponents aren't catching on, then go for it!

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"There are many factors affecting the pre-flop decision-making process including positions, opponent types, effective stack, raise sizings, and tournament state. We’ve done our best to give you good general guidelines. If you’re unsure whether to play a certain hand, then just fold for now and wait for a good spot. (Okay this bullet point has officially become an essay!) "

Briefly and clearly!)
In fact, thank you for such interesting information. Effective stack is a new and interesting concept for me. I answered correctly to the answer of the quiz that the MP player has an effective stack, since we are his cover, if he was a cover for us, then the effective stack would be just the size of our stack.
I think an effective stack is important for making a decision not only preflop but also on the flop, turn and river. Am I right?

Lesson 6 completed (book + video and answered all the quiz questions correctly, I'm happy)

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tricks can be good, like trying to use reverse tells live on occasion, but for the most part you want to rely on solid fundamentals and perceptive play instead of tricks.

With that said, if you find some that are working and opponents aren't catching on, then go for it!

I think online poker tricks don't work as well as offline poker. And the most important thing is to play poker using the fundamentals, sometimes resorting to bluffing. I often hear ABC poker strategy, what is it? Is this a game based on the fundamental principles of poker or is it something else and a narrow direction in poker?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think online poker tricks don't work as well as offline poker. And the most important thing is to play poker using the fundamentals, sometimes resorting to bluffing. I often hear ABC poker strategy, what is it? Is this a game based on the fundamental principles of poker or is it something else and a narrow direction in poker?

To answer the question in your previous post, yes effective stack is very important both pre-flop and post-flop.

In terms of ABC strategy, it just means solid poker and not doing anything fancy. For example, this would mean playing a tight-aggressive strategy for the most part, value betting strong hands, c-betting dry flops when you've missed, etc.

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To answer the question in your previous post, yes effective stack is very important both pre-flop and post-flop.

In terms of ABC strategy, it just means solid poker and not doing anything fancy. For example, this would mean playing a tight-aggressive strategy for the most part, value betting strong hands, c-betting dry flops when you've missed, etc.

Thank you for answers.
icon7.gif
I feel like I've become better and more confident thanks to your course. And in addition I want to say thank you for your professional answers and your competence.

I got to this forum by accident and now I do not regret it a bit. Even if my knowledge of English is not perfect, I am gaining most understanding of poker exactly from your course, although I studied books in my native Russian.
Briefly, clearly, understandably, and also such great support from you and Katie!!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Last question about preflop: If I got a pocket pair preflop, can I hide the strength of my hand so that my opponents think I have nothing and just call? Or is slow play a bad trick? Better raise 3bet+1 bet for each call on preflop for example with pair of Jacks?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for answers.
icon7.gif
I feel like I've become better and more confident thanks to your course. And in addition I want to say thank you for your professional answers and your competence.

I got to this forum by accident and now I do not regret it a bit. Even if my knowledge of English is not perfect, I am gaining most understanding of poker exactly from your course, although I studied books in my native Russian.
Briefly, clearly, understandably, and also such great support from you and Katie!!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Last question about preflop: If I got a pocket pair preflop, can I hide the strength of my hand so that my opponents think I have nothing and just call? Or is slow play a bad trick? Better raise 3bet+1 bet for each call on preflop for example with pair of Jacks?

Glad to hear that Pichman!

Usually you want to play strong hands aggressively pre-flop. There are some times it makes sense to slowplay; for example UTG raises, you're UTG+1 with AA, and there are a few wild short-stacks left to act. But normally you'll do best raising/reraising with premium hands pre-flop.

AjR3ckless

AjR3ckless

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea preflop is one of the most important parts of betting this determines if you're even going to play the hand you have but it all depends on what's in your hand and how you feel about that hand depending on the range you looking at and your position on the table

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the suggested range of opening pre-flop.

For me, note 6 in the book was most value advice you gave me. Every helpful, how much to open with a certain BB.

- Do you advice to re-raise preflop with good hands (AJs+, AA,KK,QQ,JJ) for players who are just started playing? Or is this more an advanced tip?
- Second question, in the book you are talking about effective stack. When I have 50BB in the small blind and big blind has 5BB, do you advice to shove 50BB when you have good hands, instead of 3 betting?