The Guide to Pre-Flop (Day 6 Course Discussion)

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And we're back - unfortunately i don't have the time every day to do 1 course but here we are again. And i am proud of myself that i come back to learn even though my recent scores showed me my progress!
But i know that there is a lot to improve on.

Now back to the Video - i am glad that you talked about overlimping ranges in certain spotst (with pocket pairs small suited connectors). When i first started playing i was isolating them as well - but recently i changed it up to overlimping.

Also you talked about how you adjust your ranges against an early position raise because you give them a tighter range - what would be the case normally.
But now i'd like to take the time to ask my specific question.
How would you adjust your range if you know that a specific player in the hand is very loose raising too wide UTG and you are sitting in let's say Low-Jack (totally not chosen because you like the term) would you widen the low-jack 3-betting range, hoping that the players behind expect a stronger hand and will overfold in that spot so you can isolate the loose player UTG and punish him for the loose open - or would you play the same tight ranges?

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 6: Preflop

Stuff to review are the factors affecting Preflop Ranges are position and opponent types,stack sizes, tourn stage and ante size. You have to play hands differently by the action before you. Effective stack is the most you can lose in a given hand depends on if someone has you covered or not.

Really liked Katie's point of folks getting extra practice figuring out what hands can be played in certain positions and to figure out what they should do like a rehearsal if someone raised before or after you. Some folks can get a preflop chart from a book and paper clip that page as a bookmark or just have it up on the screen as you play glancing to see what hands are playable from every position to work on that part of your game. Really liked that pointer. So its know the strength of the starting hand, know at what position at the table you can play it as not all hands are playable from certain seats and know what to do beforehand when a common situation arises.

The lessen sheds some light on how to play those suited cards and gives a reason why some folks have trouble playing them. Overall, really enjoyed the vid and felt like I got something out of it.

The ebook tells you what hands to play in which positions so its really worth looking at the ebook then I'm thinking folks can adjust it as they develop. Best advice of the Day 6 comes from the ebook: Good folds pre-flop save you a lot of money after the flop," This is really a good lesson. I learned this playing omaha and hitting bottom set after bottom set and getting wrecked playing small pairs time after time. So many hands in every form of poker are decided on the preflop.

Really great lesson today. Thanks for putting it out.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 6...24 to go

Nice presentation of the lesson 6, watching this lesson made me realize that sometimes in tournaments i tend to play to little and wait only for premium or what i consider to be a strong hand. I rarely play suited low cards like 89s 76s 910s when i am in LO or late positions, and i mainly play with raise pre-flop, and sometimes a call is also an option too.

Really enjoy this course. GG. :)

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing connectors isn't easy, and requires some post flop skill, and a lot of self control haha. I've read also that 3betting or sometimes even raising into limpers might be usefull to get an amount of 2.5BB to 3.5BB +number of limpers: 5 limpers -> 7.5bb raise for a medium stack, and if there are 3 limpers + one raise 3bb -> 3bet for 12bb being deep stack.
For the fact, the stack to take on account would be technically the effective stack, if you want to play it matematically, (3bb raise when the eff stack is 60bb , while you are 160bb) but smetimes I do like take only on account my stack for the preflop to put on more pressure, I think it's wrong, but I'm not sure. if there is someone who knows ^^'

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can see how the decision you make before even entering a hand is so important. I'm going to tax my brain a little and try to memorize some of the starting hands from the lesson. Seems a worthwhile exercise.

M

muleyy999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u dont check your ego

if u dont check your ego you are bound to tilt!

QUOTE=BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch;6273828]Day 6: Preflop

Stuff to review are the factors affecting Preflop Ranges are position and opponent types,stack sizes, tourn stage and ante size. You have to play hands differently by the action before you. Effective stack is the most you can lose in a given hand depends on if someone has you covered or not.

Really liked Katie's point of folks getting extra practice figuring out what hands can be played in certain positions and to figure out what they should do like a rehearsal if someone raised before or after you. Some folks can get a preflop chart from a book and paper clip that page as a bookmark or just have it up on the screen as you play glancing to see what hands are playable from every position to work on that part of your game. Really liked that pointer. So its know the strength of the starting hand, know at what position at the table you can play it as not all hands are playable from certain seats and know what to do beforehand when a common situation arises.

The lessen sheds some light on how to play those suited cards and gives a reason why some folks have trouble playing them. Overall, really enjoyed the vid and felt like I got something out of it.

The ebook tells you what hands to play in which positions so its really worth looking at the ebook then I'm thinking folks can adjust it as they develop. Best advice of the Day 6 comes from the ebook: Good folds pre-flop save you a lot of money after the flop," This is really a good lesson. I learned this playing omaha and hitting bottom set after bottom set and getting wrecked playing small pairs time after time. So many hands in every form of poker are decided on the preflop.

Really great lesson today. Thanks for putting it out.[/QUOTE]

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You will play every hand pre-flop and in this Guide to Pre-Flop on Day 6 you will learn how important position is in determining your action.

If you have not yet read Day 6 and watched the video for Day 6 - take a few minutes now to do that and then come back here to discuss it:

The Guide to Pre-Flop

Katie reviews all of the factors you need to consider when playing pre-flop and when you should take more risks. She even explains how to read ranges. I found this chapter to be a great refresher and reminder to myself about making good decisions pre-flop. I won my league game after reviewing Day 6. :)

Remembering to calculate the effective stack was a concept I learned from Katie 10 years ago when I first started playing live poker.

Feel free to ask Katie and Collin any questions you have about pre-flop play - and engage in discussion with other players right here in this thread.
034adae3068401ed7774e565da0dab4b.png

9bae48e8b0b6064ee1698bd2e01bd23b.png
It's amazing how many players have no idea about ranges. They play completely recreationally. Today we have many online tools to teach at least the basics. Good for us!

A2020

A2020

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe it was mentioned already but I believe the answer to the quiz in this chapter is 79BB and not 78BB as one BB is already on the table.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I finished the 6th class, reviewed some concepts, but the important thing that I learned in a clear and objective way, verifying that I didn't know as much as I thought, I'll even go back some topics for a better understanding and apply it in freeroll games with entry or play money .

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Extremely important class, really having a range guide is essential if you want to be a profitable player, thank you very much Katie, I missed you already, only Collin was showing up in the classes hahaha.

I would like to point out that I did not hear about three of a kind in the video, because I was talking about ranges, call or not, I believe it is a very important concept, logically the stacks and the value of the bet must be taken into account, but calling to hit the three of a kind can be quite profitable.

06/30.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Extremely important class, really having a range guide is essential if you want to be a profitable player, thank you very much Katie, I missed you already, only Collin was showing up in the classes hahaha.

I would like to point out that I did not hear about three of a kind in the video, because I was talking about ranges, call or not, I believe it is a very important concept, logically the stacks and the value of the bet must be taken into account, but calling to hit the three of a kind can be quite profitable.

06/30.
Correcting, I hadn't seen it in this video, it's exactly in the next classes at the right time, impleted odds in the case.

Great study everyone.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoyed this session. I tend to have a tighter range than what is suggested. I tend to fold all small pairs 66 and lower, and not to play stuff like K6s just because it is suited. If I am gonna play suited cards for a possible flush draw, I want the Ace in my hand.
What are the downsides to playing tighter, should I be looking for ways to loosen up a bit?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoyed this session. I tend to have a tighter range than what is suggested. I tend to fold all small pairs 66 and lower, and not to play stuff like K6s just because it is suited. If I am gonna play suited cards for a possible flush draw, I want the Ace in my hand.
What are the downsides to playing tighter, should I be looking for ways to loosen up a bit?

You should probably loosen up some in middle and late position. Take it slow though - don't try to make a drastic change all at once. Add hands to your ranges a few at a time and take shots at it. It will come natural to you in time.

You are probably missing out on some good opportunities with small pairs in late position.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is a big value listen to the advisers from CC game strategies, tutorials and courses. The fundamentals of all poker game levels undoubtably refine the game from whom constantly review them.

jonasz warzecha

jonasz warzecha

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Effective stack
MP 23k
22 limp but fold when raised by later positions
KQs raise to 3 BB

Don’t know why but I would limp A6o and later positions would limp as well.
play only when catch trips of 6’s or two pairs and draw to full house only because I’m chip leader on this table

Correct me if I’m wrong to save me some chips

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Hello! I write this post for those who don't watch the tutorial, but read the forum comments. I will only describe the most important ones, which are the essence of the content of the current chapter!

Chapter 6
(The Guide To Pre-Flop)

In this chapter, we are talking about the fact that even before the flop is dealt, we have to make our first (one of the most important) decision about which hand we should enter the flop, considering quite a few factors! Eg: Our position, our amount of chips, and of course the strength of the cards in our hand! In short, a few factors:

- Let's try to avoid playing out of position

- If possible, get in with a strong hand before the flop, (personally TT-AA) or with strong connecting cards (personally AK, AQ, AJ, KQ)

Nandabio81

Nandabio81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Of the four betting rounds, the pre-flop is the most important, because pre-flop adhesives save a lot of money after the flop. A bad pre-flop decision can disonerate you post-flop by putting you deeper and deeper into a hole. That's why our first priority is a
solid strategy for playing well pre-flop.

ENRIQUE23977

ENRIQUE23977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The effective Stack is the second lp of 78 big blinds, since our stack is the largest and we cover the MP Stack that would be the next largest. Which means that the maximum we would win or lose if we entered the hand would be approximately 23,000 chips.

1) With two limpers in early and middle position a pair of 2s is good, because it can become a monster if we flop set and if a limper has an ace and flops top pair it will be hard for villain fold and we could win a big stack.

2) Cards like 8-3s are very weak speculative cards, I don't like to come in with those cards, because you can rarely win with a flush and also if you have a superior color from a villain, we can lose a lot of our stack, because that there may be limpers with A2s+ in UTG or J9s. In addition, it does not fulfill the functions of connecting stairs because it is very separate. 87s would be very different, they can have several draws (Straight, Flush...)

3) With KQs of hearts it is Correct to Raise with two players limping. A correct raise can be 4.5 or 5bb.

Last edited:
Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, Day 6 course finished.
Answer to the quiz .
1. 78 BB.
2. We should call with 22, and evaluate if the next player raise.
3. With KQs raise 3BB, because in the table we see 2 limpets, and evaluate how the next player act.
Good topic thanks.

Last edited:
MikeDeez

MikeDeez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Pre-flop betting was one of my strong points, now it’s even stronger that I can implement my knowledge of position and range to the various aspects of the game. Thanks again for this in-depth tutorial

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 6 completed. I believe that the pre-flop is really crucial in poker, as the decisions you make in this phase can have a significant impact on the outcome of the hand. Interesting class.