Guide: How to make a video (with lots of pictures).

Status
Not open for further replies.
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being new here, and a professional computer geek and all, I thought I'd point out that Camtasia Studio is a commercial product. The above link takes you to the 30-day free trial, after which it costs like $300.

Assuming most of you wouldn't want to drop $300, nor resort to piracy, a totally free alternative for Windows is CamStudio, which will do pretty much the same thing, just with fewer features that most people don't need for making simple screencasts. It outputs to AVI or SWF (Flash), if you prefer a different format (like WMP or MPG) then there are numerous free transcoding utilities to do that job too.

The CamStudio 2.0 release can be found on the main website here.

However I'd recommend the 2.5 beta release which can be found here (you want the ".bin.zip" version, not the ".src.zip" version unless you intend to compile the source code yourself). You may also need the mfc71 DLL files if you don't already have them on your system.

The CamStudio blog has more info on the product, and they also have a forum available for support.

If you're a fellow geek like myself that also uses linux, there is the venerable xvidcap to create MPEG screencams that can then be transcoded to many other formats.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oops, I see edits are disabled after a timeout. I was coming back to note that CamStudio was already mentioned in the Super Duper Compression thread, so I guess I'm not enlightening anyone after all. Well, at least the info is in the sticky, which is where I looked first.

As I noted in the compression thread, if you want to convert your CamStudio (or any) video to another format and were unsure how to do so, you might check out Super, which is also free. It's the Swiss Army Knife of media conversion utilities.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Dmorris, helpful stuff :)

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how long does it usually take you to upload a video onto megaload??

S

sfinxull

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
l can't see any of this videos..what should l do?..is there any program that should be installed?

B

bj9855

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I am going to try this although I'm not real keen woth tech stuff. but it looks like you have all the basics covered wish me luck. Thanks so much, Brin

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how long does it usually take you to upload a video onto megaload??

probably around 1 min per 2.5Mb

Read the compression stuff by IceMonkey

Use mediafire.com rather megaupload

Status
Not open for further replies.