Grinding it out for 2 months...with a $3 BR!

P

peanutym

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man i dont see how you guys do so well just 1st deposits. maybe cuase i play Full tilt and the stakes are just a tad bigger that people play better or something or the fact i play limit. but i certainly havent seen $5 to $50 in 1 night. more like 10 to 0

DKnight10

DKnight10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, thanks for taking time to post and talk about your results, all this is real interesting right now considering im sort of going through the same phase, i started with $5 on my pokerstars account and am now up to ~$170 mostly from SnG's but am REALLY trying to get good at cash games. If i could give you all playing the SnG's one piece of advice, it is to read Moshmans book "Secret's of SnG's." This book is simply amazing to a SnG player and as a beginner i strongly suggest that you read it.

As for the hands you posted i think the 1st and 3rd were played a little poorly but the 2nd was just bad luck. On the first it seems that you're in early position(?). From here i would not be raising QJo with a full table. Also the texture of that flop was pretty bad. You said the guy had been raising with QQ, and any A, so the texture of that flop seems to hit his hand pretty strongly if he only floated your raise. Also if the guy is loose and aggressive like you said i wouldn't be double barreling him either. As for the third hand, you are still pretty deep stacked (20+ BB). The all in push wasn't necessary even if the guy did make a bad call and an unbelievable catch. A simple ~4 BB raise would have done fine especially in position against the limper.

One more thing, I know you have probably heard it a billion times and it's probably getting redundant but you need BR management. You shouldn't be in $5 tourneys until a minimum $100 BR. I know its extremely difficult im in the same shoes as you, you see people in the forums bragging about there $10k profits in a month and its hard to sit there and play for pennies. But know that all of them put in the work and if you put in the time at the lower levels you will be able to reap the benefits soon enough.

again, i am really enjoying reading your progress and dont take my advice as stone cold facts, i'm not by any means an expert player, but i hope i can help a little considering i was where you were not too long ago and am realising that to be a winner it takes some work and practice.

KoenigKing

KoenigKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have started kindof the same thing as you did.
i was down to $10 in my bankroll and said f it im only playin low low limits SNG.
but not to low ;)
i started playing the 3.50 SUPER TURBO SNG's and built my BR up to 80 bucks! and felt real good.
then there was last night and it proved that the disipline is the main factor in loosing at poker... i went back down to 10 dollars :(
BUT!!!!
this afternoon i entered a 3.50 MTT 90 players, Knockout tourny and finished 1st place :) for a 72+ dollar winnings :) it was fun,
Well back to the grind :)

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Round 2!!!

[Results of new run - above 2nd to last paragraph]

Thanks for the input and motivation.

Dknight: I realized the same thing. I've started the grind again since someone on here took me under their wing. Now I play a real TAG style game. I had major leaks in my game. One being that I would play the cards, and not the player. I'm seeing the light.

KoenigKing: Good stuff man, Gl with your BR. How would you rate the competition in the $3 MTTs? Also, how do you play your sngs??

Last run, I realize I would pretty much bluff with my hopes and dreams and go on what "felt" right like a moron with only a weak playing style to base the bluffs on. Huge hole, since everyone knows you can't be successful @ No-Limit without bluffing. I thought I was good. Now, I'm actually playing positions, using a solid thought out playing style, following up with continuation bets, and reraises and bluffing after I feel I've established myself, and gotten the table image I was aiming for. I can see when these Micro guys don't know what to do with me and take advantage.

My table selection was off big time as well. Sure the tables had High Average pots, but the flop percentage was way too low. Even though I was playing like a weak donk before, that still made those results worse.

Now to the current results. I started off with $16, got up to $20. I went all the way back down to $3. It's now @ $12.

Starting Bankroll: $16

Current BankRoll
: $12

[Playing .01/.02 NL]

I had some beats, sure, but I was mainly still getting used to playing correctly and thats where most of the losses came from. Luckily, since I started to catch on before I went bust, I can buy in at the right table with $1 (.01/.02NL), feel like I still have leverage (not play scared/playing the player right) and still come out on top. Thats not a good idea though, so I wouldn't recommend it, and I don't practice it much.

Not saying I'm the shit now, but I can tell you the table looks completely different to me when I take a seat. I still have a crapload to learn, need much more table time, and I've been reading more. I feel like a different player, but the road ahead will still be bumpy.

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Glad to hear you're using what i've been telling/teaching you.

DKnight10

DKnight10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know most players dont use them at micros but do you use a tracker like poker tracker or poker office?

D

DeNyd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i received a message from stars giving me 5 dollars complimentary if i could get one FPP in 10 days..of course i did that easily...that was yesterday and i might start a thread of my own ive never deposited and im at like 10 bucks right now.

T

thebiatch22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you cant play to tight otherwise when you do have a good hand you will allow someone to suck out on you had you of up your bet some you could of ran the guy off and would not have suffered your lose with aa to 44 you cant always be tight

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah, the mystery man.

Philty got me back on my feet and showed me whats up. If you listen and pay attention, you can learn plenty from him. Made me realize everything I mentioned above. :cool:

Dknight: I had poker tracker up toward the end of the last run, but wasn't using it effectively. That's changed and that little VP stat alone makes all the difference in the world. The HUD is something else...

Denyd: Why the hell can I never get one of those e-mails? Good luck, start the thread up so we can all check each others progress.

you cant play to tight otherwise when you do have a good hand you will allow someone to suck out on you had you of up your bet some you could of ran the guy off and would not have suffered your lose with aa to 44 you cant always be tight

Your right, and that's where the AG in TAG comes in. You need to play the style correctly to see gains from it.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Philty got me back on my feet and showed me whats up. If you listen and pay attention, you can learn plenty from him. Made me realize everything I mentioned above.
More lessons whenever I see you online. We've just barely scratched the surface. I can teach you how to basically crush the micro-limits.

Denyd: I'll gladly give you some basic pointers if you're interested.

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds good, looking forward to it. I've been playing here and there but not grinding it out been real busy lately. BR's still the same though. Besides, I decided to do some reading. I have copies of Super system 1/2 and Ace on the river. Should have those books read by Saturday. Probably speaking too soon, but Super system seems really basic so far.

I'll update when I'm back in it.

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds good, looking forward to it. I've been playing here and there but not grinding it out been real busy lately. BR's still the same though. Besides, I decided to do some reading. I have copies of Super system 1/2 and Ace on the river. Should have those books read by Saturday. Probably speaking too soon, but Super system seems really basic so far.

I'll update when I'm back in it.

Super System isn't too hot to be fair. I've read super system 2, it's all the " if we're in this situation" etc blah blah blah, and there's only a short chapter on NLHE which I was very disappointed about! I'm trying to find a book about cash games etc, i've read harrington on hold-em , that doesn't fair too well for cash games ;) Btw, Liveone, check my blog out :) Back to super system, it DOES have some lovely little tips though that if you read them they can teach you quite a bit!

Hope all is well