Grinding it out for 2 months...with a $3 BR!

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Scragbag: Hell yeah man, good stuff. You should definitely start a thread up. I'd love to see someone else progress on the same journey. Congrats on the $8.5

peanutym: Thanks for that bro.

Here's where I am now, don't feel much like a report...lil sick.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/mynuts2u/Bankroll62.jpg

I'm @ $61 if you don't feel like loading the page.

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how did you get so many FPPs with such a small bankroll ? and how long did it take you ? i have $25 and only like 50 FPPs.

I never used to have BRM ;) I used to play alot higher . Mainly .50/1 and 1/2 then just withdraw then reload etc. BAD TIMES! But i've taken on a complete new approach now. An i'm startin at the bottom. I decided i'm going to play 10k hands @ .01/.02 an if I'm upto $80 by then, i shall step upto .02/.04 and so on and so on, always making sure i have 20 Buy ins. Im playing proper tight though, so i;m not really playin post flop poker. So I can kinda compensate for not having 30 buy ins. FYI I've had the sickest run of cards tonight! I've been 2 tabling cash an my stars roll is now at a healthy $17.63

some_d00d

some_d00d

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bleh, I thought you had found a good way to earn FPPs lol.

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rofl! Iwish! If i find out i'll let you know ;)

B

behemoth051

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd love to start off like you guys have. I'm just afraid of buying any chips since I'm a broke college student. I keep trying freerolls, but do horribly in the early part of the tournaments when people always go all-in with 87 suited. I keep looking for places that will give free bonuses to start off. If I could, I would start like you guys did with <$5 and just have fun with it, but I can't deposit the full amount required.

Good luck on your grind.

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a start Behemoth. Why not just deposit $10 on Stars? Or are you not able to do that? But stick to the .01/.02 tables sitting down with $1 and just play UBBER tight! If you check the ring game section here and look for a post by 'Chuck Ts'. That'll leave you well on your way. Even if you just play $1 SnGs that'll help

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've finally learned my lesson...for good!

[This is a long one, mostly gibberish for me to reflect on later, scroll to the colored log in the middle to get the end result]

Well, as if going bust with my initial $50 deposit (where I got the $3 from) wasn't enough, I slipped up once again. Remember last update I had $61? Well I went on tilt and it got as bad as

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/mynuts2u/Bankroll29-1.jpg ($29)

I lost like...7-10SNG's in a row, and then it hit me. I know I always tell myself "don't go on tilt, just play like you've been playing, and you'll be fine", but that shit just isn't enough. You need to develop a rock solid resolve...a poker mindset that won't break if you want to play this game with success.

The problem is, when I have great success in games (when Im up @ the cashier), I start to play extra hands, and before I know it, I'm the low stack (and lost my profits). That...or I play the same amount of hands, but because I'm doing real well, its alot easier to click that call button or try to bluff when theres no point in risking it in the first place. All I base the bluff on is...well, I'm not sure, but it has something to do with me saying "one more time" or "**** it".

So, I smacked myself pretty good, and said "**** it, if I don't develop the mindset I need for this game now, Ima be screwed later...if later ever comes at this rate". I went ahead and believed in my abilities, stuck to what I said and entered 2 Sng's. One was $3.4 18 seat, the other was $3.4 27 seat. The rest is history.

Starting BR: $3.00 - 11/8/2008

Current BR: $75.98 - 11/9/2008

11/8/2008: +$17.18[+672%] [New BR - $20.18]

11/9/2008
: +$18.80[+95%] [New BR - $38.98]

11/10/2008: +$34.00[+95%] [New BR - $75.98]

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/mynuts2u/Bankroll75.jpg

-Now playing $3.40 18-27 seat MTT SNGs-

I placed first in the 18 seat, and second in the 27. I could've placed first, but I said "**** it" because I was more than satisfied. When it was over, I realized that I broke the new resolve I swore I now had. How? 1st, by entering those SNG's. 2nd, by not sticking it out until the end and taking second.

The second might not seem like a big deal, but that falls under what I'll call the "**** it" mindset. I want to destroy every bit of that garbage in me weather or not it relates directly, or indirectly. And Yeah...it probably seems like I'm being overly dramatic with this whole mindset thing, but I'm not. Most all of my losses come from stupid decisions, and my wins come when I keep my kool. I didn't take any chances when I played those last 2 SNG's. Does that mean I didn't bluff at all? No All-ins? Not by a long shot.

Going All in with the right prem hands shows you aren't afraid, though you play tight. That comes in handy when your @ the final table and start to bluff. You need to bluff when you play SNG's when you get to the final table to steal blinds unless your blessed by the card gods that day. You need to watch it though, takes a bit to get the hang of it (I used to play remember). Every now and then, its a good idea to limp in, and bluff a LITTLE. Why? well, you get to test your competition, and play with their heads. Either you get called on your bluff, dont lose enough to hinder your chances of winning and learn how to capitalize on it. Or it works and you take the benifits and further capitalize on it from there. Be cautious though, mindset is very important here...its soooooo easy to get carried away.

All that about game play is my opinion, and at the end of the day, I realize my "SNG style" really isn't too tight at all. Its more inbetween Tight/agressive. Depending on the situation, it can lean a LITTLE toward the agressive side. I'll make a full style analysis when I've made some REAL progress. It's only forward from here.

Remember... mindset, mindset, mindset. Don't just say "I agree", "Yeah I know", "your right" and then go say "ahhh....one more time" @ the table. Thats exactly how you go bust. Apply it, and apply it now.

Hopefully I get to $100 tonight:D.

Edit: think I messed up the numbers a bit, but they're close enough.

Last edited:
T

teeko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it up.

A little advice dont sit with all ur money. HArd way to build a bankroll . ! hand and its all down the tube. Im sure we all know that feeling

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Behemoth, I agree with scrag 100%. What I'd do is start off playing the ring games as he suggested and when you get to about $15 (to be on the safe side), mess around with the $1 SNGs. Actually, thats exactly how I did it. Haven't looked back @ the ring games since (its only been 2 days though :cool:).

P

peanutym

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Behemoth, I agree with scrag 100%. What I'd do is start off playing the ring games as he suggested and when you get to about $15 (to be on the safe side), mess around with the $1 SNGs. Actually, thats exactly how I did it. Haven't looked back @ the ring games since (its only been 2 days though :cool:).

i pretty much plan to hit alot of 1$ sng also due to the fact you can play so many with so little money

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great stuff! Keep up the good work and good luck.

You wouldn't happen to give lessons on how to beat these games would you?

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good plan peanut.

Great stuff! Keep up the good work and good luck.

You wouldn't happen to give lessons on how to beat these games would you?

:eek: You make me blush. But seriously though, I have way too much to learn before I can take someone under my wing. I'll offer some quick advice though.

- Develop your poker MINDSET immediately. If you dont develop it now, it'll be harder later.

By this I mean don't limp in all the time for no reason (stop playing K9's, etc.)
If you miss your flop, resist the urge to keep dumping money into the pot because your curious/hopeful. Be willing and able to fold some good hands such as AA-JJ...sometimes you know your beat, so accept it (I think this is where most of my success has come from, actually) and stop clicking call/re-raise.

All that mumbo jumbo means...play tight. Truly play tight. Don't say you'll play tight, and then try your luck a couple of times. Thats how it starts...

Equally important though is Bankroll management. Some days, no matter how well you play your hands, it's just not going to go your way. You need to be prepared. I recommend having 25 Buy ins. Also, if your playing ring games, its good (In my opinion) to by in at the max amount. Why? Well, you won't be pushed around as much as if you buy in low. When you Buy in low, people already know your going to be a tight player and that can definitely work against you. Just be kool, and play as if you bought in @ the minimume.

That's some basic stuff for you. Other than that I suggest you read the info on these forums. It's where I got my start and its REALLY good info. Good luck.

M

markbills7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its tough ive built bankrolls from nothing and then got to about 40-45 bucks then got greedy went to high staked tables or heads upa ction and lost it all in seconds - you relaly gotta be smart & patient.

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All right, pretty pissed off. For every good hand I had, there were 2 Beats that came with them. I should've stopped when I fell to 45 and managed to get it back up to 65. Instead, I kept going and I know I had to make some mistakes.

Right now, Im ashamed to admit I'm @ $35. However, Im happy to admit that I've stuck to my plan, and have dropped down to $1 SNG's. I'll bounce back....be @ $75 tomorrow :cool:

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Duuuddde! That's not cool! What limits were you playing to down?! If you have a bad night just stop playing. If you know what you feel like when you realise you're tiliting then that's gonna help a tonne cuz at that point you just STOP! Happened to me last night. I'd read his hand perfectly. Knew I was beat but then second quessed myself an bust 225bb. So i stopped cuz my mindset was all over the place.

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright guys, some bad news to report. After preaching all this stuff about mindset, and not going on tilt, and saying I learned my lesson, etc...it happened again. I'm back down to $3. Actually $2.98. I can wholeheartedly say I detest pokerstars, and the fact that I'm a hypocrite. Seriously, I think I have a problem since I have the ability recognize my faults, know what not to do, but I still do it anyway. Maybe this humiliation will do the trick.

At the same time though, I really don't think I played bad @ all, but I know i suffered many horrible beats. Either way I should've stopped because things just weren't happening, but I decided to go for it and played $10 SNGs (This was after I went down to $35). What I said to myself was "I'm sick of these limits, I'll go for it and make it to the final table. Hell, even if I don't win and go bust, I get to start over again." How does that even make sense? It doesn't, but I made it sound good @ the time, and obviously I already regret it.

I slow played a few Two Pairs (AAs-KKs, etc) knowing full well that I was "misplaying" the hand and practically giving players some free cards by continuously betting the minimum, but those never backfired. I always won or they'd fold (when I'd lose[rarely] it wouldn't affect my game). I only lost when I played correctly, called a players hand correctly, betted accordingly and they got lucky on the damn river. This sounds unbelievable, I know. However I'm positive that after I hit $35, I played right. So, now that I know how to post hand logs, I will be posting most losing hands in my next run which I will start when I wake up or tomorrow. Break might be good.

Not looking for simpathy, tough love (whatever you want to call it) or any crap like that, I'm just keepin it real. Plus, this is like a journal for me so I can see how I develop as a player. Hope people can learn from my mistake because I know I'm not the only one with this issue. Also hope I can tame it this time around. At least Its not costing me money...just taking awhile to get my poker career off the ground.heheh.

On the bright side, Heres a SS of my $2.98 BR, so you can all watch me build it all over again...probably only to lose it later. Plus a SS of a "glitch" that's happened to me twice today on RiverStars. The other time the glitch happened, the cards were AhAd. Keep in mind, I dont even know how to use photoshop, I just cropped the bottom of the image because...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/mynuts2u/BRnewstart.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/mynuts2u/stars-1.jpg

One more thing... I'm now giving playing lessons :D.

Last edited:
S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:( I think i'm going to start an ACTUAL blog. Apparently Google has a good service. Anybody know of another? You should probably start a blog to dude. If you ever fancy cahtting about sessions just let me know. I'm in the same boat as you but i'm not busting my balls on $10 SnGs ;) Oh..or bsuting my roll ;) Just get back up on that horse!

P

peanutym

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea liveone you should make a blog also, get people to start reading about how your going up and down. you write alot and have alot to talk about might even start making a few $$ on teh side with that to help you bust with later haha.

Either way from reading your posts discipline is your problem, you seem to have the knowledge of how to play but sometimes do dumb things like you said which causes you do drop back out.

GL with it and keep us updated!

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dealt to Liveone1 [Jd Qh]
Liveone1: raises 200 to 400
Jrmhtz: folds
phatamax: folds
punchi 1972: calls 400
Isidrus1 is connected
shocker_jr: folds
tybeedave: folds
Mohustla: folds
Pokergod681: calls 200
*** FLOP *** [8h 6c 7d]
Pokergod681: checks
Liveone1: bets 1400
punchi 1972: calls 1400
Pokergod681: folds
*** TURN *** [8h 6c 7d] [3s]
Liveone1: bets 1885 and is all-in
punchi 1972: calls 1620 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (265) returned to Liveone1
*** RIVER *** [8h 6c 7d 3s] [5h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Liveone1: shows [Jd Qh] (high card Queen)
punchi 1972: shows [9s Js] (a straight, Five to Nine)
punchi 1972 collected 7340 from pot

Allow me to explain the first one. That guy had just bet like 3 times in a row, as if he caught every flop, & everyone had folded to him. I knew he was full of it, & since he called my bet, I put the guy on J,10 or something because he raised when he had QQ & raised ALL aces (A,7)

Did I play that hand horribly wrong?

Dealt to Liveone1 [Js Jc]
tybeedave: folds
Mohustla: folds
Pokergod681: folds
Liveone1: raises 1085 to 1335 and is all-in
lollo83ts: folds
phatamax: folds
punchi 1972: folds
Isidrus1: folds
shocker_jr: calls 1085
*** FLOP *** [Ks 9c 6c]
*** TURN *** [Ks 9c 6c] [4h]
*** RIVER *** [Ks 9c 6c 4h] [Ac]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
shocker_jr: shows [3d As] (a pair of Aces)
Liveone1: shows [Js Jc] (a pair of Jacks)
shocker_jr collected 3020 from pot

I managed to get a lil stack going again, and there you go.

-$.10

Last edited:
L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars Game #21938126946: Tournament #119747637, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2008/11/11 0:29:55 ET
Table '119747637 3' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 2: Liveone1 (1210 in chips)
Seat 3: chingon777 (1535 in chips)
Seat 4: peter G Unit (795 in chips)
Seat 5: Mr.Wichtig (2855 in chips)
Seat 6: thunderjack (2845 in chips)
Seat 7: RJarv (1375 in chips)
Seat 8: Maracugina (1585 in chips)
Seat 9: MAT TAMUG (1300 in chips)
peter G Unit: posts small blind 25
Mr.Wichtig: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Liveone1 [Jh Jd]
thunderjack: folds
RJarv: folds
Maracugina: folds
MAT TAMUG: calls 50
Liveone1: raises 1160 to 1210 and is all-in
chingon777: calls 1210
peter G Unit: folds
Mr.Wichtig: folds
MAT TAMUG: folds
*** FLOP *** [5d 5h 5s]
*** TURN *** [5d 5h 5s] [3d]
*** RIVER *** [5d 5h 5s 3d] [2d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Liveone1: shows [Jh Jd] (a full house, Fives full of Jacks)
chingon777: shows [Ad 4d] (a straight flush, Ace to Five)
chingon777 collected 2545 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2545 | Rake 0
Board [5d 5h 5s 3d 2d]
Seat 2: Liveone1 showed [Jh Jd] and lost with a full house, Fives full of Jacks
Seat 3: chingon777 (button) showed [Ad 4d] and won (2545) with a straight flush, Ace to Five
Seat 4: peter G Unit (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: Mr.Wichtig (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: thunderjack folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: RJarv folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Maracugina folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: MAT TAMUG folded before Flop

im looking for more :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL. I was joking a bit when I asked for the help. I've been here a while and have done pretty well for myself as far as playing and establishing myself as a member. I do what I can the help/support others. I started off in the micro-stakes as well and haved it grinded up...and down, so I know what its like to start from the bottom.

With that said, I really like your reply and you give a lot of great and valueable information that is sure to help out those who are just starting. I appreciate members like you who actually something good to contribute. So, please keep up the great work with your BR and continue to be a contributing member.

Oh, I over-looked your downswing. :-(
Hmmm, I have done pretty well with the micro-stakes and I am actually confident in saying I can practically crush. Im not full of myself and Im sure other members can vouch for me (if I play them enough). So, I'm not sure if you're looking for it or want it, but I'll be glad to help you with your game as you rebuild your BR. You might have small leaks in your game that you are unaware of.

So...please PM me if interested. I'm always looking to help out another member.

Last edited:
mike3373

mike3373

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it up man!!! Ur doing great!!!! I deposited $20 on bodog Monday and have been playing .10/.20 NL. Played 3 hours monday and 4 hours Tuesday and BR to $63.20. Spent an hour playing today BR $92.46 When I break $100 I will play some MTT's.

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just be careful Mike. One hand where KK vs AA an you stack off is gonna bust ya balls!

B

beefcake413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's happened to us all. I just got my reload bonus from Bodog, put 31 in my account. Built it all the way up to over 200 and then shot it right back into the mix within one night. Trust me, we've all been there. Thankfully I hit a freeroll and I'm back on my feet again. Keep grinding man, you'll build it back up no doubt.