vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I found a similar leak in my omaha game (to your small connectors leak).

hands like 7654, 6543, 6542, 5432, etc. Even when double suited, they have much less value than they appear to. In all, they have all lost me money over the long-run. The biggest issue with these hands is you are usually dominated when a big pot gets played. If you have a straight or a wrap, you almost certainly have the bottom end of it. Your flush draws are usually dominated. Even hitting two pair, you aren't happy because you're not that far ahead of top pair.

That's usually not a problem with hold'em, because your opponent is very unlikely to have hit that low flop harder than you have. But, this reason is another one why they aren't good for playing. When you hit, they don't have a hand that can pay off.

It hurts to pass on these hands. They are so pretty. They're much more tempting than their equivalent hold'em hands. In truth, I still keep the perfect 7654 single and double suited from late positions. But, everything worse than that is just not profitable unless I know my opponent folds too much.

The problem is, without looking, I tend to remember those times I won with those small connectors and give them more value. Just like many people here will talk about how they can stack someone when they catch the perfect flop with 9-7s. But, when you do the research and look at the real numbers, they're probably losing money on those hands, like you were.

Good catch spotting that error. It's a pretty common one.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Brief, clear, and correct. Well done, Madman.

To state the obvious: It's better to never play KQ than to lose money on KQ long-term. But the proper solution is to learn to play KQ correctly.

Every pre-flop hand is profitable under the right conditions. Sometimes it is profitable to limp or raise with any two cards, even 32o or 72.
Well I think you always should fold 32 and 72 just because no matter what shows up if you have equal hand-type to the other you are near guaranteed to have the lower one.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always vs never thinking is fish thinking.

Well I think you always should fold 32 and 72 just because no matter what shows up if you have equal hand-type to the other you are near guaranteed to have the lower one.

Dude. You were correct in the first quote, then you had to go and contradict yourself.

Against two tight blinds it can be profitable to steal from the button with any two cards. If they are both going to fold unless they have premium hands, it doesn't matter much what you have (although a better hand is obviously preferable).

The calling scenario is rarer, but it does exist. You are SB in a tournament, not on the bubble or in the money. Blinds are 50/100 and you started the hand with 60 chips. The small blind eats up 50 of those chips. It is always correct to call with the last ten chips.

Last edited:
Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This should be moved to the cash section I think because it's much more related to that.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Dude. You were correct in the first quote, then you had to go and contradict yourself.

Against two tight blinds it can be profitable to steal from the button with any two cards. If they are both going to fold unless they have premium hands, it doesn't matter much what you have (although a better hand is obviously preferable).

The calling scenario is rarer, but it does exist. You are SB in a tournament, not on the bubble or in the money. Blinds are 50/100 and you started the hand with 60 chips. The small blind eats up 50 of those chips. It is always correct to call with the last ten chips.
Any situation where your 32 or 72 expands, you will be on the lower end of any clash with another person almost definitely.

Thus, I don't fancy that scenario. Even suited it's a painfully brutal squeeze to ever profit from.