going bust with AA

damon789

damon789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never slow play AA?

Yeah.. Never ever slow play AA.. it would get u killed with your whole stack. i strongly believe all in with AA as it has a higher edge during pre-flop. when flop is out, you are fighting yourself with dubs,trips, drawing hands.. while AA is just only 1 pair...

Never do one thing all the time. To say never slowplay AA is ridiculous. I

personally agree with others in this thread that suggest limping in EP. It was a

favourite play for David "chip" Reese and if it was good enough for him it's

good enough for me. Ofcourse if you limp preflop and you don't get a chance

to reraise preflop then you are back to playing a smallpot. Many people

drown with their aces no matter what. If that's you I suggest big raise to atleast not

give other players implied odds to hit a set.

A

adrianrose

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We are talking about over 1300 possible card combinations that you can be dealt and pocket aces is definitely the best one. You did play well, especially if you figured out that the opponent has a pair (lower than you of course) You do want to go all in with AA against a pair when compared with something else. You have a lot more chances to win. As everybody knows, there is NO WAY that will guarantee any type of win in poker. Everybody plays differently and AA will be busted one day, another day or even 3 days in a row. It can happen. It is your decision how to play it but I do think there are some important things that you have to look out for:

1. How the other people are playing - observe the table and learn how your opponents play. Betting pattern is highly important.
2. Your BR - can you afford to be taken out even if you have pocket aces. what is the impact on your BR?
3. Your table image - people can tell when you have a strong hand if you usually play tight. mix up your play and you can end up with AA versus K-7 for instance. You want bad opposition when you have pocket aces so that you can win more money.
4. Can you fold the pocket aces? This is a highly important question and the answer should be yes. If there are 4 hearts on the table and your aces are diamond and spade there is a huge chance that some of your opponents have a heart. Can you fold the pocket aces then?

percy312

percy312

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no one beats ivey

preflop AA I would go all in anytime with any one no matter he is phil ivey or Jamie Golden lol...

AA all in preflop = awesome play
any hand against ivey = your doomed buddy...

B

brett987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u lose AA theres nothing you can really do just accept it and hope you can win a hand next time

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty good advice throughout the thread; from my perspective adrianrose provided the most sound advice in style with my play. It is heartbreaking to be knocked out of a tourney when the OP has pocket Ks & is dealt quads on a pre-flop all in. It is inevitable that Aces will be cracked @ various points throughout one's poker career. During certain hours some brick & mortar poker rooms offer an Aces Cracked bonus which softens the blow.

T

TheWall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol at somone using Jamie Gold as an example next to Phil Ivey hahahaha

B

BlackSmurfS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must play aces more agresive and you will not be payed with everycard.
I considered my aces are good when I go all in and another player play a good card , if I'm busted or not this is poker but I don't play AA with scarring

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Rockets - you got to love them when they win and hate them when they loose.

I believe your play was correct but then again so was the villains. He could have placed you on AK,AQ,AJ even A10 where he had you beaten - a race but worth the risk as villain would have been infront. With an +80% chance of winning the hand it was best to get your money in the pot.

JMTalbert

JMTalbert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played the hand correctly. You reraised, which is what you want to do and were well ahead when he called All In. If the flop falls your AA is, as someone above said, ONLY top pair. Any number of hand or combination of flops can have you dominated. Make your opponent make the decision preflop. If you get more then the blinds and don't have to see a flop, you are better off. I have seen AA lost to it all...I especally like when it gets beat by crap like 22 tripping up or 94 hitting two pair. It happens...a lot. Just don't ever limp with it. Not only does it put your initially strong hand in a ton of danger by inviting too many people into the pot, but if you trap me pulling some donk move like that I will track you down and smack you in the face!!!