Getting raised

K

killercon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you get raised is it ever a bluff. i have found out that getting raised is usually not a bluff. i got 3betted n i had pocket kings what should i do. well i seen the flop folding if a ace hit the board. it flopped AK7 now ive got a set. i was 1st to bet and then i got raised again i reraised n he went all in. what should i do. well i called. and he had a set of aces. what a cooler i thought but when he 3betted me i shoild have known he had pocket aces. what would you have done.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely normal game situation for a poker set of kings against a set of aces. I would also answer to Ollin! Far from always in such a situation, the opponent will have a pair of aces on his hands - much more often there will be an ace with some kind of connector.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In your set over set situation, your villain could also have had AK for 2p and honestly people stack off with less.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you talking about a cooler based on a single hand?

Tell me, have you ever moved your AA, KK, or JJ?

It turns out that at the time when your AA move it to KK, the cooler is YOU!

There is no such thing as a cooler in poker

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely normal game situation for a poker set of kings against a set of aces. I would also answer to Ollin! Far from always in such a situation, the opponent will have a pair of aces on his hands - much more often there will be an ace with some kind of connector.

Totally agree with the great advice in this post! :)

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
when you get raised is it ever a bluff. i have found out that getting raised is usually not a bluff. i got 3betted n i had pocket kings what should i do. well i seen the flop folding if a ace hit the board. it flopped AK7 now ive got a set. i was 1st to bet and then i got raised again i reraised n he went all in. what should i do. well i called. and he had a set of aces. what a cooler i thought but when he 3betted me i shoild have known he had pocket aces. what would you have done.

This is just one of those hands where you are supposed to lose money. It's a horrible spot, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. Much worse to fold your set and him be holding AK, A7 or 77 and he takes a pot that should be yours.

If you play this hand the same way 100 times, you will win a lot of chips against your opponents range. It just happens that this time he had the only hand he could have had to out flop you on this board.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should have 4-bet preflop, then he would have 5-bet, and all the money would have gone in. After that it just is, what it is. KK vs. AA is the oldest cooler in poker. As played he is certainly stacking off AK, and there are just as many combos (3) of AK, as there is of AA. So you still have to get it in, and its still just a cooler.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very rarely such situations occur, I prefer to push with monsters even on preflop. But this does not exclude the described situation, you should always look at your dynamics. And if the opponent is known to us his statistics can give important information that will affect the decision how to proceed if we were given such hands.

jesuisjesus

jesuisjesus

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play a lot of hande in order not to pay attention to such situations, they occur much more often than you think.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
On every street you have to put your opponent on a range of hands.
Because of the villains aggression the range narrowed very quickly to 2 pair AA-77 doubtful, you had the Kings so AA-KK was out, a set of sevens, which you beat, or a set of Aces.
Hard to fold a set of kings you were very unlucky.

G

GrammaKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When tight players raise it is very unlikely to be a bluff. When loose players raise, it is much more likely to be a bluff. Balanced players will work in bluffs with the right combinations of hands and are the hardest to play against. That being said, I don't think you can ever consider folding KK on an AK7 board, even against the tightest players, that's just a cooler.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When tight players raise it is very unlikely to be a bluff. When loose players raise, it is much more likely to be a bluff. Balanced players will work in bluffs with the right combinations of hands and are the hardest to play against. That being said, I don't think you can ever consider folding KK on an AK7 board, even against the tightest players, that's just a cooler.

I agree with the possibility of bluffs against you. There is a reason that raises and check-raises are usually viewed as strength, but naturally: some players will use these tools as bluffs. For "solid" players though, this is rarely a bluff. They must be bluffing less than they have it or they wouldn't be as successful in poker, long-term, as they have.

I have mixed feelings against folding KK on an AK7 board, even against tight players though. You are correct, most every time we are continuing even against tight players or nits. We just flopped a very strong 3 of a kind and these cases don't come up often enough to just pass on. When I get a strong feeling though, I will sometimes have to discipline to fold this hand. I know easier said than done (and even then I hate folding 3 Kings here because it is such a great hand), but I have good confidence in my intuition and spotting reliable tells. 99% of the time I am probably playing this hand further though; they simply have very low chance of pocket Aces/beating us, and even then you could just call it a cooler, but I like to minimize even coolers if I can; maybe I trust my gut reads more than the math odds sometimes (for better or worse), but this approach has served me well thus far.