Fresh Start

N

Nincompoop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PH
Chips
I used to play poker regularly when I was in my early 20s, I got a job and family when I was 25 and stopped playing poker. I'm 35 now I wanted to play poker again but I don't know how to start again. I want to play as often as I did before.

How to study poker nowadays?

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi! First, to gain experience, I recommend becoming a platinum member as quickly as possible to get access to CardsChat freerolls every day. Second, you can study theory and gameplay through videos or series on YouTube. I've watched a lot of the 'Inside the Mind of a Pro' series, which features different players. The videos are available in English, Spanish, and possibly other languages. Enjoy!

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I used to play poker regularly when I was in my early 20s, I got a job and family when I was 25 and stopped playing poker. I'm 35 now I wanted to play poker again but I don't know how to start again. I want to play as often as I did before.

Hey Nincompoop,
we are sitting quite in the same boat.
I played a lot poker in my late teens and early 20s, then got a job and family and started playing more and more again over the course of the last two years.
To get back into action I recommend the 30 days course from card chat. That will help you to remind basic stuff you already knew and to find gaps to fill.
If you still know a lot of that stuff and you are motivated, you can finish that course in 2-3 days easily.
As next two steps I recommend:
- learning optimal preflop play and
- how to exploit players pre- and postflop that play far from optimal as these are the guys you will make 80-90% of your winnings from.
Very helpfull to study optimal preflop play (and postflop play) are solvers, which didn't exist back in the old times.
www.gtowizard.com
Is an excellent site to buil your preflop baseline ranges. The preflop solutions for cash and tournament play are for free.
If you got further questions feel free to ask.
Greetings

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips

I have a similar situation, I resumed playing after several years of hiatus. At first, it felt like I didn't understand anything at all. just start playing, it's better to start with freerolls right away, otherwise you can freak out when you lose, or you'll fall into a tilt from all this poker dirt, and when you roll a freeroll, then because of the lack of risks you just play and improve the game))

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Same here! I also stopped playing poker sometime around graduating and returning to poker only recently. What I an doing currently is:
- playing as much as I can. Though the tine is limited with work, family and everything else
- going though 30 days CC course. However, I'm taking it step by step. Just don't want to rush it
- reading a book. In My case it is Power Hold'em strategy by Daniel Negreanu
- reading this forum and being active user in order to reach platinium level amd Access to platinium daily freerolls
- and lastly but in my case not least I set goals for myself. Not something beyond my reach, I would even say that my goals are easily reachable butik I can't reach those easily goals it speaks for itself

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

You are definitely in the right place. First of all, pay attention to our free course. In addition, it is important that you get access to our silver and platinum freerolls, this will allow you to quickly and risk-free build your own bankroll from scratch.
Detailed conditions here:
Currently, you can already participate in our bronze freerolls. Details here:
All in all, you just need to learn step by step and improve your skills by playing our daily freerolls. Good luck :)

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't forget to try PLO. Welcome back and good luck.

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Start by playing freerolls to gain experience, and always study professional tournaments to get the hang of it again, the rest comes with practice.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think watching tournament reviews reviewed by experts and professional players helps a lot.

23maxim88

23maxim88

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Your story is so similar to mine, except I started playing at 26. Back then, it seemed easier to win. I played on a small poker network, which is now Microgaming. Now, I've started playing again for two years. The results aren't great yet, but it helps me to have some income, especially since things aren't going well in my country right now. I'm also 35. The competition has grown significantly now, and it's harder. The knowledge that used to be sufficient isn't enough anymore. I'm contemplating investing time in learning the game.