nice tutorial but i just play semi-tight

N

ncscout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good info and thanks for sharing. I play a lot of freerolls myself and learned the hard way to be willing to lay down pockets preflop especially the first few hands. One thing I learned too is not to raise in an early position even with pockets because there will be some donk that will go all in with queen 8 off and 2 people will call him leaving you to either fold the pockets and lose the raise or risk it all first hand and leave it all up to luck and I have seen too many donks hit. I watched a guy hit 10 - 5 off earlier today first hand allin preflop and take out 3 other players including ace queen suited and a pair of pocket 9s.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is probably some of the worst advice I have ever read...

What was the point in this post? Arn't we here to help one another and give eachother advice? If it's the worst advice you've ever read, then why? Do you have different advice or other ideas?

I feel your freeroll post is very helpfull and I plan to use your ideas in my game.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the point in this post?
To inform all of you that are "plan to use [https://www.cardschat.com/../../members/mrknwitall/mrknwitall's] ideas in my game" that you are hurting your play.

Its not AG's responsibility to play poker police & correct every tiny detail that is wrong in the opening post. In fact, this opening post is so absolutely terrible, that it would take a ridiculously long time to explain everything that is wrong with it.

Sure, AG's being negative. But he's certainly justified in this case.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If this works I quit poker

I won't go into all details but I need to comment on this thread:

1. Is a freeroll worth playing ?
A freeroll is always worth it, it's a good place for learning and it won't hurt your bankroll.

4. Combating Tight Players
Sadly point 4 is completely false
- what do you mean with tight (tight aggressive, tight passive, nitty aso.) ?
- stating that tight players check to you is over-generalising
-sticking to a strategy all the time (if it is any) and not being able to change your play will hurt you.
-you do encounter TA / nitty players in EVERY freeroll - it's them who mostly place (I do place in freerolls regularly).
-probably the table wasn't tight, they were sitting out...

5. Combating the so-called "Donks"

Point 5 is false too...

Fold AA in a preflop donkfest ???

Just an example:

:ah4::ac4: 52%
:qd4::3d4: 13%
:5s4::3c4: 12%
:jh4::4h4: 17%
:kh4::2d4: 6%

This doesn't mean you'll win every time but more than 50%
And if you do win you'd get an 4:1 payout (e.g. 6K for 1,5K bet)

-don't chase straights or flushes or straight/royal flushes esp not by going ALL IN, odds are against you.

Enough said here.
:eviltongu

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post.
I woud like to know what's your best finish in $500 at BoDog and which %age did tou reach the top 63 (ITM),
;)

M

Minari

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great guide, helped me to finish 3rd place in pokerihuone.com freeroll!

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won't go into all details but I need to comment on this thread:

1. Is a freeroll worth playing ?
A freeroll is always worth it, it's a good place for learning and it won't hurt your bankroll.

4. Combating Tight Players
Sadly point 4 is completely false
- what do you mean with tight (tight aggressive, tight passive, nitty aso.) ?
- stating that tight players check to you is over-generalising
-sticking to a strategy all the time (if it is any) and not being able to change your play will hurt you.
-you do encounter TA / nitty players in EVERY freeroll - it's them who mostly place (I do place in freerolls regularly).
-probably the table wasn't tight, they were sitting out...

5. Combating the so-called "Donks"

Point 5 is false too...

Fold AA in a preflop donkfest ???

Just an example:

:ah4::ac4: 52%
:qd4::3d4: 13%
:5s4::3c4: 12%
:jh4::4h4: 17%
:kh4::2d4: 6%

This doesn't mean you'll win every time but more than 50%
And if you do win you'd get an 4:1 payout (e.g. 6K for 1,5K bet)

-don't chase straights or flushes or straight/royal flushes esp not by going ALL IN, odds are against you.

Enough said here.
:eviltongu

In regards to 1., a freeroll is not always worth it. There are a lot of freerolls out there. It pays to do a little research in determining which ones maximize your reward to time spent ratio. It's about opportunity cost.

I pretty much agree with the rest of the criticism.

For 4., I'll add that any half decent player will recognize what is going on and start check raising you.

For 5., fold the AA and chase the draw...? While this is completely ridiculous, I will say that you are on to something here in that you do not want to risk all your chips even with relatively good odds. If you go all in 5 times and are up roughly 6:1 (approximate pair vs unpaired under cards), chances are you're going to bust.

If I had to give one piece of advice for playing freerolls, it would be to keep pots small unless you have a monster hand. In this sense, targeting the tight players is the right idea.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eventually, you will have to play a donk in any freeroll. To defeat said donk, one must find a hand that holds up, no other way around it. You need to determine very quickly which opponents are donks, and which ones are not.

bosoxboy29

bosoxboy29

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanx 4 all the helpfull info. it's greatly appreciated:)