Freeroll Strategy

L

LOUKAS796

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight play, no bluff, something that is often enough to camouflage your possible combinations, making chek-call, most of the time you will find yourself with the stacks of opponents in your hand !!

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a smaller chip stack, its best to wait on good cards. I usually take my risk early, to save a long wait at the table... When I get ahead, I pick my spots...
Its not the same when ya get 10 k in chips to begin a tournament.

R

RobertJShaw

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am finding it hard to build a stack in the Elementary free rolls on pokerstars. I play tight aggressive but everyone seems to be so bad they just raise all in constantly lol. When I do have a good hand and play tight people seem to limp big pairs.

Any thoughts on what to be done?

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sit down at the table and believe in the final success, trying to play calm not to freak out. Afraid AH, like 10A, sometimes bluffing. I can only say that if you play all the time considered, sooner or later success will come, and who would not say that the 52 moves of AK one time out of 10

Y

Yoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you decide see a flop be ready to call all in:)

R

RobertJShaw

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks. I try not to see many flops with 1500 starting stack. Usually the blinds go up to 100/200 and I still have 1500 chips then just get unlucky :(

AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think tight at the beggining and agressive after is the right strategy.. Also you''ll need some luck for freerolls as for any tournament

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play tighter at the start and slowly build chips then when you get to the money bubble people will be playing so tight trying to get a cash you can become a little more aggressive and win a lot of chips

GrouxLive

GrouxLive

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thinks is the same thing if you are playing tournaments with buy-ins, I play very tight at the beginning, and when I have more chips I try to find good spots to steal blinds after they are good enough to steal.

Poker is math, so you need to know when you have to pay and you don't have it.

This. Pretty much tournament play 101.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to play is to wait for a premium hand and trap the fish who are ever so present in these tournaments. TAG play for sure. Patience is key. Once you get your hands exploit the weaker players that play super loose. It's not hard to get paid off with your monsters. A lot of players shove any 2 and you get gifted a stack if your hand holds. The downfall is bad beats in these free rolls.

AlayneBarros

AlayneBarros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play freeroll always and I'm learning enough strategies and knowing the plays too.

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing slowly at the beginning and aggressive play after. That is my tactics for freerolls. Because everyone play the opposite. :D

Mini1380

Mini1380

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I carnt be arsed to play just go all in and get it out the way. But if ur bored and wanna sit down for hours the I would enter the reg as late as possible and just try and get 1 good hand.

AlayneBarros

AlayneBarros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Frerrolls really are more complicated to play because being free entry the people have little attachment and for any letter they go all in, so caution is always good.

Djmickre

Djmickre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On beginning i play very tight, and when i have more chips i try to steal blinds after they are good enough to steal.

J

jefrock21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Beginning--Tight and maximize pots won. Try not to call all in unless I have premium cards.

Middle-- Try to steal a pot hear and there so the amount of blinds don't put me in a bad position

Late/Bubble-- Use my chips to my advantage, bully where I can

Post Cash -- Patient and aggressive

R

Reprise

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For freerolls I'll usually gamble it up.. i'm the donk going all in on the first hand looking for a quick double up or bust. Apologies to all those i've donked in the past doing this.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Higher the field & lower the prize, the more uninteresting it becomes for me personally. Previously I'd play any freeroll I'd set my eyes upon but now I'm selective.

Strategy wise I'd play tight in the early stages. You'll see many retards shoving with absolutely nothing but getting lucky. What you have to do is, choose your spots and take the chances.

Lets say for an instance you have pocket 9s at the button and 3 people shove before you preflop. Unless you cover them by a margin, I'd personally fold my 9s.
Only play monsters at the beginning and play them very aggressively. You can take advantage of positional play as well. Once you've doubled,tripled your stack try to see the flops cheaply with suited connectors as well. If you hit the board then you can get chips off easily from smaller stacks.

Luck is needed obviously but with some patience you can get there eventually. It's almost as same as a regular tournament + a couple of insane players.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Will everything depend on the purpose of this freeroll, satellite for a great tournament?
Playing freeroll makes you learn more how to play when it's money yourself, I like freerolls, my strategy does not change when I'm playing freeroll or a tournament that I paid to enter, we should always focus.

dominiq

dominiq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play in a good freeroll you can play more or less like in a normal tournament. But if you play some hyper-turbo-bingo freeroll then you play like a bingo. ;)

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play aggressively on good cards, and wait for your moment when you get a card and take as much as possible and bluff less is my opinion and I play like that

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normal game like any other tournament, the intention in all is to win.

H

Honest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Higher the field & lower the prize, the more uninteresting it becomes for me personally. Previously I'd play any freeroll I'd set my eyes upon but now I'm selective.

Strategy wise I'd play tight in the early stages. You'll see many retards shoving with absolutely nothing but getting lucky. What you have to do is, choose your spots and take the chances.

Lets say for an instance you have pocket 9s at the button and 3 people shove before you preflop. Unless you cover them by a margin, I'd personally fold my 9s.
Only play monsters at the beginning and play them very aggressively. You can take advantage of positional play as well. Once you've doubled,tripled your stack try to see the flops cheaply with suited connectors as well. If you hit the board then you can get chips off easily from smaller stacks.

Luck is needed obviously but with some patience you can get there eventually. It's almost as same as a regular tournament + a couple of insane players.

This.

I've cashed in numerous freerolls playing a similar strategy.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to gamble early and either double up or bust and register for another freeroll.