Freeroll Strategy

S

specialk13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Opinions on how you do you freerolls...

Do you try to go for broke immediately and gamble or find your spots to get your chips in?

marieemce

marieemce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thinks is the same thing if you are playing tournaments with buy-ins, I play very tight at the beginning, and when I have more chips I try to find good spots to steal blinds after they are good enough to steal.

Poker is math, so you need to know when you have to pay and you don't have it.

1noname1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the structure of the tournament, the turbine or not.

Dibsmaker

Dibsmaker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is difficult on start but when "the cards are going on" I try win some chips. Letter games with some chips are easier.

I'm agree too.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going for broke sounds like a good way to in fact go broke.

If you're there to gamble fine, but if you want to consistently do well I would suggest a more thought out strategy. :D

Most people are not looking to fold in freerolls - use this to your advantage by not bluffing much and value betting good hands relentlessly.

Good luck to you!

PCBANE

PCBANE

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in BOL and what I do the first few levels like level 1-3 i will shove with AK AQ AJ or any pocket pair that is 10s or higher. Past level 3 i loosen up and play suited connectors and suited Aces. Thats the stragety i use. Hope it helps

DuffMcGruff

DuffMcGruff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a very tight aggressive style early and I play push fold at 20 bb. I try to keep pots small, but tptk is usually worth all my chips on the right boards. I'll sometimes shove on draw heavy boards because the donks will call a shove with any draw, no matter the odds. I also induce bluffs against certain opponents because they think all in is the right bluff.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your strategy must be tight-aggressive.

Play only good starting hands.
Make big raises and big bets more, than in a normal game.
If you have a good combination, put, put and put again.
If you have nothing, well, nothing can be done. Don't try to bluff.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After winning, I try to recognize what worked.

R

Rollex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freroll gives you amount poker combinations which you on't use for money games. But freeroll play is much of a 'WRONG POKER'

I

Ian McCudden

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll or not play it tight aggressive early doors as too many donks will go all in with marginal hands early hoping to catch a monster ( which in IMO happens all too regularly ) good luck

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people say the JJ is the nuts on a freeroll, well, I don't agree, If a got a KK, AA at the frist hands I will raise like it was a regular day on a buy-in tournament. The best think on freeroll is that you mounter never get no action. there is always some crazy guys ready to 3bet all in with K4o.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really dislike getting into a position where I have to play freerolls with near a thousand players. The play is amatuerish and you only reinforce any tendency you have to play poorly. That being said, if I have to play those tournaments I push early and often, go big or go home. MTT freerolls with few players like Cardschat is a completely different story. Fewer and much better players, play your normal tight Agg game, wait for the good hands and outplay your opponents.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you enter into the MTT freerolls through cardchat? I agree that the normal freerolls are really way to much up to luck and with everyone going all-in every single hand it's hard for a new player like me to see how I'm actually doing

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the table but a quick double up is a good way to start but you can be heading for rail pretty quick as well.

leshausa03

leshausa03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I the first 10 minutes not even watching the table. Waiting until the end "the wave" of allin's

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not a easy question.
It depends on many aspects, like the speed of the freeroll, how many players get in.
I always play tight in the begining, wait for a great hand, and good lucky, go for all in.
Than, if do not loose on the start, I begin changing my way by how opponents are playing.

Last edited:
Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
during the early stages tight agressive is the best move due to at this point is useles to steal the blinds but if you see the chance to make a nice bluff against super tight players you could try it but be careful...

At the Bubble: here is when you must have a wider range and push those players between 8 and 15 BB stealing the blind wit hands like 45s+, 78+ , A2s+ due to they are trying to get ITM so you will get lots of folds you must take advantage of it if someone goes all in your desition is easy FOLD...

Now once ITM: prepare to close your range of hand now all player under 12BB will be happy to put all their chips in the pot and gamble there s be careful remember your goal is to reach at least thefinal table there are the best prices and that's have to be your goal since the beggining of the tournament GOOD LUCK ! :D :D :D

A

ACEORSPACE

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not easy question.
It depends mainly on structure of increasing blinds.
I usually play very tight when have 30+ blinds, am looking for spots only if am
sure that am not beaten, i dont steal much, when am at medium stack (u can say its low) 15-30bb i try to take more spots with hands like K10s,KJo,A9s,A10o on all positions, QJo,Q10s,J10s,109s,98s at late position, at low stack am not trying to double at first good card, prefer not to give up easy, am raising 2,25-2,5bb or pushing, then my range is 55+,A9s,A10o-AKo,KQs.Good luck and see you at the tables!

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls should be a Push and Fold strategy. Gaining enough chips in the begin of the tournament, so you have the benefits later on. Most of the freerolls online are hyper tournaments.

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is best to play as if with buy-ins, to serve as training and re-routing of your game

Shuler21

Shuler21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agressive play and double double double.

I

Ian McCudden

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people say the JJ is the nuts on a freeroll, well, I don't agree, If a got a KK, AA at the frist hands I will raise like it was a regular day on a buy-in tournament. The best think on freeroll is that you mounter never get no action. there is always some crazy guys ready to 3bet all in with K4o.
dunno about JJ being the nuts no matter what i am playing freeroll or with a buy in JJ hates me if i have it I lose and I have qq kk aa and some has JJ they beat me more often than not so tbh it is my absolute detest hand