Are freeroll players morons or is their ATC play correct?

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are freerolls. You should be ready to face such play in freerolls. If you are sick and tired of this just play real money tournaments.

jkgotsit

jkgotsit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will often in a free roll call a dubble shove!!!

In the first 10 min with 45 56 67 78 mostly suited. they are play n AKAQ KQ A10 A9 AJ and hopefully no pair u get lucky and you are tripled up plus!!! And on 2 shoves u r gonna get a shared card or the best ak ak vs 67s u r favored then u lock it down if not who cares. If you are playing for 2 or 3hrs and get ko'd then that sux. Play for 10 or 20 min 2 or 3x and 1 of them 3x or 4x up and play poker!! Also very important to know who is playing and who is sitting out. Many times you will be will be playing 3 to 7 handed! Fig out who is tight and start stealing its never to early.

jkgotsit

jkgotsit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
acr and black chip free rolls its 10$ and 600ppl

I say u go for a double up or triple then again. 10 places paid wow lol!

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say u go for a double up or triple then again. 10 places paid wow lol!

This is on the WPN network which BCP is on. After glancing at the thread again, maybe he is not on the WPN network. OP if you are, here is how it goes for me, and small strat try to help you out.

It is not that bad. I go out early a lot, getting sucked out on early because your going to get double or tripled up when your good hands hold., or going for the double/triple up with poorer hands. If you get AA on the first hand, having 2 or even 3 others calling a open shove is is more likely than having everyone fold. So equity in the hand goes down quickly.

The game starts when 270 people join, then either an hour, or 40 minute late reg period. So many people are busting out at the same time others are joining. Usually 150-200 left when the late reg ends.

Surviving that time is the hardest part, even being a nit during that time your going to get hands you just cannot fold. Late people are joining in, pushing and calling with all the junk the people was in the first minute. If one has a huge stack they seem to just keep on rather than slowing down and having a good chance overall. Sometimes if your at the table with many others for a while they have realized and will fold. At first or having new people join your table with a starting stack, good luck. The new person(s) are usually easier to double through, while the ones you have been playing you can use to build or maintain a stack to continue to the next phase.

Once past that part, I usually get to 40-60 people left easily. It is not as bad, however odds are odds, and I get people that will call a 3 bet shove with AJ after playing 100+ hands with them and never me never 3 betting once much less 3 bet shove and nail it to bust or cripple me. I want that call though, they are never ahead with AJ- (at best a tie with AQ, and not often), and at best a flip with TT- usually.

The good news for me, is when I have survived the one or two at that stage, of the 3 I have, I made the FT when it got to less than 40 (pretty sure i have). I won 2 outright, and the other I came in 3rd.

Less spots payed out, the more the spots that do pay get.

Last edited:
cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
have a little patience , the beginning of freeroll

have a little patience , the beginning of freeroll (start / bubble ) depending on the platform it is actually quite complicated but freerolls serve training to face , gifts, trolls, idiots and skilled players

good luck in poker and in life

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The shove ATC players are now infiltrating the Cardschat freerolls.
Find this depressing as there was once I high skill level in these games.
The downside for those sort of players, if they have a winning streak, they deposit and end up blowing their bank very quickly.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't give much respect to this type of play. I think these players know they are not skilled enough to actually play against other players. I try to remember what a free roll is - a free game that I won't lose money on. If one of these players gets lucky enough to cash, they'll be giving it back soon.

D

deerhunter29

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they are morons and a lot of times like 90% they are bots

J

JZarate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently i've been finding that the level of skill depends on what poker site you are playing at. Some poker sites have more skilled players in freerolls, and others have many bad players as well. The variable that is giving me the most trouble right now is the small amount of time we have before the blinds go up.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You're only winning 2/3 of the time there. Which means that ONE of every THREE times, that 63 guy will win.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
tourneys always have alot of allin donks as usual, its best not to go allin unless its 90% chance you will win.

I went allin with 90% a few times this past Sunday and lost! (& was KO'd).
I am now thinking it is a much better option to just wait until I am 100% favourite. Why take that 10% chance? (it makes no sense!)

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
correct me if I'm wrong, and the math gurus would know better than I, but just about the only time you are over a 90% favorite in holdem preflop is when you have a pocket pair that contains their highest card (example AA vs AK). And that's assuming your only against one donk, not several.

jkgotsit

jkgotsit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you serious you will wait until you are 100% sure well good luck with that has to be the most foolishness I have ever heard in over 25 yrs of playing! You wont risk it if you are only 90% You probably mean 92% witch would be for example you have 333 and I have AA and only a Ace can help me a 2 outer 8 times in a hundred and if I catch it on first the turn you still have a 1 outer a 3. really though are you going to wait for straight flushes and quads by saying you will be 100% that means on a board of AAKK2 You have KK you lay it down if I push then right? LOL Because you are not 100% you would need AA or AK to grnt min. of a chop. if you are a 60% favorite you call maybe not for your stack but depending on invested money sise of pot how much you have left and where you are in the tourney are all factors if you have AA pre You call Allin because you are a 79% favorite win 19% lose 1. something to tie the game is part luck you need to understand that if you are ever gonna be a winning player son.

Supa Dave is the one I am referring to in in my reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
if you play a' freeroll ' that costs something ( like poker points , or some kind of ticket ) the play is generally more rational . but any tourney will have maniac gamblers .

Z

Zackenta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
6/3 always will win 75% of the time all in with bad hands against AK and boom that 6/3 wins

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a freeroll.

It isn't costing you anything to play, so don't be afraid to gamble a bit in the early stages and try to snag a big pot. Not saying you need to shove every hand, but widen your range a lot. The reward is so much worth the risk...well, what risk? Its a freeroll. So, actually, there is just a ton of reward.

Use a freeroll to play out of your comfort zone. At no risk to you, it might be fun to shove marginal hands into someone, or play hands super aggressive that you might fold in buy-in game. Play super bad and run lucky for once. Don't give a hoot about odds, probability, or whatever. Use it to vent out frustration and bad beats. Whatever. Have fun with it.

B

bdc100

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP Here

Thanks for all the comments. Yeah it's only a freeroll and never -EV because I didn't pay to enter. The advice by philthy is good: relax, don't take it so seriously, get out of my comfort zone, shove at will. I will now think of freerolls as "vacations" from real-money games where you face real stress.

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you've paid a grand total of 0$ to enter the MTT, why not go all in with 63? If you bust, the next freeroll will be right around the corner anyway.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
why even play unless you're trying to win it?

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had to look up "ATC".. Did not know it was an abbreviation for Any Two Cards. lol

I wouldn't sweat it , its just a freeroll. If it was me playing your hand, I wouldn't get worked up about someone shoving 63 against me on a freeroll. As long as you think you played the hand correctly, thats what matter

M

Mantones

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don`t find often good players at freerolls,maybe last 1k play good,in rest only noobs.

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well the blunt answer is yes its bad play. But ! If you can double or tripple up early a couple of times then start playing properly then the early gamble can give you a big edge in what is usually a huge field.... I don't get it tho, even with the fast rising blinds there is still time to try and play solid poker

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
63 off suit is not much of a
hand . 63 suited ~3% better .

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I had to look up "ATC".. Did not know it was an abbreviation for Any Two Cards. lol

I wouldn't sweat it , its just a freeroll. If it was me playing your hand, I wouldn't get worked up about someone shoving 63 against me on a freeroll. As long as you think you played the hand correctly, thats what matter

thats what mike caro always says !

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that I don't necessarily like your play. I feel differently about freerolls and play them often, not because I don't have a bankroll, but because I like them and find them very challenging. Yes, there are players pushing any suited, any connected, any gappers, heck, any two. But that's part of the game. If you had a read on the guy and knew that he was pushing any trash, or if it was guy who always pushes from the blinds or some other tell that told you he would be pushing in a raised pot then I agree with the play because you are going to win 2/3 of the time, BUT, if you had no read on him then I'm not sure why you are calling in this spot. KQ is a pretty easy hand to get away from when it is for all of your chips and your opponent may have put you on a hand like this, or even weaker and pushed to try and push you off the hand. Don't forget, he is probably used to playing players that will open raise from any position with a huge range and will fold a lot to pushes. There is a different style of play in freerolls and there are a lot of factors to consider and the people who play them often are tuned into the way that these games go and play accordingly.
You did make the correct decision at that time to call, but you didn't give any reason why you called in that spot and what your thought process was. Whatever it was, your read, your gut, whatever, since it was correct in this situation, I would continue to follow it because your going to win a lot more than you lose. And finally, remember it was just a freeroll, it didn't cost you anything :)