Folding SB to limpers...why?

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless I am small stacked and waited for a prime hand. I will usually call the blind if I'm small blind. More often than not big blind is going to check unless they have a great hand

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Started immediately applying these concepts. I must say, I am staying away from a lot trouble. You happy now?! lol, j/k

Definitely raising out of the SB is better if you really want to see the flop. Otherwise, I'm starting to toss most of my hands away.

Thanks
Thanks bud [emoji5] . I hope it helps your winrate. Tightening up in the SB has saved me from a lot headaches in tournaments.

Ps. I wanted to clarify that raising in SB is best done as a 3 bet vs an open. Isolating from small blind can actually still be very difficult and I lean towards avoiding it but that's just me. 3 betting or folding from small blind though has printed me a lot of coffee money at the micros :D

For cash games I would still try to learn to follow upswing pokers loose play advice to try and hit trips/2pair/set at passive tables. Just be careful with hands that realize their equity in steps when out of position and only overlimp these with a passive table.

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks bud [emoji5] . I hope it helps your winrate. Tightening up in the SB has saved me from a lot headaches in tournaments.

Ps. I wanted to clarify that raising in SB is best done as a 3 bet vs an open. Isolating from small blind can actually still be very difficult and I lean towards avoiding it but that's just me. 3 betting or folding from small blind though has printed me a lot of coffee money at the micros :D

For cash games I would still try to learn to follow upswing pokers loose play advice to try and hit trips/2pair/set at passive tables. Just be careful with hands that realize their equity in steps when out of position and only overlimp these with a passive table.

What's your tournament approach when you see a raise and at least 1 opponents who call the raise and you're in the SB?

Is it the same approach as my initial issue (when only a limper enters)?

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your tournament approach when you see a raise and at least 1 opponents who call the raise and you're in the SB?

Is it the same approach as my initial issue (when only a limper enters)?

It depends on the table. If the raiser and caller are sticky and would call a 3bet which is frequently the case at freerolls and centrolls, I prefer to call (see more info below on what I'm calling with).

My personal approach, and I don't know if this is correct or not, is if the effective stack size at the table is at least 20x the raise, (or perhaps a bit less if it goes multiway), is to only call here with implied odds hands (and only if I have a deep stack and if I am sure BB is unlikely to squeeze!). My personal preference is small pairs only in this specific situation, I am looking to hit a set, and give up if I miss it. I tend to avoid suited connectors unless both the raiser and the caller are passive because connectors realize their equity in steps and an aggressive player can give you a difficult time even if you hit a draw on the flop because you are OOP. If it's very mulitiway (like 3 other players or more) and my stack is big, then I do sometimes call with connectors from SB assuming it's a fairly passive calling stationy table, because I know I can get a cheap turn card and win a huge pot when I hit my flush or straight. The last sentence usually applies in centrolls and freerolls because the players don't give you much credit and will give you their stacks away with nothing but top pair.

If the raising players open wide and fold to 3 bets a lot, I will squeeze with hands like higher pairs and suited boradways. However, not if I am facing a tight player's UTG or MP open (especially with a second caller in the pot, whose range is likely just as tight). 3 betting in this situation would be 3 betting with hands that probably have reverse implied odds; so I would tighten my 3 bet range up to the very strongest hands in this situation; like KK+. I would be scared about even playing QQ here with 2 other players in a pot given that they are playing EP ranges.

If it's only passive limpers in front with no open raises I will add suited aces into my calling range as you can flop a nut flush draw.

I think that's what I do for the most part, I tent to mix it up and sometimes do one thing or the other depending on how passive/aggressive or tight/loose a table is.

That's just my approach, but then I might not be doing it right. I'm not really a professional lol.

Last edited:
eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont usually protect my small blind against limpers. Especially if I only have 1500 chips to start the tournament. 2500 chips I may protect my SB by limping in. Starting stack of 10000 chips, yes I can afford to lose few chips defending my SB.

Folding in Poker