Folding

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding a few hands correctly and seeing afterwards you would win this hand.

How do you motivate yourself to going on with this folds?
Really annoying situation!

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A novice player always has such a temptation. And I had it. I always regretted throwing out a good hand. But gradually over the years it becomes indifferent to this situation. Because you understand the absurdity of pity for a discarded card. It is impossible to guess what will happen on the flop, and it is impossible to watch every flop without throwing a card. Otherwise, the stack will quickly empty.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making decision not only with hole cards but position, stack size and table dynamics. Can't worry on what was folded. Never look at it being correct, but with all those factors.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first, it was really difficult to fold with pairs of jacks, queens, and kings. With a pair of aces, all the more, but the more you played, the more you realized that in some game situations it’s better to fold the same aces than to lose the whole stack. true in the freerolls, in the early stages.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.I don´t worry about those things at all..I just try my best in the game..

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

sure but you fold over 80% of hands overall when playing well in mtt's or that should be target above 20% of played hands in say a 5-6 hour tournament.......

also this changes as blinds change and position changes.... you have to play accordingly with positional awareness throughout the tournament ......

one thing is to notice if your on a rush if you start winning 3-4 hands in a row might want to limp in with position at times or get a little aggro with good position steal some pots etc...

once cool off FOLD :) gl

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Continue to fold junky hands like J4s regardless of what would've been flopped. You would have to analyze your own game to find out if you're over folding better hands, however

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think everyone probably thinks this to a degree. When you play more, you learn to not let this bother you as much. Just yesterday, I was playing a hand where I folded K,2 off suit (I think clubs and spades respectively but I don't remember). Anyway, I folded preflop and I think 3 players made it to the flop. The flop then comes Kd,2d,6c (assuming I remember the flop correctly). A part of me was sighing inside because I just folded a hand that was going to flop two pair and the King was the top pair as well). However, mathematically, you make the correct decision by folding worse hands - even if the result sometimes goes against the majority. Take the hypothetical 7,2 off suit hand. This is seen as one of the worst poker hole cards you can be dealt. If the flop would come 2,2,2 then does this mean that the fold was "wrong?" No! You aren't going to flop 4 of a kind too often and if you called junk hands like this, then you would play every hand and lose much more long term. A lot of poker is playing percentages and shrugging off the few cases where the result doesn't align with the action that will be best most of the time statistically.

Anyway, back to me flopping two pair: or would have flopped two pair. By the turn and river, another diamond hit the board and one of the players made a flush. Point being that even my two pair would have lost. Even if my folded hand could have potentially won though, we must play the math to some degree (regardless of short term results/variance) and shrug off the times where we MIGHT have won and statistically, we will lose more with losing plays.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No gamble, no win.

Sometimes knowing that you're behind, 100% behind and still making that call. can pay off huge. sometimes Aces don't come until the river flush draws, or even pairing the board on the river as Doyle brunson says you have to leave yourself outs. know your outs.

xxxSSSxxx

xxxSSSxxx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a matter of odds. For every good had that you folded, there are a ton of bad ones that would get you killed.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

I have a suggestion. Take a deck of cards and deal 4 or 5 hands face up of varying degrees. I would recommend something like 72o, 67s 99, ATo and AA. Then deal the 5 community cards. Who wins?

Keep the same hole cards, shuffle and deal again. Run it as many time as you like, I would recommend 100, but do it as many times as you have time to do.

Who wins? AA will win around 50% of the time in the above scenario. But 72o will win around 5-6% of the time does that mean you want to play 72o every time? Of course not.

As humans we tend to get fixated on what we could have had and we forget all the times when we throw the trash away and it doesn't hit at all.

Train yourself to think in the long term viewpoint rather than the short term. It will make tilt control mush easier and instantly make you a better poker player.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key is not to pay much attention to this. You folded, no use in looking back. The question: what if I didn't fold? is very tiring and distracts you from your game.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there
It is important to watch your BR , others bets, and even if get AA
sometimes it´s better to fold
However, if i have AAs I´d go allin
Rgds

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

1. don't watch the board after you fold your hand

2. remind yourself that the game is about making good decisions with the information given (not in making good decisions if you could predict the future)

That mental reframe, especially if you say it out loud to yourself, will help a lot, and prevent you from taking on the bad habit of 'trying to get lucky'

Redbull199030

Redbull199030

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one of the main qualities of a good player is the ability to make timely fold

Folding in Poker