Flush over flush sb vs bb

fishbrains

fishbrains

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Sb raises 2.5x at a 4 handed 1 2 game. I flat in the big blind with KJs. Flop comes

9c8h2h

Sb checks I bet 8 sb calls

turn card Ad sb leads for 9 I call

River is Qh sb leads for 12. I mid raise he jams I call he has A5h!!!!!

I’m wondering if you guys think I played that terrible and what would y’all have done in my position.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Folded on the Turn! You had nothing to gain from playing any further with K/J, no draws and no outs if he was betting at the Ace on the Turn, he already had you beat, so no point in carrying on. Everyone loves to be dealt an Art Gallery (2 Picture cards) but they have to connect in some way for you to proceed with them after the flop, you would need Runner/Runner to improve to a straight or even trips, but that rarely happens.
As there was only 1 card to come there was no way you should have called his Turn bet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assume, this was a 1/2 live cash game? You did not tell the size of his open raise, so its difficult to say anything about bet sizing and pot odds, but I will give my take based on the information given:

Preflop
Certainly a standard defend, but you can also 3-bet a hand like this blind vs. blind.

Flop
Fine to take a stab with two overs, a gutshot and - I presume? - a flushdraw, meaning you had KhJh?

Turn
Now he donk lead, and I would also just call this and try to improve. He is kind of saying, he hit the ace (which he did), and I would not try to make an unknown 1/2 player fold top pair.

River
Here the decision depends a lot on the size of the pot, and how much was left behind. If you raise, I prefer a jam, unless it would be a massive overbet. But there is also an argument for just calling given the fact, that he is more likely to have a better flush than a worse one. This is because, both the K, Q, J and 8 are spoken for. So the only logical worse flushes are hands like T9, 97, 76 or 65. And there are not as many of those, as there are combos of the nut flush. This mean, that unless you think, he is leading the river AND then also calling a raise with non-flush hands, this raise is actually a bit thin, even though you have the second nuts. As played and facing a 3-bet, its probably a fold, unless you were getting 10:1 or something like that, since people almost never 3-bet the river as a bluff. But more importantly either jam the river or just call his bet.

fishbrains

fishbrains

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Thanks guys. I’m glad I found this site!

Full Flush Poker