Double Barreling in Poker

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for very useful article! The most part of information is new for me. I almost don`t use double barrelling. As usual I play tournaments with 75 bb starting stacks and the major part of tha action effective stacks are 25 - 35 bb . To my mind double barrelling is mostly too risky with such short stacks. But if I`m mistaking, please correct me)

Hackerosito

Hackerosito

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This topic is good, xq you always want to double the stack and you have to have intuition, and know when to do it, I stay with the game position and be patient in waiting for good cards and make sure you have the nuts versus your opponent. :bath:

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Double barrel is very efective, but I use to do it rarely, when villain explicitly calls many flops and folds a lot of turns. Depending on image of a player, his bluffs get power or lost power.

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play a lot of hands one-on-one (say, HA SNG), you will understand how much it is necessary to bluff. There are a lot of players who very often use float. There are also many weak players who call with any pair and draw. If you bet only with a good hand, then you will be played by a professional doing frequent folds and an aggressive player who uses float. If you make 50% of the bets on the value and 50% of the bluffs, then you will play optimally against all these players. Read the book "Applications of No-Limit Hold 'em: A Guide to Understanding Theoretically Sound Poker". There will be a lot of information about this.

charlie2013

charlie2013

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In some cases when I start betting,with a strong hand like AK,and in the flop theres nothing, I keep betting till river but always checking my stack if its not too much. And most of time I win. I didnt know that what I was doing had name and meaning hehe, Cardschat always teaching me. I learnt a lot of things here and keep discovering things...I appreciate!! The double barrel is more common for me! I also do the delayed double barrel if my opponent seems frigthened about the cards with same colour...But not everytime...But it really works! Excellent article!!! I ll study the last part: the keys of your... thankssss

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is an extra practice used in poker, at least from my perspective; they are much less the players that after receiving call to a c-bet they decide to go back and call to the prudence. Most players usually even bet on the river without having connected. In my case, I use the double barrel on dry flops, where it is difficult for the cards to have connected with the range of my rivals.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Double barreling for me depends a lot on my opponents range as well as my range. If I c-bet and the turn is a good card for my perceived range then I will double barrel regardless if it is good for my actual hand. Also it depends if I know if my opponent is willing to float a wide range or not.

S

sid kendell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
db

Great article by cc,got to try that delayed db. Double-barreling is almost mandatory now like c-betting was in Harringtons day.So many people float with A high,K high,2nd 3rd pair,draws etc.I will double barrel 3/4p on boards where I pick up extra equity and opponent dependant.In a 3-bet pot I will c-bet small 1/3p and db 2/3p because pot is already bigger.This is for missed boards.

K

kingarthurrov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think , it’s depends position and number of call. And more enough information opportunities .

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try not to bluff when playing poker in tournaments that are important to me. also want to say that when I want to bluff I always hide.

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good reception, can be used quite often. But for this it is necessary to understand well who sits before you. I rarely use such techniques at the beginning of the tournament. I like to compare poker with chess, but I'm not so poker-hung up.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good value second barrel works in nit opponent has a low rate wtsd and a high rate of fold to cbet postflop

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
9Good article and good answers of CC members ! I remember their words about double barreling and use against them espessially against big kaban!!!And frankly without joking I read this article attentively and rewieved the unfo I knew.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's funny how not knowing certain terms are put to use in many poker hands. That is my case with this article in which I realized that I have made use of Double Barreling without theoretical knowledge of it, just for having adopted it from some players through the videos that we found on the web. I understand that with a good stack and knowing the players is a very good move to get free chips. Excellent article and every day learning more thanks to CC.

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice about double barreling. I liked the article. I've been playing just over two years, but I'm new to the forums or actually studying poker so it is a new term for me. I think this article will help me be more conscious of how and when I want to double barrel.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for this article it's very helpful , I was doing a lot of mistakes 2 barrels in terrible flops and turns so I always get caught but right now I'm working on that strategy since it's very important to master it .

R

ricardibreezer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive recently had a rethink on how i approached my bluffs.

Previously a bluff for me would be about winning a hand when i missed the board. Now, with a little deeper thought, i plan a bluff before the flop & plan to win a big pot (rather than just the hand). This means planning a double-barrell early - hoping for a call to build the pot with barrell 1, and taking it down with barrell 2.

I've had some success with this. A couple of factors when to do it; almost always in late position and ideally against rather standard tight agressive players, who are ripe for double barrelling.

Once i sense a players range as being something like broadway hands & any pockets, I'll target this player for a double barrell.

Deep stacked in a cash game my opponents bet size on the flop doesn't give too much info as the pot is fairly small at this point. If he overbets it 2:1 alarm bells might ring, but anything from 50%-80% is standard and ideal for raising.

My raise here is barrell 1 & usually around 2.5x their bet. Now previously I'd always hope to get a fold with any bluff - but now i almost always hope for a flat call. If my opponent comes back over the top & i have air, i usually let it go here. A fold from my opponent is fine, but ideally i like a flat call for a bigger pot.

When the turn card comes, I'll almost certainly fire barrell 2 if my opponent checks and this betting sequence has served me well recently. The pot is also decently sized as my opponent has called a raise post-flop.

If my opponent bets, firing a 2nd barrell really depends on numerous factors, mainly the turn card & his bet size. If the turn card is a brick and his bet size is a small-ball, I'm pretty sure I'm going to fire my 2nd & last bullet here. If i don't get a fold then by this point it seems likely my opponent believes he has the strongest hand and is going nowhere.

A draw-heavy card on the turn & a larger bet (70%+ to pot) poses a much trickier decision, at this point information is king. Such as, would my opponent call a raise on the flop with a draw, is he prone to bluffing, or does he try to protect hands such as top pair? Sometimes in such a situation i read my opponent as having made top pair Q or something on the flop & get them off it with my 2nd barrell bluff. Often though i can either misread and run into a big hand... or get called down by an opponent who loves that top pair too much.

With my double barrells on the turn, I'm finding a high variance, feels great when it comes off and a disaster when my 75o runs into a set. Maybe i should track it more to see if it's profitable & if I'm choosing the right spots & players to try it with, but its a fun play to make for sure.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I use 2-barrel cash games. if the moment has been successfully caught, it works. however, as I have noticed, many players use such methods. I want to say that often on the river you can win with a bluff. I will add, the strategy is very dangerous, you need to use very carefully.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is nothing worse than trying a double barrel after a dry board and betting big into trips. At the same time, it can work early when nobody has seen how you play, or it can work when you have a good read on conservative players.

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever the pot gets isolated prior to the turn a barrel bet can be incredibly valuable. Often players who miss the flop but still have a good hand will call a c-bet but not a bet on the turn. When you place a bet on the turn, you are getting more information about what your opponent may have. Often you will see folds. When you do not see a fold, you can use the information available to determine whether or not a bluff on the river might be effective.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"What is a double barrel in poker? A double barrel is a bluff or semi-bluff that occurs after the turn and after you made a continuation bet on the flop. You are trying to build on the image of strength you established with the continuation bet and fire another bet - a second barrel - even though you still have not connected with the board. The intent is to get your opponent to fold. You are not trying to build a pot." - I do not often bluff enough, but for bluffing I have to have a big stack and try not to bluff against players with a big stack.