Does playing freerolls make you a bad player?

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing in Frolls you never Learn to play really in poker, Because there is no responsibility, only with money you will have responsibility for the invested funds and a chance to win something serious!

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls help me whith accepting that players are diffrent and are acting weard depending on the character. Also you get youse to play for hours and hours. It like army you get to your limits psihical and fizical.

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No. Good players will still have great results on freerolls.

NeverWin

NeverWin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the hands I use in freerolls, I use in pay games and I usually get bit in the butt when I try. How do you get rid of the playing junk habit?

You should play every hand in every game to your very best ability and not settle for less that your best effort. Overcoming the habit of playing junk cards comes with experience. Develop a starting hand selection strategy and while playing the freerolls make it a point not to deviate from your starting hand strategy. This way you are getting good practice on your discipline even though its a freeroll. Freerolls are not so much about the other players as they are about you. You have to make sure that you are playing your fundamentals correctly and outlasting other players. If you play enough freerolls and stick to playing sound ABC fundamental poker eventually you will end up at a final table and maybe even with a huge stack or in the top 3 chip leaders. Of course at the final table it may take a little more than basic fundamental poker to overcome the rest of your opponents. The chances are these last surviving players have knowledge and ability to play fundmental poker as well and may even have a few tricks up their sleeve!

Goodluck!

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually play freerolls the same as i play other kind of tournaments, meaning i use the same ranges and hands. but to be more clear in this matter, every player should be able to loosen and tighen up based on situation and a lot of factors which i won't detail here. so, if you really don't care about the freerolls you play, you can loosen up a lot and try to win every pot. this, however won't always be available against real money tournament players as playing loose can cost a lot more if they play just a bit tigher than you.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting self-evaluation question,

Unfortunately you may be on to something here,

For myself, I have realized that my game has been dragged down in the Poker gutters playing so many extremely small freerolls with so many individuals who probably would have difficulty spelling “Poker” …. Lol

I find that by playing with so many individuals whose only move is ALL- IN preflop, kind of gets under ones skin, and slowly dragged my focus and concentration out of my game style after many months of dealing with these bingo players in the sub $15 freerolls.

NeverWin

NeverWin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually play freerolls the same as i play other kind of tournaments, meaning i use the same ranges and hands. but to be more clear in this matter, every player should be able to loosen and tighen up based on situation and a lot of factors which i won't detail here. so, if you really don't care about the freerolls you play, you can loosen up a lot and try to win every pot. this, however won't always be available against real money tournament players as playing loose can cost a lot more if they play just a bit tigher than you.

I feel like you have gotten this totally backwards... you can't loosen up against a bunch of extremely loose freeroll players and do anything but go broke. You should tighten up against overly loose players and vice versa...

gotace503

gotace503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are good practices on patients. but also its bad for you in the heated sense. i get heated more now when i play freerolls. i play less freerolls now and play more in the money but its always good for practice and getting to know the site.

O

Olvia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overdoing with freerolls is not worth it, but without them you can not learn how to play tournament poker. For the player in the cash they are useless

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
after practice freerolls very difficult to deny yourself to shove with any medium or high pair

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are like bingo, just enter the pot and hope to nut it.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know why but that happens to me a lot, when Im playing at freerolls I am a great player, lots of luck adn great monster hands all the time, but when I get to play a pay game with the earning I get from freerolls, I have a lot of bad luck, I dont know if this happens only at PS because it is the only site in wich I play or, if this happens everywhere but it sucks haha :D

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No it should teach you patience if nothing else.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that freerolls make you a bad player but you need to step up your game a bit in a real buy in tournament. Free rolls are usually looser allowing you to make profit on hands you would not normally want to play. Make sure you in a freeroll you are still adhering to proper position and hand selection. Playing a straight forward solid game should do you well in a freeroll. Use it as a chance to practice your game basics and save your "plays" for a real game.

sanekhorror

sanekhorror

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, freerolls improve tactics and train endurance, though - crappy creepy:)

H

Hardhit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are more Fishes and will become allways a call. So there is more Bad Beats

D

domdiego

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls can be a way for you to learn different player modes and train for big tournaments because if you win in a freeroll tournament by the number of players who have their skill increase considerably

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, because the feeling about losing a hand or game is less intensive with a freerolls than with real money. In a freeroll you will play some hands you can't play in money games! ;-)

DSUMMER10

DSUMMER10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Novato no cardschat

Boa Tarde!Sou novo por aqui, e me juntei ao grupo para melhor performance no meu jogo.
Espero alcançar o resultado almejado.
Boa sorte a todos!

Nikka18

Nikka18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol no. I don't think so. Because I always play free rolls.

O

Olvia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I watch the final stages of major tournaments, it seems to me that good players play liberally as in a freeroll. So the freeroll is useful)

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bad player no. You need to adapt to the type of game you're playing. Freerolls - don't have anything to loose so players play it differently. Cash games - more focus and good players

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't know any consistently profitable player in freerolls that doesn't make good profits in micro stakes. About 10% of all players are profitable, 90% of all players you know are losers, there are a lot of bad players in poker, do you want to learn bad habits with them?

Last edited:
T

Tu Ng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played a lot of freerolls but only a few micro. I've notice that with micro buy-ins players seem to be more protective with their chips. Overall less all-ins but more 3bets.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello fellow, in my opinion if you become a freeroll winner you will be a great poker player and will be able to face any poker player, do not have the misconception that all freerool players are bad players, that thought is bad, if you can not beat freerool's you will never be able to win a great tournament.

Amen. I agree with this premise, as long as you are not winning due to being a "bingo" player. The only concern i have is that you may not be playing a lot of top tier players, as they will probably not be investing many hours for such a small return.

How many "pros" play $100 or less freerolls?

Freeroll Passwords