Do you usually bet with a flush/straight draw?

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It ALL depends on more factors in poker. You will never find any "universal" advice how to play some specific combination cause its different almost everytime...

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It ALL depends on more factors in poker. You will never find any "universal" advice how to play some specific combination cause its different almost everytime...

Ok, let's try another way.

Have you EVER bet out when on a flush draw?
I have NEVER EVER bet out when on a flush draw.
Should I revisit this strategy?

A

alunelu33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Happy to take a free card. Course sometimes its better to semibluff at it to build a pot. mostly check back.

B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on whats happening in the hand. If you can sense that no one will call you anyway, Id bet. Of if the hand, see like if the other people are chasing too, you may be able to build a big pot cause for all they know you have something. There is a chance that its gonna be a check raise (or they are fishing for info), so it really depends on whats going on in the hand and who you are playing. This game is not soley about the cards. :)

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seems like a very situational and player dependent question

if you want them to fold and think they will- bet
if you want them to call and think they will- bet
if you think they will check raise you and you dont want that just check

This sums it up, although when in doubt bet, IMHO.

One should also note when you have two overs with a straight/flush draw you have more equity than a villain with high pair and should be willing to call a 3 bet.

E

extreme911

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it 50:50. To do small raise or get free card.

Its great if you raised and flush is completed. Then after your check lots of players will think you were scared by possible flush (works only on micro stakes).
Check/call in such situation can be then very profitable on river.

I guess Check/Raise is better? All In is also an option... and actually as far as i remember gives you most +EV

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try with a small bet, and be careful to not to become pot committed

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally for me it depends on alot of things,number of players in the hand, the more, the less likely I'll bet,face cards on the board that are better then mine,how aggressive or not are the other players,there's just alot of situations here,but for me I've asked myself more often then not, why did I bother to donate, I seem to hit my card maybe once every 20 hands :cool:

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flush or Straight Draw

You have a flush draw in LP.

It checks to you.

Do you check to see the next card free, or do you bet, hoping to take the pot with some fold equity?

I know you don't have much fold equity if there are more than 1-2 players.

IN GENERAL....

Also, how does this vary if you have deep stacks vs. small stacks.

I usually will bet something to build the pot, just in case I hit. But, I'm not sure that chasing is a good idea. Usually, when I chase, I just feed someone my chips. lol

mike:smokin:

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm gonna run you over regardless of my cards. So if I have a real hand like a flush draw you better believe I'm betting

B

Ben_Dover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the flop has two suited cards, and everyone else checked I kindof like betting third-pot here whether I actually have the draw or not. If I do have the flush draw. then I may get a caller and stay within my flush draw-odds. If I don't have the flush draw (and hopefully I have something like top-pair and not completely bluffing my a$$ off), then I might get someone else to call who actually does have a flush draw (assuming they'll struggle for a while and figure out they have 4:1). If I get a re-raise then at least I learned something, or, I may just win the pot right there - reportedly called fold equity, I think.

C

CubsnBearz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it depends on the situation. Generally for me, if there are still a few players in the pot and they are checking down you can do a small raise in order to build the pot and keep the other players in. You can also make a medium raise in order to earn a free card to the river, meaning that if you raise enough during the flop, other players might check down the turn to you thinking that you have a hand, allowing you to see the next two cards without another bet. Probably only good to use that second option when there are fewer people in the pot though, with tighter players playing the hand.

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When in doubt, BET.
I am going to remember this one.
Need to start betting with my flush draws, and see how it works out.

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A half pot bet with a flush/straight draw is always recommended as a basic play. The reasons for this as you're increasing value on your hand and getting more money in the pot from other players. Sometimes if you're the last player to act and you CHECK, on the next betting round on the turn someone is more than likely to bet, and that sways control from them in the hand, and they are now in control regardless of your position.

Last edited:
H

hollinc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind betting to atleast beef up the pot or take it down right there. For example, if I have a flush draw and its 15/30 and the pot is 180 w/ 2 or maybe 3 other players, I might make a bet of about 45-60.

I do this because, in the micros, I will pick up the pot a decent percentage of the time right then and there to make it profitable,... the other percentage of the time, I'll hit my card right after against maybe 1 other caller. From there I'd try and get value... Then, of course, another percentage of the time I'm up against a player I think might not have much at all and would fold to a bigger bet and I would then be picking up a much more profitable pot.

This doesn't work all the time, and I pick and choose when I want to do it (whether or not I'm up against players who trap/slowplay a lot or maybe are aggressive) so I might just take a free card.

B

bojax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Typically I'll be more likely to bet the fewer players there are. If I do bet, it's going to be somewhere between 1/2 pot and pot depending on the board, the number of players, and the desired response from my opponents.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends what type of flush we got? Have we paired the board... makes quite a bit of difference with our outs and odds.

If I pair the board with a flush draw i'm always raising and if I get ppl trying to fight back, I jam it.... then it's either up to the player or the poker gods.
Whatever our villain does it don't matter... he could have a whole wide range of hands and if we catch our flush or hit another out to hit trips or 2 pair it... or possible straight.. we could beat a lot of what he could be calling a jam with :)

L

losties

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you calculate your outs and think that it's worth calling then it will be. Especially, if you know your opponent well. However, this doesn't mean that you're pot committed in any way. Also, your opponent might see this and put you to the test by raising it a little higher than normal.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have a flush draw in LP.

It checks to you.

Do you check to see the next card free, or do you bet, hoping to take the pot with some fold equity?

I know you don't have much fold equity if there are more than 1-2 players.

IN GENERAL....

Also, how does this vary if you have deep stacks vs. small stacks.

I am quoting cause I am too dam lazy to read all the responses...

Dont forget, it is not only you getting a free card. There are many factors to consider, so no one way will always be the best. Very important is how the players still in play.....play, how they see you, do they pay attention at all etc...

Flop or turn? Bet the flop for sure. You start to build a pot, and if it was limped to you, you are facing stupid limpers in which case BET, or speculative hands that may call here but could shut down if the draw completes, so BET. Turn will be more specific to your table dynamics and reads yiu have on the other players. So OTT you also need to know what you will do OTR no matter what card comes.

If you have 2+ players OTF you dont want FE as much as you want people to call your bet.

alaz3r

alaz3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better check when you have free card's ..

B

BYOP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending on stacks and oponents you can either check or raise...no one folds a free card lol
also depends on game tipe and table becouse on sat or bullet games with rebuys you migh get shoved on with 72...it happens alot
also having a flush does not mean you have the best hand so you need to tred lightly and make sure of the read you have on your opponent

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally, in those cases, we shouls wait that somebody bets. If we bet, we can scar our opponents. If nobody bets until the river, in that case we have to bet to try to take some benefit.

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't bet a draw unless you have a pair, overcards, or absolutely put your opponent on nothing. If they reraise me, I would most likely fold. If I don't make the draw, I would find it hard to fire another bet.

Full Flush Poker