Do you trust a poker site to teach you how to play poker?

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are several sites that try to teach how to play poker, I don't see anything that can add to my game sometimes I think they even teach things that will hardly happen in one in the game, I don't see anything new, so I don't believe in them.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free sites will not teach you anything. You have to take paid training. Free sites can only teach you how to be a fish.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is best to read books and watch streams.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Today I registered an account on CardsChat to play freerolls and build a bankroll. But in addition, I hope to also find here useful sources of information to improve my game.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everything that contributes to improve your game is good, for some people different things work, for example watching pro player transmissions helps me a lot to understand and improve my game, there is too much free information to improve but you must be willing and perseverance to achieve it:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
there are several sites that try to teach how to play poker, I don't see anything that can add to my game sometimes I think they even teach things that will hardly happen in one in the game, I don't see anything new, so I don't believe in them.

So you dont believe in Cardchat :hmmmm2:

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's always good to sift through the plethora of information and then adjust for our specific poker world. A cash game advice is not for tournament. Mid-stake tournament advice is not for low-stakes, or even freerolls. Live poker advice is not for online. GTO advice is not for exploitation. A LAG in their game does not exhibit the same LAG behavior in your game. Button RFI range is not the same in your game, and so is BB defending. Their tournament structure is not the same as ours. Their games are different, their villains are different.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
I think the only site I trust for learning opinions and poker strategies is .........! Of course, you guessed it, Cardschat. It is interesting to read the opinions of club members and some links received on the experience of professional players:):):)

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use Jonathan Little's site. They have material from different coaches.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing like everyone else won't help you,,, :p

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I trust only one site. This is CardsChat. I believe that this site is more than enough to study the game, my development and progress. :)

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
My own best poker school was a poker stars. The level of mtt players is very high. I can learn from better than me there.

Of course it's cost a lot of money :D But You know that poker is not for little kids :)

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are lots of this sites to be honest. All this sites usually just wants to take your money. Every day i see this links on twitch or elsewhere. People who offering coaching and other things like that.
I believe there are lots of information right now for free and you don,t need to pay for this at all.
Also i don,t understand people, who can play poker well, why you need to teach another people to play well, if next time they will take your money away? The answer is that they just want to take your money for coaching.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to be very careful. There are many freeloaders and charlatans in every market and business that involves money.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

There's a lot of diferent types of how do you play. If you don't think some material don't add nothing to your game, just try to find some that match to your way of playing.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You can watch free site but anyway the best lesson is playing poker .......

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends of the site, but I prefer to learn by reading books from the players that I like the style of playing.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Learn from any source you can- it can only accelerate your game.

I try some deep dive sources and then I will run across something superficial which strikes a chord. A few years ago I came across a simple beginners instruction lesson given by Phil Helmuth (yeah its true, I think he made a brief series). For whatever reason, Helmuth as an instructor was great (I think his dad was a Uni professor). The clip was about position at the table and even though I thought I understood the matter within a few minutes Helmuth provided me a clarity I had never had before.

I do not take Helmuth 'seriously' in general but it taught me a good lesson. Keep an open mind and it will be surprising where you can pick up information that improves you game.

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a complex game. There is good amount free content out there. It's not structured properly though and therefore makes it difficult to understand.

There are some paid courses which are very well structured and do a good job of explaining the concepts.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. Some sites do have good content. But paid courses are much better and do more justice.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best poker advice strategies come from this forum and poker professionals.

C

Chewbacca514

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

My concern about poker coaches or online courses is that they won't teach you the proper information. Poker is all about lying, right? So why the hell would I trust a professional liar to teach me something that will cause me to take their money? Obviously this is a very cynical take and I hope I'm wrong about everyone, but you know there are people out there doing this. I mean, every time someone plays a terrible hand against me and wins, I tell them "nice hand". That's not helping them. I'm trying to take their money by telling them their bad play was good.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Just because you dont see anything new does not meant there inflammation is not correct or good. Poker stars bought out the rights to Poker school online about 2009. While the information is dated, for new players its got a ton of value. I was a part of PSO and learned how to become a better player. Yes there is nothing new but for a beginner its just what they could use. They are also not trying to help compatant players but beginners.

There are lots of this sites to be honest. All this sites usually just wants to take your money. Every day i see this links on twitch or elsewhere. People who offering coaching and other things like that.
I believe there are lots of information right now for free and you don,t need to pay for this at all.
Also i don,t understand people, who can play poker well, why you need to teach another people to play well, if next time they will take your money away? The answer is that they just want to take your money for coaching.

Your correct they want your money and yes there is a lot of great free content out there. These site are more for people who may want to take there games to a better level. Some teach as a side business. Poker is a tough game and they deserve money for there time to teach others. Most players will never play against those who teach them. Most if them are looking to move up but playing in the game there teachers play will likely never happen as most people play as advanced recreational players.

My concern about poker coaches or online courses is that they won't teach you the proper information. Poker is all about lying, right? So why the hell would I trust a professional liar to teach me something that will cause me to take their money? Obviously this is a very cynical take and I hope I'm wrong about everyone, but you know there are people out there doing this. I mean, every time someone plays a terrible hand against me and wins, I tell them "nice hand". That's not helping them. I'm trying to take their money by telling them their bad play was good.

I can understand not trusting and being Cynical and there are back actors out there for sure but there are a lot of legitimate ones as well. While I dont agree about poker being about lying it is a part of the game. We need to remember its more that that. Why would they teach you? well its not likely they will ever play you is a good part of it. Take Jonathan Little, why would be be concerned about you or I playing him when he enters Bobb'y room to play 100/200 or 200/400 cash games. About not teaching you proper information, well if people are not improving and loosing more bad reviews wont help grow there sites and people leave giving them less money and possibly going broke. There is just no really good reason for them to purposely try to take our money and hurt the players. Yes if they were at the table they would take every chip they can but other than that its just not likely.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't trust poker coaches for

1. Poker coaches are trying to make money

2. What works for them might not work for you and vice versa. What works for you might not work for them.

3. That typical poker coach playing style might not be for you.

The one thing I learned about poker from practicing and playing is that you have to find out what works for you and STICK WITH IT! Nobody can be you but yourself. Just like in life every human being has their own unique personality and style the same applies to poker.

CC is the one and only poker source I actually wouldn't mind taking the course and learning from. Why? Because not only is it free but there are so many people on here with different opinions and playing styles that I can relate to and apply to my game.

B

blazee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play over at Replay Poker and that's helped my game quite bit.