akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
While nobody except one member answered the second question. Preflop all in I would definately prefer KJo over 98s.

They tent to call easier an all in with Ax , Kx , 98s is more preferable hand to open jam , two live cards are better than a dominated Kx IMO. Run those hands in an equity calculator!

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They tent to call easier an all in with Ax , Kx , 98s is more preferable hand to open jam , two live cards are better than a dominated Kx IMO. Run those hands in an equity calculator!

I thought most 10 big blinds push or fold charts have KJo over 98s. Now you and Ohshootmybad got me thinking.

Damn, I should have asked that question on first post instead of going for the twist:p

R

rustofor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me 98s is better on BB, to defend the hand. And KJo on the button and in the push/fold situation in short table. :captain:

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Further up someone correctly posted the odds. Maybe most here go with their gut....but the math and the correct answer -if you want to play wining poker in the long run= KJo about 60/40. Yeah but...yeah but.... yeah but, it's KJo.
All you 89s...I'd agree, but then we'd both be wrong...so. Although. 89s has about a 98.4% chance of beating my KJo, or my AA, KK, etc- in the Frerolls. so, there's that. hahaha.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure I Eight the lady dressed to Nine. Doesn't mean I'll Jack the King off. Know what I'm saying.

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
98s is a better hand if you had to call a 3-bet than KJo, but KJo is a better hand equity wise against a CO, BTN, SB, or BB calling range. That being said, in MP, I play KJo pretty much the same as 98s, but might call a 3-bet with 98s if I have enough info on an opponent, I'm IP, and they play obvious. KJo plays horrible in 3-bet pots, as most of opponents range dominates you; AK, AJ, KQs.

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
89s has more available to connect with on the flop, can be more profitable. KJo doesn’t play as strong as you’d like in many situations.

You see an ace, queen or two suits show up it’s a shutdown

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought most 10 big blinds push or fold charts have KJo over 98s. Now you and Ohshootmybad got me thinking.

Damn, I should have asked that question on first post instead of going for the twist:p
i didn't give a reason.

In most situations, 89s is easier to play. You hit flop hard or youre done. Its also pretty well hidden and you can paid off from big hands/draws. 8s9hAs flops with get you a lot of action from Ax, flush, and straight draws. Its easy to let it go on a K82r flop getting a lot of action, though.

With KJ, you can get into some trouble on a J26r flop, for example, if you bet and get called on the turn is blank or you get 3bet. Depending on stack sizes, it might be too strong of a hand to let go, but can get you into a lot of trouble.

Last edited:
P

PeedroZack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJo cause you play better vs the blinds, if they shove and you are deep you wont pay with the 89s

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are in middle position. What hand would you choose? 98s or KJo?

Suited connectors will flop very well more than KJo.

With KJo you will flop top pair with K and may have serious kicker problems.

98s will be live against most all broadways while KJ can be easily dominated often.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
98s all the way.

If i have an opponent who wants to 3bet my opening raise or opens the pot themselves will likely hold many more hands that dominate KJ and if you do connect chances are you could be way behind. 98s however you either hit the flop hard enough to continue or you dont...plus if you catch a piece such as top pair, pretty likely that a strong TAG opponent wouldn't have many 9x hands in their range.

Yeah, summary 98s hands down

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
89s
hell id even play 89o
love the hand hits a lot of flops for me

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
98s is more profitable
KJo wins more
If that makes any sense

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wouldn't you want favorable odds in any situation? So middle position is the only criteria?

Of course if you play KJo in odds it is better than a 89s, and the example is in middle position and is like most said you also need to consider if there is any previous rise and few blind because that also depends on the decision you make .

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course if you play KJo in odds it is better than a 89s, and the example is in middle position and is like most said you also need to consider if there is any previous rise and few blind because that also depends on the decision you make .

Didn't particiapate in the poll as it was vague. Noticed you didn't particiapte in the poll. Any reason why? Did offer the choice of a pocket pair (don't mind pushing short stacked in mddle position with a raise in front of me), but declined. Based on your last relpy here, then I opt to fold. Since that is not an option in the poll, I'll wait for more options. But thanks for being the voice of reason on this thread.

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both hands are good options to follow in the game, but I'd particularly feel safer with 98s. Depending on the flop I would avoid losing more chips than if I were with KJo.
Besides surprising the opponent and make more profit if I hit a good combination.

J

jesterr44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it's all depends if there is any bettors before me and what stuck I got. But in 90% of time I would just fold because none of these are good hands to play if you not catch the flop you are minus 3 to 4 big blinds

Yeah. fold was not an option but I would rarely play either of these hands from middle position

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
89s for a few reasons. first because theres the flush draw and its more connected so more straight possibilities. second because with KJo you can hit more higher pairs but youre only going for pairs basicall and not straight or flush, and when you do hit a pair you run into higher kickers pretty often so you never really know whether your hand is good or not, but when you hit a sraight or flush with 89s youe almost always good.

J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From MP? Both hands are the same because both hands are most likely going into the muck unless I am at a table with really tight/passive players in LP and the blinds.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While I would certainly want KJo over 98s heads up, I think you can get more value and stay out of trouble more often with 98s.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I refer a pocket pair. Can you add that to the poll?

Hand.jpg

Sorry for answering in such an old thread. But I thought I would just leave some odds also, for any member who could view this thread.

Screenshot 20190819 235239

Screenshot 20190819 235204

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given the choice of one or the other 98s it just has far more playability throughout a hand. Your going to pick up far more turn equity with a hand like 98s to keep the pressure on with your barrels when you miss the flop. Where as Kjo is really relying on making or turning a made hand and doesn't have all that much playability on later streets.

Last edited:
eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Kjo is a hand that can really reduce your roll.

If the J hits a lady can beat you and if your k arrives, you know the river is going to hring an ace.

98s, you may not expect to hit but if you pull off a straight or flush, you could be in the drivers seat.