Do you change your game on the final table?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hi forum,

I am wondering if you change your play style on FT? Or do you think other players do?

Recently, I had the situation a few times that I enter the FT as top 3 stack but ended up busting as first or second at the table. 😵

Sometimes I have the feeling I need to improve my FT play and related to that, I get the feeling especially the mid stacks have a much tighter range, than I assumed?

What are your thoughts on that? 🤔

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always play the same way even at final tables, but if I'm the chip leader at the table I'll definitely take advantage of this advantage and press a little more.

The big problem is that since I only play freerolls and the structures are tighter, when I make it to a final table I usually have few chips so I can't move as much as I'd like.

But I also see that the other players also play a little slower, leaving aside that loose style of play, as usually happens at the beginning of tournaments, especially in freerolls.

Grateful Cesar.

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have the same problem,, I build up the stack, and then I don't know how to save it,, I need to learn, raise the level of the game, because the further in the tournament the stronger the players stay in the game

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It usually depends on my stack size. Large stack = very loose aggressive. Short stack very tight hoping someone else goes out so I can move up a pay grade.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi forum,

I am wondering if you change your play style on FT? Or do you think other players do?

Recently, I had the situation a few times that I enter the FT as top 3 stack but ended up busting as first or second at the table. 😵

Sometimes I have the feeling I need to improve my FT play and related to that, I get the feeling especially the mid stacks have a much tighter range, than I assumed?

The question is what is your FT play?
FT play is more like a Full ring cash game.
IMO, Tight is right until you know the spots, and that can take a bit of time.
Don't put too much pressure on short stacks, you have to preserve your Stack as long as possible for a nice take out of one or two players.
Momentum is the key at the final table, if you have taken out the first player it gets easier.

PauPau

PauPau

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
I thinks it depend is FT is a bounty or not. You can risk if the bounty is more than the pay jump and you will risk only 1/4 to 1/3 of you stacks.
I played majority hyper-turbo satty so its either very agrressive table or tight table as only Top 8 to Top 2 get the ticket. Definitely if i am the chip leader on the bubble i keep stealing blinds as long as i have 3x the stacks the player in hand.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
note: this is just how I approach final tables. it might not be optimal and I'm not trying to spread bad information.
Hi forum,

yes, you need to because payouts and money jumps must be considered. it would be disastrous to bust out as a top 3 stack in 8th or 9th place, especially with players who much shorter in stack size and likely to bust out way before you.

another adjustment is knowing which players think about icm and which don't. I play micro mtts and I can say that most don't, which is good news for me because it means all I need to do is play the top of my range and let these players knock each other out. I've seen top 2 big stacks clash preflop w/ q10 vs aj for 60 bbs effective, when I have 5 bbs I'm 8/8 and I take the easy money ladder. heck, I've started fts in last place, with < 10 bbs, and moved up to top 3 by just nit folding until I blind out because of how the table was playing.

yes, mid stacks who are aware of icm will tend to play tighter ranges because they don't want to risk busting out before the short stacks.

honestly, mid stack is just a weird spot because bigger stacks can apply so much pressure if there significant short stacks at the table. they face the most icm pressure, assuming they know what icm is. if they don't, they either bust out over playing a hand or they build a big stack.

Last edited:
userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm so rarely at the final tables that I don't even know what to answer :)
I usually play very carefully, I only take risks when I'm sure, and that's probably why I rarely make it to the top 3.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi forum,

Study FT play is very important because you have to make very different decisions than in any other spots. You also have to play more exploit vs standard players as you make money when other players throw away equity against each other. We will fold hands to let two players battle -We will attack players who are too tight we will fold to big stacks who are too loose etc etc etc

DanielNeg

DanielNeg

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NP
Chips
I wish I was able to teach you this but I am also. struggling alot these days and feel like there’s alot to learn.
However whenever I play on final table.
I play very tight since there are also factors like pay jump.
Since I am only playing freerolls tournaments and 50cents $1 tournament everyone goes allin on final table because of that I am not able to learn anything new just playing on luck with tighter range😓

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I am definitely changing my game to FT and first of all it depends on whether there are stacks shorter than me on this table and what are the chances that they will be eliminated from the tournament first. I'm not likely to open loose at any position in the standings.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I absolutely think final table play is a whole different game, ICM dictates much of the play on all final tables with payout jumps, 2nd or 3rd in chips is a golden opportunity... a mid stack is looking to get that double and has a little more wiggle room to have a better hand than a shorty so yeah I'd be careful there trying to play sheriff, depending on the player in question of course👍

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Actually, everything that is important has already been written and I can only agree with most of it.

Personally, I'm only interested in the jumps in money and only then the overall victory, so I adapt my game. (I try at least.):ROFLMAO:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless its a very small field, then there are payjumps for each player busting on the final table. For that reason you need to be ICM aware, and as you say, a mid stack need to play quite tight except against the short stacks. Its not like, its something completely unique though, since ICM is also important on the bubble and on the final two tables.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have on an Final table of most big stack, I'm playing more aggressively, that more quickly to finist a tournament!
If I have a smallest stack, I'm waiting the Best hand for Self... If I have average stack, I'm listening more to my Intuition, and believe in my Luck!

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Continue playing your game as before. After all, it was this strategy that led you to success, why not continue in the same spirit? Answer: no, I do not change strategies;)

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Of course 🤪! Usually, until at least 2 player are ouț, my range of hands îs AA or nothing 😜

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hello!! surely the guys are much more adapted to ICM at the final tables, but it will certainly be the best option to play the ICM because the payjumps are good at the final tables, and there are a bunch of guys who make a lot of mistakes at the final tables.
It is rare to find players who study ICM in the Fts and their ranges and certainly the game changes a lot.
I usually play Fts fairly, respecting the ICM to have greater profitability, usually our earnings are related to prize ranges and not to spikes.

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In a final table if I'm Deep I play pressing of course, depending on the position at the table, but if I'm short I'll wait for a reasonable or good hand and go all in!(y):unsure:

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
My game at the final table depends on who my opponents are. Sometimes I change my game in order to be more unpredictable, but it all depends on the situation, as you understand there are many factors that are important and must be taken into account.

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Talking about freerolls, in particular the daily CC on PS, was one of the best places to improve and study that kind of thing. Making and trying multiple ideas and suggestions from other players, as well as methods to change the style of play at different stages of the tournament, even to check out and mark your opponents. In those tournaments, of course, the gameplay changed at every level, primarily at the FT. It is a shame that since the structure changed in the CC PS, there is no longer that fabulous practice scenario.”

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Yes, especially if I was transferred from my table to the final table, as well as the evaluation of the players, because the most players call only if they get the strong hands and they defend it in aggressive way to not open the way for intruders.

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi forum,

depends on the situation, I usually change the way of playing according to the actions of other players.

Top 10 Games