do you become too careless in your play when you are big stack ?

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Replying to the post,

I have this problem too. When accumulating a big pot I get careless. Fortunately, I've learned to control this and continue to play tight after amassing a big stack. Then I'm waiting for a premium hand to lose all my chips in bad beats instead of carelessly. lol

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I do have to be careful when I get a big stack:

Others are trying to get my chips
And suddenly as we get near the money "bubble time" I tend to get more bad beats
And of course the system is programmed to eliminate more players or else the games would never end

So NO it's not about getting careless it's about bad beats

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I play too careless when I have a big stack, but definitely you need to take advantage of the power of the big stack against the other players, specially when it's next to the bubble and you can play more aggressively to steal chips.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bigger the stack, the more I play more carefully so as not to lose. For example, before the prize money starts, I play with one eye and watch the movie in parallel, and when the prize money is already going on and closer to the finale, I close all the extra windows so as not to interfere.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never,,,i love a Big stack,so i like to Sit on it. :deal:

W

White664

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a veces tener muchas fichas ayuda mucho, puedo ser mas agresivo

K

Kasapa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
vira vidente

Quando esta grande, joga mãos com cartas que só vc acha que vai dar.:D

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I begin to relax mentally and feel like the king of the table, who is the envy of everyone :p

But I also get super cautious as to prevent myself from losing that status again; my playing style changes from loose-passive (I know, that's the worst combination :rolleyes:) to tight-aggressive, using my stack to force others to be careful with their decisions when I'm in the pot.

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I wouldn't say careless, but play a little looser trying to get to the final stretch even bigger lol:):D

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that being careless when you have a big stack is the number 1 reason why those in first place lose most of the time, I have witnessed how many times they play arrogantly and that leads them to lose in about two or three hands. Regards.

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, more than negligence, so I play randomly and lose a lot

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always take advantage of the big stack

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man when i had no study at all it cames to be really funny. Sometimes i was top 10 on an tournament (mostly freerolls) and in 3 or 4 hands i was out of the tournament. Today i look for reasons to play when i'm short stack and when i'm with loads of chips i realize that i have all time in the world to wait for good cards.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
After a level or 2 all you need to do is look at the top 10 stacks. Most days must of these player go broke before the moneys, why? They have the chips and feel it’s there job to just run over the field playing to many hands and overplaying them. This is not a long term winning strategy. If these players actually played smarty they would do better long term. Playing for 100bb or more with 2 nd and 3rd pair or having top pair with a 3 kicker.will win they chips can a bad player. But they just get stack more often than not. When I get a big stack early I play my normal game and do well overall.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the cache table, when it becomes a deep stack, I leave the table.
In tournaments, when I'm running in first place, I can't wait for the final table and it's frustrating.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
lotta chips early seems to open up my calling range..

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Getting a large stack is one thing but having the skill and understanding to leverage the Big stack is something many don't fully understand.

bilva1984

bilva1984

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

Yes, it usually happens to me that when I have a lot of chips I don't know how to play.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I tend to play not enough hands if I have a lot of chips. I need to play more hand and to put more pressure on the smaller stacks.

O

oldbutslow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to play not enough hands if I have a lot of chips. I need to play more hand and to put more pressure on the smaller stacks.
Sounds like me, altho i have recently started to 3 bet way more often when i have the big stack instead of just calling more.

Apply the preassure towards the correct players is something i need to work much more on.

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the stage of the tournament. If the tournament has recently started, I can start to be careful with some disruptions. The bubble speaks for itself, there are chips here - and it's good. Well, on the final table, you can also squeeze, just carefully.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends if you are, for example, playing freerolls or low buy-in tournaments.
On a more serious situation, you should not waste the advantage you have.