Do we Learn From Our Mistakes?

K

katsbrasil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
katsbrasil

each day gemte learns more from our mistakes and makes us stronger for everything in life

C

Chicungulla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most of the time and we learn from our mistakes but when we don't, life takes care of putting us over and over and over again the same thing

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah we do learn from our mistakes, but we still often repeat them. I try to focus on the mistakes of others at my tables and take advantage of them.

pendulabgd

pendulabgd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of us have heard the saying "we learn from our mistakes". But is that true for you in poker? Have you learned some of your weaknesses and fixed them or do you find your self in a rut making the same bad mistakes! I am my own worst enemy, I need to stop fighting myself.:fight:
If you have learned from your mistakes, give me some tips on what you were doing wrong and how you fixed it, please!

I surely am.
First tip that I can give you that I'm doing now and I didn't do before is to use ranges for my opponents, information with what cards opponent raise, call is gold for me.
Secondly at the tournaments I learned that if my call is cheap I'll call, so many times I won but when you get involved in pot you must be ready to fold even if you have something, that's why using ranges can help a lot and in the later stages I play only premium hands, I'm folding A2-9o easy, not even thinking to see the pot, suited cards are okay if it's cheap enough and late position, early position I'm folding that all day.
I figured that I was loosing a lot in the past simply because I was entering the pot with weak A kicker, and when A comes out I'm defeated right away so now I don't even think to call.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the mistakes I make always lead me to reflect on what I should or shouldn't do, I get very angry with myself when I find myself going back to the same mistakes, knowing that a certain move is not profitable and continuing to make it is my obstacle in progressing and sometimes going back

Dalyn

Dalyn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning from those mistakes and making sure not to repeat them is what can make us improve ourselves.

T

tigervball

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would hope so! Otherwise, we will never get better.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Often, learning from your mistakes is expensive when it comes to poker. The only thing I can advise you to learn from the mistakes of others, see poker streams and analysis of distributions, it is at least cheaper. But you will still learn from your mistakes, and there’s nothing to escape from this.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of us have heard the saying "we learn from our mistakes". But is that true for you in poker? Have you learned some of your weaknesses and fixed them or do you find your self in a rut making the same bad mistakes! I am my own worst enemy, I need to stop fighting myself.:fight:
If you have learned from your mistakes, give me some tips on what you were doing wrong and how you fixed it, please!

I log situations that lead to me being knocked out of a tournament.

After a month of these logs I boil down the "error" if possible - in each situation.

Then I write these down on a piece of paper and review them before beginning a tournament - Don't Do This! lol

It does help me avoid those particular mistakes. And I manage to make new mistakes that I add to my list.

If I don't learn from it then it is a total waste of time and money!

Good luck !

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Initially, we all learn from our mistakes. The issue longer term is that we do not learn as much when becoming better players and 'winning' more. We settle into playing patterns with lesser mistakes.

I am currently doing a lot of experimenting, playing very loosely, even recklessly at times to not just broaden my range but to get a key understanding of a wide range of players. Its mixed results. I'll go to showdown against heavy bettors/raisers to see if they 'have it'. Overall, I lose more hands but it is interesting. Sometimes they are nutted, sometimes they aggro bluff with nothing and sometimes they hit their high card on the river.

So I am slowly building some profiles on opponents and expecting future dividends. As for learning and the idea of studying, to be frank I am not convinced the majority of players do that much. Poker players like to give the impression they are always beavering away in the books but even Nick Schulman is fairly dismissive of the idea and believes even the top pros do not study half as much as they say.

I know that as long as I am working on 'something' I persuade myself it is enough when I could do more.

I

imhereforfreerolls

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you take time to think over what you've done wrong and if therewere the clues that you missed to play that situation better, for sure.

V

vaseatca2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I learn from my mistakes but i think that only one way to do your game better it s to analyse your game and to play very much time

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I not only learn from my mistakes but also notice strangers. To some extent, this leads to the progress of my game.

Dale Kirk

Dale Kirk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been learning a lot lately. Yes I make huge mistakes, I think we all do. Yes I'm learning from mistakes in every game but does it work on every site? I think different sites you may have to play very different from time to time.

costy1300

costy1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, if we want to improve, at least I do, I try not to repeat a mistake.

Serg77

Serg77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mistakes

You know for me the mistake is when I feel that I shouldn't do something but the voice inside me tell - let's try and stop not going till the end. Often I losel money because of that and after opening hands only phrase in my mind - why did you do that? You knew there was no chance for success!!!
I can't stop doing that staff despite my intuition fail me every time:)

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, the All CardsChat Community! I think, almost All learn (or try at least) from your mistakes...
Only results for some reason get different for everyone after this! Here such is a paradox!?:rolleyes:
Have above anything to think... for each!..:cool: And Good Luck Everyone!:)

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to learn as well. Especially playing near the bubble or on the final table. I ask myself if I fold and the other player busts don't I move up the pay ladder?
Still working on picking my spots better and working on short stack play. Do I make mistakes in these situations ? Yes. Especially in short stack play where the math is to go all in and have to live with the results of a 60/40 flip.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Of course of course I learn from my mistakes, also I study in which failure and at what moment of the game and thus I learn :D

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i notice me learning from mistakes but how can they be called learning or learned if you just do the same mistake when a different version happens? lol.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t know why, but it seems to me that it is useless to analyze the game in online poker. If the game first failed, then waiting for a positive result is useless. Rest a couple of days.

J

jorgetorres0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely want to think that if I learn from my mistakes, especially when I pay with speculative hands that end up costing me a lot of money. I think learning from my mistakes makes me more disciplined when playing and helps me win in the long run

S

sheldon20264

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I learned to play poker on my mistakes, in life all normal people learn from their mistakes

S

skin_ak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so i dont because every time i say i am beat i still call just in case i am wrong crazy i know