Discipline in Poker

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me to defeat poker is to defeat itself, it is a war against its own weaknesses

1dkp0k3r

1dkp0k3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried to incorporate 'patience' on the tables last night and was doing well until my pocket queens got beat by 5-3 off suit by someone who was playing a lot of hands. After that loss I started playing more hands that I should not have been in but got busted shortly after. Any advice for someone who sometimes loses it after a bad beat? :argh::argh::banghead:

CLICHE ALERT!!!

Don't chase good money with bad

Try getting up and walking around after a bad beat. Think about how you played the hand, evaluate, mentally note and correct any mistakes made. If you are still feeling hot and tilty after this, rack up and leave. Better to cash out than to blow what you have left on the table

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find that I have more patience when I am analyzing my opponents when I am not in a hand trying to figure out their where their leaks are. Trying to put people on ranges based on their bets.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The walking away from the table for a moment usually and most times cashing out is best, but when I'm in a tourney I find it harder to to do this. Trying to figure out a way to combat this. ....

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also Struggle with this

I also struggle with this. I play too many hands I than realize it and start playing less and than i get a lot of chips and blow them all by not being patient I am working on correcting this but it is easier said than done

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Slow down, stay patient. trust your instincts. You usually know that your making a bad decision before you make it. Then you feel even worse after the hand and you say to yourself "I knew I should've folded." At least this is what happens to me much of the time.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When talking about the word discipline, i think some people r misunderstanding this, discipline you should have in your way of playing, dont get out of your statutes and own rules (dont start doing things that usually dont do before, there are excesses but you should not do too many ), some people start a game regime as an olympic sport and really that path i think isnt the right one, the body and mind should be in harmony and perfectly rested, if you can add more rest it is much better .. just make comparisons of playing 24 hours straight without sleeping, and playing 5 hours sleeping, hydrating and eating perfectly .. the less you saturate your mind the better your results will be .. unless you are forced to do so and if that were the case you should take 1 day or 2 days to rest.

if you ask me today: are you disciplined as a player? and i would say that my discipline is basically dont stop playing poker more than 24 hours .. keep me so active that i have to find another game to clear my mind for 1 day or 2. I usually recommend playing 5 or 6 days a week, and no more than 8 hours. Also, is important for me to play listening to good music

Last edited:
C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that is the key to success

C

Cashcards

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think the most important thing is the hardness of character to the goal. patience is the good assistant, of cource if your chips do not run out faster

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Advice from others is sometimes what a person needs. I feel that we often learn from strangers because we experience new things daily. Advice from strangers can be insightful especially if they are giving you advice pertaining to something you do not know or have minimal knowledge of.....I'm just saying. ..lol

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing tried

That is something that I had not considered. I had played for about 4 hours and got knocked out 2 people before I cashed by a hand I had beat until the river. After this game I played another tournament right after with no rest (knowing that I was tried ) but because I was frustrated I wanted to get into another game and was doing things that I knew I should not be doing after I got knocked out early. It was only after I woke up the next day that I realized that I had done this. Stupid is what I told myself but a mistake I will not make again:stupid:

M

mjarom21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fine line between being patient and loosing equity. Remember that your only leverage in poker is your chip stack, the longer you go with out using it, the smaller of a leverage tool it becomes, that is tournament wise. I think a good poker player is patient at times and very aggressive at others, switching gears as you go along. So if you find yourself sitting there and not playing a hand for an hour, maybe try to mix in a FEW re-raises here and there in good spots and try to use that stack as leverage when you are card dead.

R

rchrispino

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline is fundamental both in poker and in any other sport or area of ​​your life .... concentration, patience, focus and knowledge are some factors that helps and much, and conconco with some comments that it is necessary to relax and trust the instincts, because most of the time we know where the error is, but with discipline we can identify the error before committing ...

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with symptoms of 'tilt' especially when you lose big pots to b.s. hands. .....

E

EasydoesitMG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would give myself a period of time, perhaps a month where my sole focus is to make a correct pre-flop decision. Winning the hand does not matter, just straight pre-flop decisions. Keep track and mentally congratulate yourself each time you make the right decision. Seriously, actually say to yourself "Good Fold" This will help to mentally condition yourself to feel good about making proper preflop decisions and reduce that urge to play a hand just because you have folded so much.

Love this!

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Frustrated

I guess I will have to get to a place of 'Zen' and try to focus on something outside of the poker table when those times of 'tilt' start to show. ..:motz:

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The breaks

I've been getting that a lot lately, folding a hand trying to have patience then seeing every card that I need hit the board and some b.s. offsuit ends up winning because I'm not in the hand then finally play a strong suited or AA or KK to get taken down by a weak starting hand. WHAT!!??.....really frustrating:confused: :mad:

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Staying grounded

I played in a small cash game last night and was in the last remaining 2 tables and ran into a string of bad cards. I was bleeding chips to the blinds and antes and then finally get a good hand only to lose to a very weak non suited low hand on the river. I felt my patience just about to leave then I noticed the break was coming so I sat out and cooled out until after the break and came back and played the rest of the tourney in a level state of mind. I end up coming in 3rd but I know that had it not been for the cool down time I would have tilted out long before then. ....Patience! :flute:

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up

I played in a tournament yesterday and practiced a lot of patience and it came down to heads up play with me and another player. I tried to play the same way that I had been playing initially but found myself giving up a lot of chips and got busted trying to push so-so hands. Trying to figure out the best strategy for heads up. ...any tips? :confused:

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Disappointed

I had a monster hand and played it the way it was supposed to be played, or so I thought. The cards to beat me never should have been in the hand in the first place, I didn't do enough pre flop to get him off his square. Got to fix that. :mad:

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What would you do ?

2 minutes before the second break in a tourney, not yet in the money but close enough to notice. You are big blind and suited, someone raises and half the table calls, including you. Open ended straight draw and two of your suite on the table. There's a bet, a raise then an all in...what do you do.....

Don't think I made the right call. ...

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost my patience today and got knocked out of a tourney. After folding a 'lot' of hands, I got impatient and started chasing and lost hand after hand until I was done. I have to find a focus point when tables get this way. ...dang!!!!:mad:

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try setting limts on the quality of hands that you will play in each position on the table . Write them down if necessary and stick to them.

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of balance and adaptablitity. Because the circumstances change with every hand dealt, its important to be aware of the conditions that pertain to not only how strong your hand is but to the power of your position in the rotation of betting. Discipline is being able to acknowledge thse subtleties and being able to apply them to you decision making. Knowing that certain hands that are strong in an unraised pot are not as strong in raised pot. But considering the same exact condtitions as I just mentioned, the information you ascertain is completely different is you have played plenty of hands with this person and their raise represents a larger range of hands. Whats more important than discipline is getting enough hands in to understadnt the game on a level that you can better conceptualize. I recommend also reading poker strategy books nd articles

The_Times

The_Times

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It 's like with any other habbits. You should know for yourself that you should do something what is right. And you should start immediately. If you don't you will just waste your time and eventually anyway you will have to do that.
So don't waste you time and do the things you consider are good for you