Defending the Big Blind (Day 26 Course Discussion)

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Defending yourself is a must

You can't let them take your chips so easy, if you don't demonstrate resistance you're gonna be easy prey for the table.

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for explaining how to play the big blind. Very smart play and easy to understand. Will try to open up my range at the big blind and get all the chips! Let's go to day 27 :)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're right Imnoob, that wider range in the big blind can be key. Nice work getting so far in the course and good luck on day 27!

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Learning to defend is one of the components of a successful game. And it doesn't matter which way you choose to protect. It is important that this method will show its effectiveness.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 26...4 to go

It's nice to see that this course teach us to how to play in BB and SB. I think this is a weak point in the recreational poker player stile of play. In my case I fold way to much in this position.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the all in A8o in the BB I would just check, and all in if I had a raise from LJ and calls. UTG would be too tight to be profitable, in 6max I would understand it, but utg raising, he would call most of his hands, here the UTG villain called with such a hand, I suppose that the HUD gave information about how loose and agressive he was. So would it be better to check here with no info on the UTG villain? Or is it still better to all in here?

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my very short poker career one thing I've realized is that I hate defending the big blind. There's a good reason for that. I almost always lose too many chips doing so unless I get lucky (rarely happens) or am totally bluffing (which I seem to not be too bad at).

As an aside, I'm not sure if I missed this before but it seems the terminology has changed from regular/recreational players to thinking/weak players. I've seen a lot of discussion on Cardschat about luck and skill. I lost a big hand (and the tournament) today against a weak player and won a few against a thinking player, so it was a good day!

Anyway I feel a bit more confident defending the big blind after this lesson. Thanks Collin!

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Finished day 26

It's important to define a big blind defense range and adapt it to the profile of the players at our table so as not to be exploited especially by the cuttoff and the button.

I think ATS plays an important role and helps us adapt this range.

Regarding the question of the quiz, in this spot the best decision is shove 22 on big blind against the button which raises because its open raise range is wide and we are less than 20 bb deep, so we have no depth for 3-bet light.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A little while ago I didn't have this concept in mind, no, folding lots and lots of hands, folding a lot against the small, which fortunately I found out is a big mistake, we should take advantage of the discount we get to see the flop, that's why it's so important defend the BB, as I can't repeat it, another specular lesson, thank you very much guys!

26/30.

J

Jruedrew

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KW
Chips
I just realized in the game I was playing yesterday somebody went all-in for less than the minimum raise and then the original raiser went all-in for much more to try to isolate that player. Thanks to this video I now know that was an illegal move because he shouldn't have been able to open up betting again, he should have been able to just call or fold to the all-in player. I thought I knew all the rules of holdem but obviously not! I now can call them out next time. Also, I now know to defend the big blind much wider when late positions are the raisers.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Defending the big blind is an important tool to have in your box. If you don't defend the big blind your opponents are going pick up on that and pick-pocket you every time.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, day 26 finished.
Nice topic about how to play in BB and how to get chips in this position.

Ty.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 26 completed. I agree that defending the blind involves crucial strategic considerations. These variables undoubtedly influence the breadth of defense and the effectiveness of the overall strategy in a hand. Thank you for this lesson!