Defend your BB or not?

R

RNG

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Against the small blind, its worth defending a lot. But if someone else raises, you should only play good hands. People just hope to hit or just fold and I think you leak a lot of chips if your image is always check fold.

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in synthesis, odds

negranu might explain the concept better than me

sry but I do not now how to add a video directly in the post (edit: I did it :D )

enjoy

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late in the tourney it can pay dividends, especially close to the bubble. Without cards I would normally play early on I will usually fold. It situational though at best and a lot depends on the reads I have on the others at the table.

italiano

italiano

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
letters personally defend with good range. but rather, if the bet is large retire and increase in other hands with good cards

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I too have come across few players who give up there BB very hardly... and it some times traps themselves...
During the initial and middle levels, i really dont bother about defending my blinds, but just would feel lucky to see the flop..
Defending ur BB is not at all important until higher levels of game, where it becomes very important as it effects ur stack size. One should master the skill of defending the BB at such high levels...Once again it comes by experience...

F

FireMedic815

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally if it's my BB and I have shrapnel, I fold if there has been any raise. I only start to defend if I'm holding hands that I would at least call with in EP.

I do see a lot of players who will defend their BB, it seems to be a matter of principal with them, even against steep raises. In most cases they either fold pretty quickly post-flop or, if it comes to a showdown, they show rubbish.

I find this hard to understand as it makes no sense financially or table image wise.

What do you think, always defend or only with cards?
this is a very dynamic specific question.
If I have a player that is constantly raising my bb I will start to defend with 3 bets with a wide range. he is going to fold a lot of his steal attempts and the times he 4 bets or calls you can still get away.

If I have a tight player that raises my bb and I am getting the right odds of 15:1 I am defending by calling with all pocket pairs and only 3 betting the top of my range, to try and set mine as these tight players are very easy to play against post flop. you also might want to call with suited connectors that are not easily dominated against these players and try to smash a flop. For example if you know a guy in early pos. is only opening JJ+ and AK and he min raises your bb, it is very profitable to call with pocket pairs and suited connectors if you are deep enough. it is only one more bb and you will get paid the times you hit, and it is easy to fold the times you don't.

If your laggy player is sticky and doesn't fold to your 3 bets even when you know he is stealing light then I would adjust by tightening my 3 betting range and just fold to most of his steals.

Like I said player dependent and of course this is just how I would adjust. I know there is no one way to play a certain hand. I hope my input helps out.

Last edited: