Counting Outs

I

IndependentRider

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Poker newbie here. When counting outs and you have four spades in your hand by the flop/turn do you always count it as nine outs to the flush? If I was in a nine player game and seven players mucked their hands, leaving me heads up, would it be better to assume that one or two spades are in the mucked cards and therefore count it as 7 or 8 outs instead?

I'm thinking that if five players have mucked their cards then I should subtract one out from the flush draw and if six or more players have mucked then I subtract two!

Is there a reason why this isn't a good idea?

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Regardless of how many players muck their hand, you are always in a position where you could have 9 possible outs to make a flush, if you have a 4 card draw to a flush, unfortunately the effective word is POSSIBLE! You probably have less because players have mucked some Spades or Some could even be drawing to a similar Flush. But all you have to go on is what cards you see.
There is no way of knowing what cards have been mucked or how many players are holding hands with Spades in them, or even if the dealer has burned any before the Flop and Turn. So it is advisable to play cautiously whenever you are on a Draw to any hand.
Counting all possible outs is an important factor when deciding to call or fold, but when you are on a draw, nothing is Guaranteed. Even if you make your Flush you opponent could have made a Straight Flush, with an Inferior starting hand.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you must use accepted strategy with multiplication for 2or 4 and odds for flash