AL
Chips
I have 55 against KQ.
There is €13 in the pot.
Only 2 players.
I have €17. My opponent has €40.
Flop comes 3 10 J.
No flush draws.
My opponent goes all in. I put him on AK or KQ.
I decided to call.
A K comes on turn. River no help.
Did I play correctly?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure what the blinds are, but generally calling off your whole stack with low pair is not a great play.

If your read is correct he has an open ender with 2 overs against your pair of 5s.

If your read is wrong then they either have air or you are completely crushed. When you have a low pair the amount of hands that have you crushed is a lot.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You used your conviction, you played right. A failed attempt is worth more than abdication.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I have 55 against KQ.
There is €13 in the pot.
Only 2 players.
I have €17. My opponent has €40.
Flop comes 3 10 J.
No flush draws.
My opponent goes all in. I put him on AK or KQ.
I decided to call.
A K comes on turn. River no help.
Did I play correctly?
For me you played badly.
First, if your opponent went all-in on you, you can't necessarily put his range on AK or KQ.
I estimate that it must be at a cash table, you can describe it to me later if you want.
But even if it was in a tournament, let's say you played only by luck.
Within that flop your opponent could have had J9 J10 JJ 1010 A10 AJ KJ K10 33 QJ AA KK QQ as certain hands to put pressure on you. And with AK KQ Q9 bluff hands you could put some 99 88 and even some 89s type draw with some color gashout at 2 streets.
I think that on that flop on your 55 that you didn't even hit the set, it was a very easy fold. For me there are many more playing hands than bluffing hands.
Even so, since you placed the villain in KQ and AK, notice that the one in the next two streets has as outs:
KQ-9999AAAAQQQKKK Add to this that if a J lands on the flop, the 101010 is added and he beats you with a high card. In other words, the flop has 14 outs out of 47 cards, it is a very good percentage to go all in.

AK - QQQQAAAKKK has 10 outs on the flop which is also a very good percentage to go all in

But in the event that it was a tournament, if he loses he still has 23 BB left to continue playing with respect to your stack.

For me, post flop it was a clear fold.
And preflop, if Villain reraised you preflop, it was also an easy fold.

You have to keep in mind that a hand of that type will 1 out of every 8 times achieve the set without thinking that the villain can obtain a bigger play such as a straight for example.

Nor is a set of 555 a monster hand, many times in the same hands that you hit low sets, the villain hits a bigger set.

If you had a very large stack and you want to pay 55 to see if you hit the set on the flop, it seems great to me, but in that hand I think, at least for me, it is a clear fold.

Greetings

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I would'nt have gone all in with a small pair? too much risk

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think that was a nice call, bad luck that he hits.

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,
if you keep playing poker waiting a good luck you gonna lose lot of money in this game

you put your opponent on AK or KQ you get a good Read and the flop was 3 10 J.

1- with small pair you should be carefull, your first move to see the flop it was correct
2- its small pair and with your Good Read when you see the flop they was many outs to defeat you aganist 2 Outs for you (Two 5)
3- when your opponent goes all in you should fold thinking that he hit someting better than you
4-You see him on AK or KQ. but he maybe got 33, JJ, TT, so if you dont hit your set on the flop believe me its better to fold after an all in and save your Chips.

Its always difficult to play a small pair

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This answer is going to have to be a bit of "do as I say and not as I do".

Bottom line: If you put a read on your villain as KQo, and you are holding 55 then you should fold to a shove by the villain.

With 55, you are not rated as favourite against that opponent and this board in a heads up position.
Over the long run, this play is not profitable.

However, if you put your villain on AKo, the story is quite different with this board:

I do not think AK would be shoving in this position in the first place...so I think your gut feel of AK, KQ doesn't make sense.

If you REALLY put him on AK, then a call is fine. 60/40 is profitable. But at the same time, you might not want to make too many hero calls if you want to have some cabfare at the end of the session.

Not really much more to say than that. Whenever you are making plays with expected win rate < 50%, you are on a losting strategy.
Sure it might work here and there, but over the long run, you MUST start making decisions that give you better than 50% odds.
When you're putting ALL your chips in, these percentages should be significantly higher.

If you call a shove 5 times with only 50% chance of winning the hand heads up,...well...you're unlikely to ever get to call it five times because you're goping to be out before you get to the 5th time.

Now a more interesting question is How did you pput villain on AKo/KQo? That is a very polarised range and the shove makes sense for one hand (KQ) but not for the other (AK). What information led you to this conclusion?

If I saw someone shove in this spot, my first thought would be They have top pair with a strong kicker...they have two pair (JT), or any set.
I'm not sure why you'd assume someone would shove a $40 stack on a draw (even though that's what they did).

Cheers,
JT

PS In a freeroll / low stakes game, I might call this...but generally, even I would probably fold here...and I'm a call station.

Last edited:
laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
The deck is too bad to optimize the opponent's command, if I have a problem I will quit.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that estimating the player's range in only 2 hands is not right. There are many combos you could have. In this case you were right, but you still didn't have enough equity. At best it was almost a flip.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you must fold and play another hand

sibkaz

sibkaz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
You both risked, but 10 outs and the stack is bigger he risked ...just lucky) If you had a bigger stack, he would have played more carefully).