A

ArcaneHuman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Hi all,
I (somewhat) recently stared implementing continuation betting into my overall strategy. When I cbet on a missed flop i often find myself thinking... "how expensive is this play going to get?" I'll c-bet an average amount on the flop (so now the pot is a reasonable size when my opponent calls) and then some turn card always shows up and that doesn't improve my hand at all and then i'm like "now what"? Double barrel? Obviousy I can't do that every time for a few reasons. But anyway... now by the turn the pot is increasingly growing larger which makes the river even more expensive especially if either me or opponent bet into the turn. So what's the deal? I've read that people generally fold to a cbet like... 50 % of the time and that generally people will miss the flop 2 out of 3 times... which is why c-betting is such a recommended move. Often i choose to just check the turn when I miss. I'm sure position matters with a move like that, but i'll check IP and OOP all depending. I don't know if that's just accurately telegraphing weakness in this case or what....
I generally play with stacks that are 100x the BB.
Any words to the wise?

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I like the C bet but it can cost u

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to C-bet but not always otherwise it's not profitable. It depends on position and stacks of course.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I will use continuation bet only against one opponent that I have seen folding on the flop before.If I have seen the opponent calling before I just continuation bet if I have the best hand.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Try mixing up your C bets, with a delayed c bet on the turn instead. If they bet turn, give up unless you have improved.

Still C bet all decent draws, especially with a back door draw too.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why would you cbet?

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I don’t think (just my opinion) a C-bet should be thought of as automatic. If you C-bet 100% you become very exploitable. I tend to base my C-bet on the type of flop and can I get my opponent to fold here. Knowing your opponent is important. Good luck!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
C-betting the flop is an important part of an overall winning poker strategy. But its also important to know when not to C-bet the flop and to not end up taking to many "one-and-done" stabs, since this can make you quite predictable and easy to play against. So if you find yourself in that kind of situation, where your flop bets always get called, and then you always end up giving up on the turn, than try to mix things up a bit. Check the flop back sometimes, and find some more spots to dubble or tripple barrel.

The general rule for turn C-betting is, that we want to do it, when we picked up equity or had a good draw the whole time. So if you find yourself with total air on to many turns, then you probably need to C-bet the flop less. If you have a hand like As5s on QhJd7h you really have nothing going on, and your opponent has a lot of hands, that can continue. So typically you should not be C-betting, and you should also be giving up facing future aggression, unless you spike a top pair or something.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
And don't forget to punish an identified unbalanced flop floater if HU by checking a strong hand on the turn (or bluff them with a barrel).

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I indicate that you study the 50bb ranges and enter the tournament at this stage, deep stack games, decision-making will be more complicated and you will have to study a lot to be able to be clear in decision-making.
Regarding the cebet, it will be a more profitable tool that you carry in your collection, but I advise you to study ranges and how they behave, flop textures and range advantage so that your cebets are profitable.
Tip 1 vs the bigblind when he defends always bet 33% that your cebet will be profitable in the medium and long term.
Regarding the turn bet when we play against better players, your arsenal must be broader because good players know that we are going to cebet and we must have a cebet very often so we can use other turn lines against these players.
Tip 2 When in doubt to barrel the turn, check the board and see if the turn card changes the board regarding building the villain's calling range.

GTO wizard will instruct you better with these difficulties and doubts that you have in these situations, I think we have some free hands every day, just choose the spot and train.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars