Contest! Win a session with me and a copy of my book, The Mental Game of Poker.

J

Jared Tendler

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've listened to this a couple of times now, mostly ignoring what I said but paying more attention to what you said, Jared, and I'm picking up more because I can just focus on what you're saying.

A question comes up; What do you think about confidence and emotion? Does confidence have an emotional component? Or is the development of confidence and the maintaining of confidence totally devoid of emotion?

Great to hear - that's typically the case. Kind of a like a movie where you pick up more and more subtle details the more you watch it.

Your question is a great one, and very important. There's a lot of confusion and misinformation out there about confidence and emotion.

Confidence is an emotion. No different than anger, anxiety, or motivation (yes that's an emotion too). It's impossible to be devoid of emotion. It may feel like there are times where you're more aware or connected to your emotions than others, as well as times when in the zone, where you seem to transcend emotion and even thought. However, emotion is still there.

Trying to correct problems in confidence by shutting off emotion is important while playing (Injecting Logic), but the goal has to be to correct the flaws creating those problems, so your confidence becomes more stable and a purer emotion in a sense. So, the goal is just to remove the flaws within your confidence that causes it to rise too high or too low. Confidence that is more stable has greater intensity/concentration has a feeling that can be harder to explain because you don't see the extremes that are more obvious to describe. But, it is an emotion for sure.

Does that make sense? If anything is fuzzy let me know.

Top 10 Games