Consistency

JedKim

JedKim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I have been in alot of hands where I get a draw but miss at the end. How often do I continue the story vs fold t be "consistent"?

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say as long as the pot odds/implied odds justify the call, you should continue as it would mean it's a possitive EV play, and in the long run would mean profit.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Consistency is making positive decisions. But for this you need to analyze your play and the play of your opponents. After all, how else to know that the decisions we make are of high quality only by working on ourselves.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One option is to play the draw aggressively (where possible) so that you can continue betting the river with a busted draw and still be consistently representing something on most boards.

But I agree: If you've been mainly calling after the flop, and suddenly bet when all draws have missed, you'll get looked up a lot more so it can be better to just give up in those spots.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When considering a river bluff you really need to look at the whole situation including opponent type. If you are playing against someone, who will take any pair to showdown, then bluffing that person is a great way to light money on fire. You also need to consider, if your busted draw has showdown value. Ace high might be the best hand, if your opponent was also drawing and missed. 5 high on the other hand will never win at showdown, so its a better candidate for bluffing.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is such a dispersion, it can punish for a long time)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I have been in alot of hands where I get a draw but miss at the end. How often do I continue the story vs fold t be "consistent"?

Thank U 4 Posting

Your question makes me think you could be served well by working on board texture strategies before moving on to GTO frequency bluffing.

Recognizing which boards we attack with a draw will lead you to understanding when river bluffs will be most effective based on runouts and player tendencies.

Bluffing is always about a story we tell our Villains on each street- so if we think we may bluff a river we need to set that bluff up before the river. The way we do that is to understand how our range- that includes value hands and draws-would play each street and play our draw in that way. We then can have a balanced frequency of value and bluffs on the river

Hope this helps
:):)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alot already said is very true. If the price is right we can easily follow our draws to the river - if the price is too much, we may end up folding on the flop so alot factors into our decisions.

Keeping it simple - my strategy when I am roughly 40bb+ deep I tend to try and check/call to try and realize my equity in most situations as long as my opponent isn't betting too crazy (2/3 pot+).

If I am 30bb deep or less - I tend to play draws very aggressively. Often check-raising the flop and jamming most turn cards if i didn't check-jam the flop. This allows me to apply maximum fold equity while giving me maximum realization on my draw because I am guaranteed to see both cards when I am all in if I am called. Keep in mind I am generally only doing this with flush draws and open ended straight draws on boards that don't give me reverse implied odds. Basically saying i don't like to check jam boards where it is very unlikely i wont get folds and need to hit my draw nearly all of the time to win the pot.

For example - Its tough to jam 76s into a board of JTK with two spades and get that jam through because a large portion of most PFR ranges are going to contain broadway cards that either smash this board or at least catch enough to not be folding much. So we lose alot of our fold equity implications on certain flops and should avoid the aggressive line in this instance.

I would be more apt to shove 76s on a K39 flop with two spades - this forces our villan to have a better flush draw and strong Kx or better to call us off in most cases unless we are so shallow we just don't have much fold equity, or our villan is a little wider with their call offs.

I hope you find this helpful and useful in some manner.

M

maxmaster10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u have a good decitions you can be consistency

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to play draws is to semi bluff if you can. That way there's two ways you can win villain folds or you hit your draw. It also sets you up keep the bluff going on the river. Just know that if villain is showing a lot of strength he's prolly not gonna fold so if you don't have good implied odds then you should fold.

It's much easier to do this when you have position, which is why you shouldn't be playing weak suited connectors in early position.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The strength of the draw matters.
Check/call strong draws, you have hand equity and if you hit the nuts, your equity will be disguised.
Tend to bet out weak draws using your fold equity to try and take the pot.