Comprehensive Poker Rules

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has anyone got a link to a comprehensive poker rules set for Texas hold 'em.
Particularly including 2 obscure rules I keep having to explain to people.
1. You have the right to see any hand still in play when the hand end. i.e. If there are 3 players left in the hand at the end any player who was originally dealt in can ask to see all three hands. (Even if a player wants to muck)
2. If you are last to act on the river and you have the nuts you must bet or raise.
Thanks.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Returning directors
PDF

as for 1.
I dont think your are right, you may always muck your hand, however under the suspeckt of collusion you may ask the dealer for a check.

(If you're in the hand at showdown, you can muck your hand if you don't want to show it but technically you are suppose to show it and other players at the table can ask the dealer to show your cards. It's not common but it happens.)

(A player is never entitled to see another player's hand unless he has paid for the privilege by calling all bets. If a player folds before the betting is complete, he may certainly ask to see a hand, but that player may simply refuse.)

as for 2. you should be right on that one, ( you may not soft play )

Last edited:
Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has anyone got a link to a comprehensive poker rules set for Texas hold 'em.
Particularly including 2 obscure rules I keep having to explain to people.
1. You have the right to see any hand still in play when the hand end. i.e. If there are 3 players left in the hand at the end any player who was originally dealt in can ask to see all three hands. (Even if a player wants to muck)
2. If you are last to act on the river and you have the nuts you must bet or raise.
Thanks.
For #1 see https://www.pokertda.com/view-poker-tda-rules/ see #18
For #2 see #71b

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

This link: I Want To See That Hand discusses the obscure, anti-collusion rule and the debate around it.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think in online poker you won't be able to ask to show a hand and they won't even show you it. Maybe it's used in live poker but I'm not sure it works always and everywhere

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Returning directors
PDF

as for 1.
I dont think your are right, you may always muck your hand, however under the suspeckt of collusion you may ask the dealer for a check.

(If you're in the hand at showdown, you can muck your hand if you don't want to show it but technically you are suppose to show it and other players at the table can ask the dealer to show your cards. It's not common but it happens.)

(A player is never entitled to see another player's hand unless he has paid for the privilege by calling all bets. If a player folds before the betting is complete, he may certainly ask to see a hand, but that player may simply refuse.)

as for 2. you should be right on that one, ( you may not soft play )
Thank you for the PDF link, I was beginning to worry such a thing didn't exist online.

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure, I'd be happy to provide you with a link to a comprehensive set of rules for Texas hold 'em, as well as explain the two obscure rules you mentioned.

Firstly, regarding the rule that you have the right to see any hand still in play when the hand ends: This is a standard rule in most poker games, including Texas hold 'em. It is in place to ensure fairness and transparency in the game, as well as to prevent cheating. Essentially, it means that if there are three players left in a hand at the end, any player who was originally dealt in can ask to see all three hands, even if one of the players wants to muck (fold) their hand. This allows other players to verify the integrity of the game and ensure that the correct hand wins.

The second rule you mentioned, "If you are last to act on the river and you have the nuts, you must bet or raise," is also a standard rule in most poker games. The "nuts" refers to the best possible hand at a given point in the game. In Texas hold 'em, this would be the highest possible five-card hand using any combination of your two hole cards and the five community cards.

When you have the nuts, you must bet or raise because it's the only way to protect your hand and maximize your potential winnings. If you check, you are giving the other players the opportunity to potentially outdraw you and take the pot. By betting or raising, you are putting pressure on your opponents and forcing them to make difficult decisions, which can increase your chances of winning the hand.

Here is a link to the official rules of Texas Hold'em: https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/texas-holdem-rules.htm

It has all the information you need to know and also gives you a detailed explanation of every rule and regulation, including the two obscure rules you have mentioned.

Poker Rules - Poker Games