Commonly Used Poker Abbreviations and Terms

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
double barreling( I see this and think I know but not totally sure)
floating a bet (same as above)

Double barreling is betting on two consecutive rounds, ie. betting the flop and then betting the turn.

Floating a bet is calling a bet to see what your opponent does on the next round. Usually done when an a opponent is going to make a standard continuation bet on the flop nearly all the time but won't double barrel without actually having a hand on the turn. If they give up betting on the turn then you steal the pot away when they check to you.

M

Mystroman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I knew most of these but thanks for the fairly complete list it seems.
I was thinking I should ask but felt dumb (which is probably true anyway) but now I know what others have said in their posts.

bulldog2782

bulldog2782

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
could someone plz explain 4betting and 3betting. i hear everyone saying it but do not know what it means.

bulldog2782

bulldog2782

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So if someone says there are going to 4bet them then it means betting 4times the bb?

RJB-7

RJB-7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-Betting means re-raising the first raiser

4-betting means re-re-raising e.g. you raise, villain re-raises(3-bets) then you re-re-raise that is 4-betting

ICU2QTPY

ICU2QTPY

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
One spot to the right to the cut-off could also be referred to as the "sniper" as he/she could likely "stomp" the cut-off is he/she feels that they could possibly have better cards.

I

IvaiLamDimidov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow these abbreviations helped a lot, thanks. I also heard pocket queens called "A San Francisco Wedding".

X

Xyphon

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha,

NH = Thanks for Donkin all my chips...

Priceless! Thanks for the laugh. Good post on all the lingo.

nomasburros

nomasburros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
awesome...now its all making a lot more sense....i was struggling there to figure out some of the terminology...and it was making it sorta difficult to understand..ty

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
o_O ty for the guide i didnt kno all these hand had names wow i only kno the main ones lolz

O

oneleggedman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i've noticed in a few posts ppl use the term "railing" in regards to online poker. what excatly does this mean? playing 4 tables a once?

hipshot55

hipshot55

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i've noticed in a few posts ppl use the term "railing" in regards to online poker. what excatly does this mean? playing 4 tables a once?

Railing is observing other people playing. CCers frequently "rail" other CCers play to provide encouragement, support, etc. Comes from live tournament play where family, friends, etc. are seated "behind the rail" to observe play.

This is why you see so many comments in the chat boxes from people not actually at the tables. This also, unfortunately, allows flamers, juveniles, and other species of ***holes to observe and make idiot comments.

A hint when playing on Full Tilt is that you can right click on an observer in the chat box and put them on "Ignore" if they are affecting your play.

N

Nadi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great list.. I had a general idea of what these meant but thanks for clearing some of them up. The Less Common ones made me laugh :) They are sooo true! :D

J

jumping jack flash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi what is 3 betting light? (i know that 3 betting is raising in limit or something similar) but 3 betting light?

MANBAT

MANBAT

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 bet = bet, raise, re-raise.
light = weak cards.
3 betting light = re-raising with weak cards.

p.s. 'FTW' can also mean 'F*** the world'

Last edited:
J

jumping jack flash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cheers pal ,i kinda knew but had to be sure ,thanks

T

T3tsuo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I am reading ChuckTs's micro stakes full ring guide. In the section about stats, what are ATS, FFB and FTS?

I am guessing that ATS stands for "Attempts To Steal", but what are the two others?

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh alright, I was wondering after I said that. Fold to threebet is a stat, fold to cbet, so fold to flop bet differentiates from just cbets.