Coaching

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apparently the majority agrees to have a coach.
Now another question would be:
Could be an online coach??
Since in my city is not very popular the game

I would be in the minority of that opinion.

Unless you have a ton of money, are you really going to find a good coach?

Coaching takes a lot of time and effort. If I was a sucessful professional, why would I take a few hundred dollars (or even thousand) from you when I could make 10x that by just playing poker without the aggravation? I don't know what you are going to learn from a medioce coach that you can't learn yourself by just putting in the hands and reading a few books.

I never had a coach and I am a +ROI player. Of course that was after years and losing a lot of money. I taught my son to play in about 2 weeks, tried to teach him everything I can about poker. While he is very effective and is most likely in the top 30% of the field, we still have very different games and he doesn't have a +ROI. We go over hands and situations daily where I wonder why did you do that? Simply, its because we didn't cover that. My point is that just because you are learning from a "coach" who may have been a winning player at one point (most likely not now), it still isn't a "magic" formula and there is a lot of work ahead.

No shortcuts....

Save your money, read some books, watch some twitch, and most importantly, play lots of hands. If you put in the work, you will get where you want to be.

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friend there are several books already and it is advisable to read to get better as the experience of others can be very helpful.

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be in the minority of that opinion.

Unless you have a ton of money, are you really going to find a good coach?

Coaching takes a lot of time and effort. If I was a sucessful professional, why would I take a few hundred dollars (or even thousand) from you when I could make 10x that by just playing poker without the aggravation? I don't know what you are going to learn from a medioce coach that you can't learn yourself by just putting in the hands and reading a few books.

I never had a coach and I am a +ROI player. Of course that was after years and losing a lot of money. I taught my son to play in about 2 weeks, tried to teach him everything I can about poker. While he is very effective and is most likely in the top 30% of the field, we still have very different games and he doesn't have a +ROI. We go over hands and situations daily where I wonder why did you do that? Simply, its because we didn't cover that. My point is that just because you are learning from a "coach" who may have been a winning player at one point (most likely not now), it still isn't a "magic" formula and there is a lot of work ahead.

No shortcuts....

Save your money, read some books, watch some twitch, and most importantly, play lots of hands. If you put in the work, you will get where you want to be.

You are very right but as the companion says above there are many terms that are not easy to understand for a beginner, But you are also right, the experience is what doing to the player.

I would not really pay for a coach, But so many poor results make me meditate, Equally, i just play online, and it is known that it is plagued with insolits hands.

I had the opportunity to play live and I did quite well in the tournaments, unfortunately for differences with the government on duty they stopped doing in my city.
I appreciate your opinion

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not really pay for a coach, But so many poor results make me meditate, Equally, i just play online, and it is known that it is plagued with insolits hands.

Your not going to find a "coach" without investing money. As I posted above, its not just the coaching people need, its the hands. Without the hands, the best coach in the world will only turn you into an average player. I would suggest:

1. Find a friend and learn together.

2. If you have the money, invest in a HUD and leak finder software.

3. Read, read, read.

4. Thinking you are "good" is the worst position you could put yourself in. You need to constantly be looking for things to add to your game. There are a ton of players that were the best at that point and time, but as poker evolved, they didn't, only to find that they are no longer effective or competitive. Keep learning.