Chasing a flush

A

adueno81

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At what point do you decide to chase a flush?
Would you still chase a flush if your opponent pushes you all in?

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 - After the flop, calculate the number of outs in the deck: Using our example from step 1, we will have 9 outs
2 - Just multiply the number of cards that can help you by 4 and you will know the percentage of chances of receiving a card and being a winner on the turn or river. 9 x 4 = 36%
3 - After the turn, multiply the number of outs by 2 to know the chance of winning on the river. Although this method is not super accurate, it does provide a very clear guide when calculating the odds of online poker. Of course, purists will still want to do mental gymnastics to get the exact percentage number, but for the rest of us mere poker mortals, rule 4 and 2 is more than enough to give reasonable percentages.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with spectralwave and they saved me some time typing a similar response to the pot odds and equity of outs to the Flush etc. deciding if I should continue. Generally, I won't chase the Flush. Obviously, getting a good price, then sure :)

I'm also slightly more willing to gamble against players I perceive as better players then me. The luck/probability impacts everyone the same, so I don't mind flipping with better players and not chasing Flushes against players I perceive as about my ability or worse. I can outplay fish later, but if I'm playing some Phil Ivey or Tom Dwan...I'm happy to chase if I'm getting a price :cool:

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 - After the flop, calculate the number of outs in the deck: Using our example from step 1, we will have 9 outs
2 - Just multiply the number of cards that can help you by 4 and you will know the percentage of chances of receiving a card and being a winner on the turn or river. 9 x 4 = 36%
3 - After the turn, multiply the number of outs by 2 to know the chance of winning on the river. Although this method is not super accurate, it does provide a very clear guide when calculating the odds of online poker. Of course, purists will still want to do mental gymnastics to get the exact percentage number, but for the rest of us mere poker mortals, rule 4 and 2 is more than enough to give reasonable percentages.
You did good with explaining how to calculate odds. Not so good explaining what for.
After you calculate your odds you must calculate pot odds.
There should be enough of a pot to justify a call with 34% hand on the flop, or 17% hand on the turn.
Adueno81 i recommend you check CC 30 day course to get beter at poker. They explain pot odds very good and clear there. And a ton of other stuff they explain.
So hop in
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/
;)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only in knockout tournaments, exceptions in the case when the issue price is 25% or less than my stack. I don't play for cash to comment on this situation.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on the situation. There are many factors to consider, so there is no single and correct answer.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well in that situation I just skip my chips if I have twice the villain's chips because I believe it was not worth it I risk it by luck

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually chase till my opponent raises a big amount on me. I usually don't continue if someone goes all in against me but i have done it a few times.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At what point do you decide to chase a flush?
Ww should not "chase" flushes because we think they are pretty. We should only seek a flush when the maths are correct OR we believe that we can remove the opponent from the hand when we do not hit our flush.
Would you still chase a flush if your opponent pushes you all in?
Again, depends on math including chip stacks. In tournament we also need to add in ICM considerations if we are near the bubble or near the final table.

Full Flush Poker