Can't win after years of trying to learn

J

JordieChloe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Figure Out

Figure out what game you like the most, get good at it. No jack of all games, master of none. Cash? SNG? MTT? PLO? Etc.? Pick one and get good at it. If you make the right decisions, the chips will come.

M

Makoto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need more

You need a few more years lol

H

have

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
o well

I know the feeling just keep grinding
:D

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure what my next step should be?, probably sounds a rare case with all my research ! :(

Reinventing yourself in poker can be a huge step - but the first good thing is that
you realize that you need to make a change to improve your ROI.

I do not know your gamestyle, but somewhere along the way you must be leaking
chips, and that leak must be put to an end ;)
Are you too loose, or too nitty - do you thrive better at turbos and hyper turbos or
maybe your better with long blind levels.
Do you play way to much out of position or do you play to scared because your bankroll
is always close to going bust.
Maybe you have a great playstyle but are trying to change it because you get smashed
with it way to often. Maybe you should be consistant and true to your gut feeling

You need to find out abuot your own weaknesses before you can work on them.

I you havent, then try it watching some stuff at Gripsed poker training on youtube.
Theres a ton of great stuff, and maybe youll pick up on something that will change
your game forever :)

Good luck out there :cool:

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should consider that the game changes after a few years and only those who adapt or are at the forefront of the changes will be profitable and winners in the long run. Unfortunately the highstakes are for the few who have struggled and learned above the majority. a parallel with world wealth only 1 percent of the planet concentrates 99 percent of the income with all its stewardship that money can afford. To become someone within that 1 percent requires years of good practice and some genius that is not achieved from one hour to another

Destruct51

Destruct51

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play Style

Make sure you find a program that works for you and stick to it. Try not to put yourself in too many situations where you are chasing turns and rivers. Play the flop and don't let peepz catch their cards. We are tempted to let players catch hands, because we want them to chip in. But as many hands as we see online, you need to play big hands frequently. Then know when to change gears, in mtt its a must need. Know when your hot and not. GL!!!:bike:

J

jlundy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have experienced similar issues, only able to win at low stakes on fishy sites like bodog. Other players leaks were bigger than mine, thats the only reason I could win.

Here are some tips.

Play freerolls only. Consider it a learning period and build your bankroll.

Rebuild your way of thinking from the ground up
  1. Think from ideal showdowns and WORK BACKWARDS, so you see how other people set you up.
  2. Then do the same for how you want others to fold when you are in certain position with certain hands.
  3. Your FIRST IMPRESSION of a hand and the circumstances contains all your past experience, read into it, rely on it as one of your fundamentals.
  4. Get really really nitty. I don't mean that in a way of playing tight, but think nitty. All the little things need to be at the forefront of your mind. N I T T Y!!! YOU BE N I T T Y!!
  5. lastly, are you REMISS? are you forgetting or being negligent? I like to say these key words to remind myself.
Have a nice day!

Last edited:
eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well, if you are playing against 1000 people, the average win rate would be 1 win for every 1000 tournaments played.

G

GradyTwins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ripper, I'm going to give you some fairly specific advice for reinventing your game a bit preflop:

1. Start with the Chen formula. Choose a "golden number" that you feel is generally good enough to raise with from any position. I think for micro MTT's, 8 should be a good starting point at 9 players. Never limp the SB with less than a 6. If you are not used to the Chen formula at all, just play like you always do, and when your hand is dead, pracice calculating the Chen formula while the rest of the table is playing until it becomes automatic. A lot of the Chen formula becomes very obvious after a while -- like A-rag suited is always a "7," etc. The point of using the Chen formula here is to expand your range into reasonable holdings that you might not otherwise play. As the table diminishes, lower your "Chen number" as you decide. Experiment! When you raise with a hand like 76s and get bet into when the flop hits you because everyone thinks you are playing broadway, it's a wonderful feeling to get paid off, and you will quickly develop a "dangerous" image. At 4 players, a "7" should be good enough.

2. Use a hud (I prefer Jivaro), and after ten hands, subtract "quarter points" for limpers with low to medium VPIP, and ignore limpers with high VPIP. Add a quarter point for the cuttoff, and a half point for the button. Before the 10 hands, subtract a quarter point for every limper ahead of you. After you get some stats on PFR%, start subtracting for different raisers different amounts. For instance, a player with a VPIP of 70% with a PFR of 35% after 20+ hands, I wouldn't subtract anything from my holding. But I would subtract at least one point for a lower PFR%, and I would toss the Chen formula aside completely when facing a big raise from a nit, look down at my cards, and ask myself: "are these two aces, two kings, or two queens?" You get the picture.

3. Continue working out your own formula, assigning additions or subtractions quarter/half/full points according to what your hud tells you about the other players in the hand, and lowering your magic number as the table di9minishes. The main thing is that you begin to develop a really great sense of how to play speculative hands strongly -- THAT is what wins micro MTT's and Sit 'n Gos in NL Hold'em.

4. Stop limping too much, if that's what you're doing. This is one of the great things about using a HUD. When a nit limps 5-handed, and you look down at a Chen-7, it's okay to limp behind. But if you're in the cutoff with a Chen-7 with nothing but loose limpers ahead of you, or no one at all, you need to raise, period. This needs to stop even being a question in your mind -- it shouldn't even be a decision.

Post flop is a whole other ballgame -- and that's how you treat it! If you are considering preflop action post-flop without a really good reason, it's a mistake. If you raise and get called by a nit, and the flop hits you, play the flop the same way you would against anyone. Stay consistent -- don't let another player's image override your own. Even when you fold -- fold with conviction. Like, "Nope. Wrong guy, dude! Cya!" If he shows you a bluff, just have the attitude that you know who's coming out ahead of that deal in the long-run.

Honestly, the #1 thing you can do to improve your game is to improve your image, and that comes from being strong and consistent in your post-flop play, but consistently unpredictable with WHAT TWO CARDS you are playing with, and using the Chen formula to decide which hands to play is a pretty decent way to really mix that up.

Anyways, good luck, and I hope you'll at least give it a try.

Oh, I forgot -- one more thing: remember that unless you are playing orange/red zoned, or with a monster from early position, your raises should be strictly for value, and around 2.5x every time. Also, stay young at heart! You sound like you might be older like me (I'm 48 with medical issues and the whole shabang) -- I could be wrong. But if you are, do like I do and stay "with it" daddy-o! Hehe, Seriously -- keep a young attitude.

Last edited:
N

Newstyle_1704

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If after years of self-study of the game of poker you could not achieve success, do not you think that it is worth thinking about the help from the more successful people, who will explain to you all the subtleties and tricks of the game and teach you how to earn

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Your like most of the people out there. Poker is really meant to split it up the winnings so every dog has its day. Everyone should be able to cash out and go nuts. This comes at a cost the rake so its hard to win.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think you need to restore self confidence. Try playing freerolls only. In a month or two, you can try to play micro-limits in the MTT tournaments. And so, step by step, you can feel your potential again.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To win there is no ready-made answer as the game is vast because winning poker in the long run is synonymous with mathematical expectation. It means making the right calls when you are in front of your opponent, and sleeping about your hands when you are behind. Making these good decisions will never guarantee you a victory, but you theoretically guarantee to be a winner in the long run.

G

GradyTwins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason I think my advice was good is that this is a way to get out of a rut, if nothing else, by training yourself to approach the game in a fresh way, with fresh eyes. It's easy to forget that with a game like poker you should constantly be trying to learn. This is a way of forcing yourself to learn, and to sort of get yourself back into a sort of "student" mindset.

Unless, of course, he's already done this sort of thing.

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi.
I think you need to restore self confidence. Try playing freerolls only. In a month or two, you can try to play micro-limits in the MTT tournaments. And so, step by step, you can feel your potential again.

i don't thinks freerolls are the best idea. there they are even more luck based. so that could do more damage than help. I play them for fun only
I would suggest focus on the fun part of the game.

G

Gameplayraja

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Really depends on how much you have lost and invested. look at those numbers and figure out your profit and if you are in profit then losing doesn't really matter.

100 x 100$ tournaments with a guaranteed 10,000$ first place, <-- you break even if you win 1st place ONCE out of 100 times. always look for the best value for your coin.

K

kamciono5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just don't have luck.... I know you expect some 'smart' answer but this is what it it. Winners in MTT are just luckers nothing more...

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that a lot of the time other players treat miro stakes a lot like a freeroll so you get a lot of fish and donks who will call with anything or raise with anything and suck out! If you can try higher stakes where the bye in is $100 $200 or more you will see way less fish and over $200 all most no donks! :bandit:

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After so much effort, play minus ??? Either MTT is not your game format or poker is not yours (although this is very difficult to believe)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You just don't have luck.... I know you expect some 'smart' answer but this is what it it. Winners in MTT are just luckers nothing more...

And I'd just like to add a BIG 'Thank-you'. This is exactly what I like to hear!

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
There is more chance that live poker is rigged - than online.

That's a weird statement you are making there Ripper. If anything, I would say the opposite is true, though poker sites have no interest to host a rigged game since they are making a lot of money no matter who wins or loses. On the other hand, if a live game is rigged, you've got to be really naive (or stupid) enough to play in it.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need some advice, I have played for 10 years, read about 20 books, played millions of hands, was a big poster on an old forum with 1000s of posts and discussions on hands / situations, put in a lot of hard work to try and improve and be a success at tournament poker. I only play micro MTT's as I mainly enjoy them, yet my graph is a continuous downhill slope with the occasional nice win and then down down down.

Name: stejens (pokerstars), if wanting to look.

Not sure what my next step should be?, probably sounds a rare case with all my research ! :(

What types of games are you playing and at what stakes?

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bro i feel your pain. for years i studied alone, read books but nothing has changed. I started to have a real breakthrough in my life when I paid a professional who was already profitable in the area, he showed me the right ways and where I went wrong.

Another thing that I made a lot of mistakes in was playing various styles of games like mtts, cash spin etc. When I started to focus Feathers on one and study it I started to climb. Persist my friend.

M

Mr_RichRich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion the best decision some one can make in all his poker career is hiring a professional coach of at least 15 years of experience .
2nd best decision is study a lot and put effort and time while far from tables .
And that if you want to take poker as life job . Otherwise it's fun game with little side cash .

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need some advice, I have played for 10 years, read about 20 books, played millions of hands, was a big poster on an old forum with 1000s of posts and discussions on hands / situations, put in a lot of hard work to try and improve and be a success at tournament poker. I only play micro MTT's as I mainly enjoy them, yet my graph is a continuous downhill slope with the occasional nice win and then down down down.

Name: stejens (pokerstars), if wanting to look.

you should try cash games
and basically after learning and study poker you should convert them into your own strategy and game style, if you don't use your learning properly they would be useless