BOOKS!

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so, just sent nathan the money at PS, then emailled him, got the book 5 minutes later. thats what I call good service. will print it off now, and read it a few times, and report back.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't print the whole book, rather I would choose sections that you may want to scribble notes on this will save you a lot of paper. Maybe get a 3 ring binder and tab the sections you want to futher study.

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've read a couple poker books, but they have nothing to offer me. Only tell me stuff I already knew when i was a kid. Wanna read a book with something useful, read some patterson. Have an adventure

Off topic, but just have to adress this... If you mean James Patterson, he is at best a hack writer.. I have read a number of his books, and I have to say they are A...B....C plots all the way...That being said, when you have read most other things that are in the genre, he will do.
books I have on this year's Christmas Wish List:

Qtip's book: 'Hole Card Confessions'
(haven't read any reviews about it but skimming through Table Of Contents & hearing there may be a book review thingy happening with it here on CC, I need to get it)

Raiser's Edge - Haven't spoken with anyone who's read it but figure what the hell.. might as well get it. I like reading poker books & am thinking I'll like this one.

Elements Of Poker - this one's been on my list for a couple years now. Can't believe I still haven't read it. (this one should probably be at the top of the list!)

Phil Gordon's Little Gold Book - I've read all of Phil's previous books, some of them a few times over (but not for a few years now). I even purchased 5 copies of the 'Little Green Book' to give out to friends. Not sure if there'll be much value in getting this book but hey... I like Phil so why not (it's also got a fair bit of book devoted to Omaha).

WPT-Vol.3 ... this will have to wait til' after Christmas because it hasn't been released yet. Spoke with one of the authors & was informed it'd be out by ~Dec.1st this year.... so I'm guessing it'll be out soon (& therefore it makes the list).

Just a general comment on these books and this thread... I have an Amazon gift card to use, and have a Kindle.....These all seem like good books, but any thoughts on what book(s) would be best for live tourneys?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm honestly not being a dick but you wont learn anything from that book that you havent been told here and ignored/argued with endlessly.

#justsayin
I don't know about that one ^. Everyone learns a bit differently & often the way books are laid out in a format of A to Z, they can be very helpful/useful regardless of what they've read or learned elsewhere (imo).
so, just sent nathan the money at PS, then emailled him, got the book 5 minutes later. thats what I call good service. will print it off now, and read it a few times, and report back.
Great stuff! Hope you get what you're looking for in it.
Just a general comment on these books and this thread... I have an Amazon gift card to use, and have a Kindle.....These all seem like good books, but any thoughts on what book(s) would be best for live tourneys?
It depends on what you've read up to this point, ie. If you haven't read HarringtonOnHoldem Tournament Play & EndGamePlay, I'd suggest reading them prior to others but probably best to just pick them up from a library... they're outdated for today's tournament game but will provide a good foundation to work from & is probably required reading before reading others like 'Winning Poker Tournaments - One Hand At A Time' Vol.1 & Vol.2.
WPT Vol.1 & Vol.2 would be the best ones to read imo.... although it also depends on what types of live tourneys they are (structure) because alot of low buyin Tournaments are really fast-structured tourneys (simliar to how an online Turbo MTT would be played).

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Of all the recently released poker books, and including those published in the last few years, I think that Decide to Play Great Poker by Annie Duke and John Vorhaus is the definitely the best for live tournament play. Matter of fact, unlike most books these days, this one is geared toward live play. Be prepared to spend a goodly amount of time reading and digesting the material--it's not a book filled with formulas or pat answers, but rather the importance of thinking through and then making the very best decision about every move you make throughout the course of a hand as well as a tourney.

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know about that one ^. Everyone learns a bit differently & often the way books are laid out in a format of A to Z, they can be very helpful/useful regardless of what they've read or learned elsewhere (imo).

Great stuff! Hope you get what you're looking for in it.

It depends on what you've read up to this point, ie. If you haven't read HarringtonOnHoldem Tournament Play & EndGamePlay, I'd suggest reading them prior to others but probably best to just pick them up from a library... they're outdated for today's tournament game but will provide a good foundation to work from & is probably required reading before reading others like 'Winning Poker Tournaments - One Hand At A Time' Vol.1 & Vol.2.
WPT Vol.1 & Vol.2 would be the best ones to read imo.... although it also depends on what types of live tourneys they are (structure) because alot of low buyin Tournaments are really fast-structured tourneys (simliar to how an online Turbo MTT would be played).

Of all the recently released poker books, and including those published in the last few years, I think that Decide to Play Great Poker by Annie Duke and John Vorhaus is the definitely the best for live tournament play. Matter of fact, unlike most books these days, this one is geared toward live play. Be prepared to spend a goodly amount of time reading and digesting the material--it's not a book filled with formulas or pat answers, but rather the importance of thinking through and then making the very best decision about every move you make throughout the course of a hand as well as a tourney.

Much appreciated P.O. and Lark!:)

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
WOW, the stuff here is much appreciated. Once I read some of these hopefully all will see the improvements in my game.
Will be reading WPT I and II, and, Decide to Play Great Poker soon.
Thanks for all the help CC members.

F

fishinthesea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the information : )! I'm reading HCC right now and I'm going to read Elements of Poker too because from what I see written on the forums, it seems to be practically a must.. thanks again

DINGO8MYBABY

DINGO8MYBABY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just ordered it, along with the Bertrand Grospellier book, with the Amazon giftcard I won in the Xmas Shopping tourney at poker stars. I'll report back after I've read the books.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just ordered it, along with the Bertrand Grospellier book, with the Amazon giftcard I won in the Xmas Shopping tourney at Poker Stars. I'll report back after I've read the books.

I got so much reading to do, so dont need any new things ATM. But am interested in Annies book, please do say what you think.

And do you mean Raisers edge? I have it and it is good. The charts tend to be hard for me to follow tho. Please state you thought on this one as well.

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I just ordered it, along with the Bertrand Grospellier book, with the Amazon giftcard I won in the Xmas Shopping tourney at Poker Stars. I'll report back after I've read the books.

Hey good to see, Im not the only using my CC Christmas cash for Poker books. BUt I had to back up a few steps and start filling in my foundation from the ground up. But liking the fact CC is paying the bills at least the first $50 lol

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday I bought 2 ebooks from Amazon that have received great reviews, both co-written by pros who are members here: The Poker Blueprint by Tri Nguyen (slowhabit) and Aaron Davis; and Pro Poker Strategy--the Top Skills by Katie Dozier (hotjenny314) and her husband Collin Moshman.

Btw these books are among those being offered as prizes in the CC Winter League, which is starting next week. There's still time to sign up if anyone is interested! https://www.cardschat.com/f62/cardschat-winter-league-2012-sign-up-204394/

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
List of Christmas Books Received - 2011 Christmas

1. Jonathan Little
Publisher: D&B Publishing; First edition (June 1, 2011)
Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker, Volume 1 (D&B Poker Series) [Paperback]

2. Jonathan Little (Preorderd release - Date: April 17, 2012)
Publisher: D&B Publishing; First edition (November 22, 2011)
Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker, Volume 2: Stages of the Tournament (Poker Series Book & DVD) [Paperback]

3. Bertrand Grospellier
Publisher: Huntington Press (June 27, 2011)
The Raiser's Edge: Tournament-Poker Strategies for Today's Aggressive Game [Paperback]

4. Tri ‘SlowHabit’ Nguyen
Publisher: DailyVariance Publishing, LLC; 1st edition (February 15, 2010)
The Poker Blueprint: Advanced Strategies for Crushing Micro & Small Stakes NL [Paperback]

5. Matt Flynn (Author), Sunny Mehta (Author), Ed Miller (Author)
Publisher: Two Plus Two Publishing LLC; 1 edition (July 20, 2007)
Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I [Paperback]

6. Phil Gordon
Publisher: Gallery Books (October 11, 2011)
Phil Gordon's Little Gold Book: Advanced Lessons for Mastering Poker 2.0 [Hardcover]

Currently reading: Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker, Volume 1 - The Poker Blueprint: Advanced Strategies for Crushing Micro & Small Stakes NL - Phil Gordon's Little Gold Book: Advanced Lessons for Mastering Poker 2.0

DINGO8MYBABY

DINGO8MYBABY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
List of Christmas Books Received - 2011 Christmas

1. Jonathan Little
Publisher: D&B Publishing; First edition (June 1, 2011)
Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker, Volume 1 (D&B Poker Series) [Paperback]

2. Jonathan Little (Preorderd release - Date: April 17, 2012)
Publisher: D&B Publishing; First edition (November 22, 2011)
Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker, Volume 2: Stages of the Tournament (Poker Series Book & DVD) [Paperback]

Please report back and let us know what you think of the Jonathan Little books.