P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Crushing the Microstakes by Nathan Williams

Crushing the Microstakes by Nathan Williams aka BlackRain79, e-book

What can I say about this book except that if a lot of people read this the microstakes are going to become -EV. Frankly if you are starting at the microstakes NLHE and are thinking about getting HEM you have to have this book! It really is that good, focused on strategies with hand examples and reasoning behind plays. Really helps new HU users understand what to look at when sizing up Villains. Not much on math or esoteric thoughts on poker just straight up how to kick ass at microstakes Hold'em. I recommend you don't get this book because you will make my (and microstake crushers) life that much harder.:D

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Crushing the Microstakes by Nathan Williams aka BlackRain79, e-book

What can I say about this book except that if a lot of people read this the microstakes are going to become -EV. Frankly if you are starting at the microstakes NLHE and are thinking about getting HEM you have to have this book! It really is that good, focused on strategies with hand examples and reasoning behind plays. Really helps new HU users understand what to look at when sizing up Villains. Not much on math or esoteric thoughts on poker just straight up how to kick ass at microstakes Hold'em. I recommend you don't get this book because you will make my (and microstake crushers) life that much harder.:D

I am almost done with it and I agree.
I am gonna give my 2 cents in more detail when I am done, but a must have for the HUD using micro player IMO.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am almost done with it and I agree.
I am gonna give my 2 cents in more detail when I am done, but a must have for the HUD using micro player IMO.

Book I bought it too . Very impressed how great he explains it . From setting up your settings on the poker site you play, table selecting, player types and how to play your hands correctly . If i could just lay down hands now that i know i am beat with ughhh :cool: You can buy his book on his Blog http://www.blackrain79.com/2011/11/announcing-release-of-my-book-crushing.html He says he is also offering a Q&A forum there if you buy the E-Book

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book

Little Blue Book by Phil Gordon, Simon & Schuster 2006

I am only half way through this one but it is pretty much the same throughout so I feel safe to write a review.

This book is strictly hand analysis from games he has played. Each hand is 1 to 3 pages setting up the game (cash, tourney, blind structure, environment, etc.) the hand situation with a nice table drawing showing positions, stack sizes, and player types that are involved in his decision process in some way. Then he gives an analysis of his thought process and how the hand plays out along the way. I really like this book, some may not care about reading hand analysis over nearly 400 pages. If you understand basic concepts, basic math and basic poker psychology then this is a great book. I would say that it is not very relevant to micro stakes games, which are much more straight forward in the decision making processes, still some information can be applied to those as well.:)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
books I have on this year's Christmas Wish List:

Qtip's book: 'Hole Card Confessions'
(haven't read any reviews about it but skimming through Table Of Contents & hearing there may be a book review thingy happening with it here on CC, I need to get it)

Raiser's Edge - Haven't spoken with anyone who's read it but figure what the hell.. might as well get it. I like reading poker books & am thinking I'll like this one.

Elements Of Poker - this one's been on my list for a couple years now. Can't believe I still haven't read it. (this one should probably be at the top of the list!)

Phil Gordon's Little Gold Book - I've read all of Phil's previous books, some of them a few times over (but not for a few years now). I even purchased 5 copies of the 'Little Green Book' to give out to friends. Not sure if there'll be much value in getting this book but hey... I like Phil so why not (it's also got a fair bit of book devoted to Omaha).

WPT-Vol.3 ... this will have to wait til' after Christmas because it hasn't been released yet. Spoke with one of the authors & was informed it'd be out by ~Dec.1st this year.... so I'm guessing it'll be out soon (& therefore it makes the list).

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Supersystem is an awesome book! Great insight and strategy from Doyle. I haven't read 2 yet and I'm thinking of starting to read some Dan Harrington books.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't care for DB's NLHE hands, think the game has evolved since then.

H

Humps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a book but there are a tonne of beginner/inter articles here:

http://www.cardplayerpokerschool.com/

Plus there are helpful MCQs after each chunk of material to make sure you understand your stuff.

I've printed off around 200 pages of articles to read over Xmas break.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still Supersystem is a must have, if only for the historical context of the development of the game.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Still Supersystem is a must have, if only for the historical context of the development of the game.

idk.. I'd say its a must borrow from the Library for nostalgic/interest sake... & wouldn't throw it away if someone gave it to me (Unless I could find a buyer for it).

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what about the draw and stud sections?

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW was in B&N today and had 6 books in hand (all good poker books on my list) before I realized I was supposed to be shopping for others not myself, saved about $120.

DINGO8MYBABY

DINGO8MYBABY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Gordon's Little GOLD book, his new book, has the best explanation I've seen yet regarding the changes in style of play in holdem over the last couple of years.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well just found a year old Amazon gift certificate from last Christmas so ordered Hole Card Confessions and Elements of Poker also was in B&N again to buy presents and couldn't pass up Advanced Pot-Limit Omaha.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well just found a year old Amazon gift certificate from last Christmas so ordered Hole Card Confessions and Elements of Poker also was in B&N again to buy presents and couldn't pass up Advanced Pot-Limit Omaha.

underlined above... money well invested IMO. I have HCC but havent started it yet. Its on the list, to read since I want to participate in the accompanying thread.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
View attachment 41383 I bought it too . Very impressed how great he explains it . From setting up your settings on the poker site you play, table selecting, player types and how to play your hands correctly . If i could just lay down hands now that i know i am beat with ughhh :cool: You can buy his book on his Blog http://www.blackrain79.com/2011/11/announcing-release-of-my-book-crushing.html He says he is also offering a Q&A forum there if you buy the E-Book

thanks for this review, along with fletchdad's, Im gonna go and buy this now(thanks for link as well, coukdnt remember it)

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for this review, along with fletchdad's, Im gonna go and buy this now(thanks for link as well, coukdnt remember it)

I'm honestly not being a dick but you wont learn anything from that book that you havent been told here and ignored/argued with endlessly.

#justsayin

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks from me too, and same goes for buying the book but I'm going to hold off for a couple of days. My daughters game me a Kindle for Christmas and when, in my excitement, I went straight to the Kindle Store they told me to stop! "Mom, remember your birthday is on the 28th..." :)

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm honestly not being a dick but you wont learn anything from that book that you havent been told here and ignored/argued with endlessly.

#justsayin

nope, I guess you're not. And if you read my poker goals thread I said something along the lines of knuckling down in poker and gettting the job done, improving my game, getting my br all on one site and properly grinding, starting in 5 days time(2012). And for this last week Ive played exclusively at one site, one game(6max), and only ring. thats my start, thats all I can do. Having a printable book, full of good advice, as opposed to 1% brillaint advice here alongside 99% dick-posts by everyone, including myself, well Id take the book everytime. And I can read it and make notes etc. I just got flamed again tonight by 2 people who just wont leave our history alone, they know who they are, so why expect me to take advice generally when I get flamed relentlessly. as stated b4, I take all the advice I can get from certain people here(yourself included in that, i read your threads and make notes, sometimes), but some people here just wanna troll for troll's sake.

#justsayingtoo

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If you buy his E-book and take a 1 hour coaching lesson from him,there is no reason for you not to be a winning player. He has been charging $25.00 an hour to help you with your poker leaks or problems. It has helped my game tremendously . And what "Orangepeeleo" said, i have learned a ton on Cardschat since i have been a member, there is tons of great advice in the Cash game threads on how you should have played certain hands. This thread was about 'Books' . And this is a Book review i gave , if you want lots of free info post HH's in hand Analysis section make lots of notes , some of the most basic things in the book he talks about are very important steps that i bet are overlooked by lots of regs .. Thanks Chris:cool:

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can see when i Took a coaching lesson From Him :D
NATHAN SEPT

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you buy his E-book and take a 1 hour coaching lesson from him,there is no reason for you not to be a winning player. He has been charging $25.00 an hour to help you with your poker leaks or problems. It has helped my game tremendously . And what "Orangepeeleo" said, i have learned a ton on Cardschat since i have been a member, there is tons of great advice in the Cash game threads on how you should have played certain hands. This thread was about 'Books' . And this is a Book review i gave , if you want lots of free info post HH's in hand Analysis section make lots of notes , some of the most basic things in the book he talks about are very important steps that i bet are overlooked by lots of regs .. Thanks Chris:cool:

Chris, thanks for this. will defo get his book, (transferring now, as we speak), and his coaching sounds reasonable, but I will leave it till after Ive read the book, read the book again, then read the book again and understood it(It takes me 3 reads to get something!). Oh sh*t yeah, Ive learnt so much from CC its unreal, just the gems get hidden away behind some of the dick-waving 'my rolls bigger than yours', and flame-wars etc, so to have everything I need in a book at my fingertips will be immense.
gl at the tables in 2012, and nice garph!