Bluffing doesn't work for me, what is the trick?

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I certainly would not try to bluff when 3 or more players are in the hand, but for a good bluff to work you need to be in the right position at the right time.
You need to tell a story when playing a hand like if he is first to act you would call a bet on the flop, then if he bets turn try to raise him there if you feel he is bluffing.
If that does not work then the only bluff left is an all-in on the river.
Dangerous but you need a coordinated board for it to work well and hope he has nothing more than a pair, even 2 pairs would call if they see through your bluff.
Free-rolls are certainly the best place to try a good bluff because it will not cost anything but as I said they are more likely to call because it cost's them nothing also.

C

Chotcho

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Timing

Quick bets is a hit or miss sometimes. Bottom line is a bluff never works if the other player has a hand. Lol

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play a bluff the same way you play a strong hand. Before bluffing, you must open and show a pair of strong hands. Bluff in position. choose a suitable opponent.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you have to believe you have the strong hand and play confident.

M

mclaughlinph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff when you have outs on the board like a flush draw on the flop. You currently have a high card but if you get called by a better hand you can outdraw them on the turn or river if your flush comes.

B

bttrkks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What me helps a lot is to think through all streets at the flop already. Which turn and river card would make sense for a bluff.
Also you have to see the difference between a pure bluff and a semi bluff.

And for successful bluffs you need for sure to play the board as well. And always ask yourself it the bluff would make sense on your previous betting like to the current street. For example completed draws or when the board pairs can give a good opportunity to bluff.but the story has to makmakee sense

Good players will realise that something feels wrong for them if they story you want to tell with your bet doesn't make sense and then they might catch up and try to her fall you with lower pairs and even with Ace high.

And yeah sometimes you just have to follow your intentions. Let's say you bet the board and barrel the turn and your villain just pays of really unimpressed and quick it probably isn't a good ideab to bet the turn.

But let's say instead he thinks about his call on flop for a while and goes in the thinks again for a longer time you might be good to bluff in these spots.

So just think about your previous betting line and the reaction or of your villain and than you decide.

The more bluffs come through the more natural it will feel for you and you will get a feeling which spots are good to bluff and which arent

Last edited:
P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing only works when the player can fold. If they can't then you'd be handing them your stack for free.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing never works for me, players always seem to have hands, when I try. Always get caught myself, bluffing is what I need to work on.

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The trick is to bluff when they are going to fold and don't bluff when they call. Once you master that your good to go.

Y

yuurepoer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you make a bluf, you have to make sure that your image on the table is right for it.

another important thing is to pay attention to what you did earlier in the hand, so that the bluf is believable.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually bluffing works for nobody in freerolls because there is no monetary presure on the player you want to fold. Successful blulfs need high presure in order to provoke your opponent's mistake.

G

greenman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PoSiTION IS KEY. Timing is importent. You have to recognize weakness . Usually takes all three. Tell you most common tell of weakness is check on turn. Doesnt mean shove because sometimes its a trap. Nice bet tells you everyhing. If they call be aware. i win more hands than i ever lose. Most with great hands never pass on betting the turn. good luck

B

bttrkks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to pick good times, dry board, and just feel it, some bluffs you get through, some don't, also if it doesn't make sense or add up, I'm calling

Dry boards are not really great to bluff in my eyes. If villain showed weakness before you can try to steal the pot yes.

What you represent on a dry board? You might just bet into villains range.

Flushy, straight and paired boards are great to bluff where you can represent a really good hand

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing

Bluffing doesn't work 100% all the time, but there are key points in bluffing effectively. For me position,timing, and type of opponent is very important.

Comarata3456

Comarata3456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bragging doesn't work 100% all the time, but there are key points to bragging effectively. For me, position, timing and type of opponent are very important.
Estoy de acuerdo contigo creo que tienes que encontrar el momento lo uso mucho en party poker una vez que uno difícil venció a alguien le tiró un empate de besos así que el próximo seguramente irá en tu contra sin manos fuertes debido a la ira pero ojo no siempre funciona, lo único que da placer jaja

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So, I am now furious with frustration because I simply CAN NOT make a bluff go through.
I play Pokerstars online, and I have lost a few tournaments and too many hands to the evil of bluffing. Everyone else does it, but when I try, you bet they will not f*cking flinch!

What on earth are the magic to bluff? I am close to crying because of the frustration, so I therefore took a brake and figured I could ask someone instead of loosing in tilt mode.
Everyone who has played a bit can empathize. I've been bluffed on the river for a major pot (at least once) that I could have won because the other player bet out 1/3 of my entire stack. If I had pushed back all in I think he/she would have folded.
From my perspective, try to understand what bluffs have worked against you and why..was it position, was it a chip bully, was it your bad play like not being aggressive or not C-betting..etc...? Bluffing is a two edged blade that can cut you if you abuse it..so take baby steps. One of the most satisfying moments you can look forward to is to out-bluff a bluffer. When the other player folds and shows you their garbage and your garbage stinks worse than theirs that makes for a fine poker game!:D

One very important point in my opinion is to read the complexion of the board and to think about who has what and what it's worth to them to pursue making or protecting that hand. Price everyone out and make your play. Watch, learn and remember who does what..even if you don't make to showdown. You're playing the players and their tendencies when the flop is messy so be attentive because here is where one bluff can build on another by representing something that only you know you don't have.

Last edited:
Big_Banana

Big_Banana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is no trick, what matters is the position and knowledge about the opponent and I always bluff with vilian and loose every time

pablow

pablow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's no trick. you just do it less often maybe and read the situation better

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its pretty random, if they have a hand and can't fold then your bluff will never work, semi-bluff or have at least a pair as loads float with overcards, you can't win every bluff, just gotta control how much you lose on it, I often give up if I have no outs and continue with outs but even then you can get called down with bottom pair by a fish. just the way it goes.

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I am now furious with frustration because I simply CAN NOT make a bluff go through.
I play Pokerstars online, and I have lost a few tournaments and too many hands to the evil of bluffing. Everyone else does it, but when I try, you bet they will not f*cking flinch!

What on earth are the magic to bluff? I am close to crying because of the frustration, so I therefore took a brake and figured I could ask someone instead of loosing in tilt mode.
Its not magic to Bluff - Stop doing it

If your that desperate to win a hand with a ////////bluff ////////
I would strongly advise reading some of the poker articles on cardschat.
After reading cardschat a lot, my game has improved 99%:dancing2:

https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php

mimietmour

mimietmour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At first I was a big bluffer, but when noticing how much I lost......I stopped doing it and became tight.

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play micro-limits, and I never rely on bluffing. A poorly made calculation can knock you out of the table, rapidly ruining pre-built plans. The answering machine will still call You to the end, just to see what you have. And often, his hand will be better than Yours.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are playing the micros like me I would say bluffing is overrated. I would focus on playin your value hands to extract max value. Sure, there are some spots to bluff as long as your table image is tight, and they don't have to be multi-street showstoppers. Maybe just try to steal the blinds from late position and c-bet a dry flop when you are in position and your opp checks to you and you have a range advantage. That's a bluff that should work at least some of the time and if it doesn't it won't lose you all your chips. Also try and pick tight opponents to do this against. Don't try it against a Big blind who defends a lot or a maniac who like to 3bet. Just my 2 cents worth. GL on the tables.

C

CliffieDeuce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What seems to work for me.

Small bet on the flop, check the river and if a good card comes on the river then a 2/3 pot bet.
It works most times.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is actually a rather complicated topic worthy of a full chapter in any poker book. There are so many different situations that are worthy of discussion that covering them in this forum would be out of the question. One member suggested the Cardschat 30 day course. ,,that's an excellent idea. I would add just one suggestion. If you try a bluff don't make it for all your chips...that's a level of play you are not ready for. Instead keep it simple. Most bluffs are a post flop continuation bet when the initial raiser misses the board and bets anyway. The trick here is bet sizing. If you bet 1/3rd to 1/2 pot your opponent will often call because they don't perceive strength...bets like this post flop are quite common. Try a 3/4 pot or higher bet. If they call then shut down any further bluffs. If they come back with a huge raise just fold. You tried and failed but you still have chips. If you pay attention you will see others trying this play and, if you play often enough you will start to get a better feel for the dynamics of a poker hand and how things change on every street. Good luck.