Bluff

Delafere

Delafere

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Does it make sense to bluff and make normal bets of the same size?I try to bluff smaller

RoviP

RoviP

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It really all depends on the opponent, sometimes the same opponent will fold small bets, others will raise on top of your bet, impossible to follow a pattern if you want to be unpredictable.

Niveau1

Niveau1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
The bluff size depends on the preflop, flop, turn and when it comes to river, the pot size, stack size and the playing behavior of the villain. In the micro sector, a 2BB bluff is sometimes enough to drive the opponent away. However, remember the most important rule: Never bluff a calling station. It only costs nerves and chips.

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, thats the idea. If you change the size of your bet for bluffing and people notice it, it will be easier to distinguish it and you will become previsible. When bluffing, you want your oponent to believe that your are not, and to do so you really need to play like your are not, and that include the size of the bet. Of course, there is different kinds of players, and they will believe different things about you.

So if you want to change the size of your bet for bluffing, it need to be for adapt for what the different players would believe about you; not for if you are really bluffing or not.

I dont know if I made myself clear lol

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think it has been already well explained that the bet sizes for value bets and bluffs shield be consistent.

But another thing comes to my mind is that I don't understand the reason behind it in the first place:
The goal of bluffing is to make better hands fold. So why would that be achieved with betting smaller (than usual)? The first idea would probably be to bet bigger to make the other hands fold more easily/frequently.
(But as pointed out, this wouldn't be right either.)

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the bluff must be convincing) and do not be afraid to bluff on the dangerous river, many players do not complete the bluff on the river and lose money because of this, and of course, you need a competent balance of value bets and bluffs

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Does it make sense to bluff and make normal bets of the same size?I try to bluff smaller
It makes sense to bluff if you are a skilled enough and experienced player. Otherwise, your bluff will only bring you loss of money and disappointment.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Well I guess in one way it looks more like a bluff if it looks like you want them to call.... on the other hand too small could be driving a call you don't want, really depends on the player and your history with them in the game but generally keeping the bet the same size with various hands is harder to read... I mean for instance if a player notices you tend to make your bluffs smaller instead of the same size as you say.. that could be a real program for you

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is normal for me to only place bluff bets of the same amount as I place by amount

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it has been already well explained that the bet sizes for value bets and bluffs shield be consistent.

But another thing comes to my mind is that I don't understand the reason behind it in the first place:
The goal of bluffing is to make better hands fold. So why would that be achieved with betting smaller (than usual)? The first idea would probably be to bet bigger to make the other hands fold more easily/frequently.
(But as pointed out, this wouldn't be right either.)

There are cases when your actions pre and pos flop have made clear that your range of possible hands have just mid value. In that cases, betting too much can show inconsistency and make the odds of being called for bluffing actually worst than betting a lower amount. Like missing draws situations. Remember those guys that bet nothing on draw boards and at the river when nothing good shows up, they bet a entire pot bet? lol

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
There are cases when your actions pre and pos flop have made clear that your range of possible hands have just mid value. In that cases, betting too much can show inconsistency and make the odds of being called for bluffing actually worst than betting a lower amount.
But is it actually a bluff, when you have a medium-strength hand?

For me, a bluff is usually when I have nothing on river because either I missed my draw or missed the board completely.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you usually bet pot-sized on the river with your strongest hands and your bluffing frequency is less than half the draw frequency, then from a GTO point of view, you are not bluffing often enough. On the river, it is important to understand (again, this related to mathematics) that we need to bet to draw with our best hands and, all other things being equal, bluff with absolutely worst hands.This doesn't mean we need 7-2 offsuit to bluff. We should be bluffing with the worst hands we can have in our range at this point in the hand, given the developments on previous streets.

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, in places that people throw away

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bluffing is a move that induces your opponent to think that you have better game. Therefore, you should keep the same bet size, obeying the positions, but maintaining regularity.

A

Ayourway

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing in poker can be a complex strategy that requires a deep understanding of the game and the players at the table.
But, i really struggle to do it correctly.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think all the situation is different but when someone bluff he had to bet hard ......but some of the players bet all the time so its tough to know when he bluff

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situation at hand.
It's more of a semi-bluff than a bluff.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I'm making value of more chips sometimes to less chips. Same goes to bluffs, sometimes run them low sometimes high. This unpredictabilaty could make you really high, the key to be right timed.
The ratio is a bit different probably, cause we're not running big parties all the time, so we probably bluffing significantly more times for less chips than we do the very big ones. :)

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hi:)
Of course it is possible, it is possible if you show the opponents that you are not bluffing in your game, in general bluffing skills are considered one of the most important and best poker skills, but at the same time it is one of the most difficult skills because they can trap the player in the net of the "submarine" .
GL

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everything above is correctly said, and bluffing with a small bet when your opponent has a big pot does not fit, and so the best bluff is all in

Bazil777

Bazil777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is a crucial aspect of poker strategy, and it can be effective when done correctly. However, the size of your bets should depend on the situation at hand. If you are trying to bluff, you may want to consider making a smaller bet to limit your potential losses if your bluff fails. However, if you are confident in your hand, you may want to make a larger bet to increase your potential winnings.

It is also important to vary your bet sizing in order to avoid being predictable at the table. Making the same bet size every time can make it easier for your opponents to read your hand and potentially exploit you.

In summary, bluffing and bet sizing are both important components of poker strategy, and the optimal approach will depend on the specific situation you are in. It is important to remain flexible and adjust your strategy as needed based on the table dynamics and the behavior of your opponents.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If you want to bluff then you hope that your opponent will fold. To do this, you need to convince your opponent that you have a stronger hand or that he does not get the strong combination he wants to make. As a result, if you bet a little, your opponent will call and it will not be profitable for you to bet more to convince your opponent that you have a strong hand and prevent him from seeing the cards further, the more you need to bet

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
To be successful blufing, depends on what percentage of times the vilain folds for your bluff betting. Remember that the pot have to be worth.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluff in Poker is a great thing!.. This is an one important part of Game! But, by my opinion, is an one most difficult Skill...
I think, necessary more practice in this component...