Better strategy for freerolls?

F

FORZA MIKE

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i suck at free rolls sometimes i will make it and win a few bucks but when i take a bad beat i get so mad i tilt

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big field freerolls are not worth the time, but private freerolls with 100-300 participants can be lucrative. In big fields you have to gamble / get very lucky and play for so many hours. The smaller ones are like normal tournaments, decent play and good chances of a prize.
I play in freerolls like i play in MTT´s with buy-in.
But you also can gamble early, because you can´t lose money in freerolls, only time. Good luck ! :)
:cool:

S

santa fe slim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've been reading about the best strategies for freerolls because I routinely get ousted due to bad beats. I was wondering which strategy is better.

The first article I read encouraged playing a little loose earlier with an emphasis on increasing your chip stack earlier. The rational being that it's a freeroll so you have nothing to lose. And once you get to the middle rounds you play more conservative. And the closer you get to the money the more you should attack the small stacks to steal chips.

The second strategy is the more common... It stresses playing tight aggressive the whole way through the tournament only playing stronger hands. The problem with this is that my strong hands almost always get broken.

So I'm asking you all... What strategy works better for you? And how well do you usually fare in freerolls?

Both strategies are acceptable. I will play either way depending upon how I feel that day. No matter how you play, you will often be ousted by bad beats. Either way, big freerolls are indeed a donkfest and luck is heavily weighted in determining the outcome.
I remember reading a article, I think it was on FT by Phil Gordon. Anyway, the upshoat was, even if you went into each hand a 2:1 preflop favorite, over the course of a large tourney, the probability is very good that someone will suck out on you.....there are just too many hands and luck becomes a huge factor. So just realize that and roll with the punches.

Last edited:
belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see a point that was only lightly touched on but bears repeating.

Do not bluff on a freeroll.

bluffing is all about indicating you have some kind of specific hand. The trouble is that your playing against many people (present company excluded of course) who have no idea what hand they have so how can they possible know what your supposed to?

I've played a some freerolls and built my meagre bankroll from it and the amount of time and effort and tears it took makes me stay within my current BR as I never want to go through that again.

I do not think it matters if you play TAG or LAG earlier. Your not really in a game where you can exploit tendencies of your opponents except to know that when you get the nuts you will likely be paid off.

The only strategy is determination and patience.

C

cheermom48017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gamble it up

I will call 2 or more allins with almost any 2 cards the 1st couple levels because you are usually getting good odds, and alot of freerollers will shove with very little, if i get knocked out i have wasted only 10 to 20 minutes but if i triple up two or 3 times i have a much better chance to go deepand then i tighten up but play premium hands very agressively. I made 5 final tables that i remember with 3 top 3 finishes playing this way.I have read a few good books that helped me with the actual playing late in tourneys and i havent had to play any in quite a while because i moved on to small to medium buyin MTT and have done pretty good so my bankroll is all good now, one of my favorite books is the full tilt one by there pros it helped alot, gl at the tables!!!:D

SlySwagga

SlySwagga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, everybody talks about the CC freerolls, well where r they? When do we start?

I'm sick of those 7500ppl freerolls man. There is no rationality whatsoever. Nobody plays poker there until ur down to about 500ppl. If u ever get there...

tarinoidenkertoja

tarinoidenkertoja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best you can do is try the national freerolls (while there is a donkeyfest there too) but at least you ve to face 800 people and the first 20 cash , i ve made some cash there and then i played 0,01/0,02 plo cash games , i think that donks there will pay you a lot more than in sng´s or tournaments

B

bigbigbucs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the latter of advice. Play your best right from the start. Play tight. Wait out a couple of few blind levels but always play your best abcpoker. Play freerolls just like you were playing for cash. Otherwise you will bring bad habbits to the real cash tourneys. And yes the bad habbits will haunt your bankroll. Trust me on that one. Goodluck in turning a buc.

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to win a big 3000+ public freeroll, you need to get chips quick. I'd rather double or triple up early or go out, I don't want to fight my way through the masses for 4 hours only to get sucked out by some big stack calling station. Here's my advice:
-shove any marginal or better hand asap. Seriously. Any Ace, K10+, 66+, suited connectors over 45.
I know this isn't really "playing poker," but until you get at least halfway through one of these things you're not really playing poker anyway, and to think so would be bad. Just shove, if you get busted, no big deal, and you haven't wasted a bunch of time. If you do 2x or 3x your stack, then you can sit back, mellow out and start to play some cards.
I'm probably going to get flamed for suggesting this, but whatever - I've taken down that bodog freeroll that you mentioned, and gone deep in a few others using this strategy.

E

eamesy4980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll tips.

Freerolls are just a joke. Nobody takes them seriously as they dont have anything to lose. You are going to get bad beat at some stage espeically against so many players. If you are all in with a better pair you are 4 to 1. But you are all in 5 times with the better pair then you are favourite to get knocked out! If you are 60/40 2 times your fav to get knocked out. if your 75% fav all in heads up play that 3 times your fav to get knocked out. doesnt matter how much favourite you are in 1 hand over a period of a donkfest like a freeoll you will get bad beat. you have to be very very very lucky to get in cash, and thats the same in any tourney/ sit n go. there will be many times your all in and will lose when big favourite. Think of it you 60% fav you win you double up. next time your all in and again your fav. but you lose to 40% chance. over 2 all ins when your 60% fav both times you are actually more likely to get knocked out than you are to stay in. To in a freeroll you have to be very very very lucky. To win sit n gos you have to be very lucky and a good player. To win a tourney again have to be very veyr lucky and a good player. Thats why cash games AND bankroll managemtn is the way to win money. When your 60/ 40 fav then double up get the hell off the table lol Dont go in 60/40 aganst a guy same size stack as you. yes your 60/40 to win BUT like a sitn go or tourney in 2 60/40s your more likely to lose your full stack rather than double up twice. If you have any sort of money dont play freerolls, they are for fun and for bingo NOT poker. if you wnat freebankroll look up the free bankrolls on offer when sign up for certain sites. or lookup the deposit bonuses etc. Dont play freerolls your sanity is at serious risk. Freerolls are for fun, sit n gos are for fun/money cash games are for cash that simple. double up get hell off table and return with the original stack size. Thats my tip.

E

eamesy4980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It also depends on your bankroll and circumstances. If you playing it desperate to get some money to start a bankroll then tight is best. BUt if have bankroll then you gamble. Try triple up, try get ahead of the field. you will get knocked out early a lot of the time BUT a few times youl get a good headstart and have a much better chance of getting in the money. After all its free so taking the gamble to give yourself a better start is the best. Just annoying when wait so long for the tourney only to go bust straight away lol. Freerolls take the gamble.. once youl get the headstart you need and then tighten up and play your normal game remembering how donks play, dont bluff, call all ins with top pair etc as donks will go in with 2nd pair. Never fold jacks in freerolls donks will go all in with pair of 3s lol

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I like the first strategy better. It makes you more of a participant, and you have to be active in knowing down when to lay your hand down.

A key part is playing position. You should be most active in late position generally, especially against a tight table.

When is a typical online freeroll EVER a 'tight table'? answer-> NEVER!

In freerolls you need to typically make your preflop raises sizes much bigger than in a typical tournament (5x instead of 3x for starters).

Don't slowdown with your big hands... don't try to do small milky bets... even preflop if you get AA/KK/QQ preflop, try to get all of the chips in the middle. (even crazy 3bet shoves in some cases because the idiots will stack off preflop with junk.. ie. AJ, AT, even worse.. like A8s, etc.... so just get it in!!).

hmmm,well i would go with the 1st strategy since i dont wanna be a short stack sitting ther for 6 hours and getting nothing so i build my stack well (in the top 20%) by playing agro and then i tighten up and play strong hands mostly and before the bubble if i have a good stack i get very loose and bully short stacks and stay away from the big ones and then if i'm lucky i cash or get FT...

I'd pretty much do the opposite of this ^ (lol)

claudel

claudel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good threat here...

i usually have a bad beat and i get out...

i will try to apply some strategies..from here thx

intiekkeko

intiekkeko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whichever strategy you choose there will be success and loss it is freerolls after all but I think playing tight aggressive will serve you better in the long run as you won't have to adjust when u start playing real money

inti

mars_attack

mars_attack

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter what strategy you choose, if it does not involve luck you will not succeed. It is sad but real.

Freeroll Passwords