Best of and Worst of it

Sobewan

Sobewan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was a post I shared with my FB.homies and I thought it might interest newer players to see a little hand analysis along with the 'definitions' of Best and Worst.

#SportsExpert #HoldingThem

In NL Hold'em poker you'll hear pros evaluate themselves by asking, "Did I get it in with the best of it?" i.e. At the time I bet all my chips did I hold the most likely winning hand? Example below: I flop the straight and the ONLY flush/straight flush possibilities, my opponents go all-in before me with ONLY runner runner 7-7, 6-6, 5-6, or 5-7 able to beat my hand: worse than that because only a single five, and two each of sixes and sevens remain in the 'deck'. (assuming here they haven't been burned or folded by other players?)

But the thing that's really challenging is putting all your chips in when you are probably beat (now) but because the chips you'll earn and the chance of winning those chips create 'positive equity' (profit in large enough samples) you technically "should" take the big risk. We call this process, "calculating pot odds."

"Worst of It" means if neither of our hands improve I lose. Example below: Heads up with a decent but "tight"(cautious) player who pushes what's left of his chips in after we see that 9-10-K rainbow flop with a potential straight. Here I have only a pair of QQ and his bet could mean he has the straight OR like what he ended up showing, any of the three possible sets or even pocket AA. Weaker Kings like K-2 through K-7 aren't very likely with my opponents style so I dismiss these threats. But again, I'm probably beat after that flop, yet thought he would have pushed pre-flop with any of AA, AK, or KK, maybe KQ so?? If I call the all-in and he shows 10-J, 10-10, etc. I can still tie/win with any J or Q... plus, if you fold big pairs every time an over-card comes you'll leak a TON of value. So I call and catch up to win the tournament right there.

#ItsStatsProb #BourneJedi #UrPlayingCheckers :vroam::bike:

Attachments

• worst.jpg
    worst.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 9
  • bestif.jpg
    bestif.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 11